General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Honda recalling 1.3 million Fit hatchback for potential headlight loss

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Honda recalling 1.3 million Fit hatchback for potential headlight loss

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Honda said Thursday morning it is recalling more than1.3 million Honda Fit vehicles globally for potential headlight problems.

Honda Motor Co. (HMC) said it will recall 1,355,217 Honda Fit cars globally from model years 2007 and 2008 because of a "potential loss of low-beam headlight functionality."

Honda said the problem stems from plating on the wiring harness connectors for the low-beam circuit, which "can become worn after repeated use." Worn plating could corrode "and cause the connector to overheat and fail, resulting in a loss of low-beam headlight functionality," Honda said in a statement.

The American division of Honda said the recall includes 143,083 Fit vehicles in the U.S.

Owners of these vehicles should bring them to a Honda dealer for inspection and for possible replacement of worn parts, the automaker said.
No accidents have been reported as a result of this problem, Honda said
via CNNMoney.com

Old 12-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
blah, ive yet to take the car in for the driver door switch recall.

i'll take it in when i sell it.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Strangely i believe I know someone with this issue.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm, mine may fall under this recall. My driver side connector popped out on Nov. 29th and it also blew the low beam for that bulb.

/subscribed

Old 12-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
Hmm, mine may fall under this recall. My driver side connector popped out on Nov. 29th and it also blew the low beam for that bulb.

/subscribed
i'm not sure, but that doesn't sound like it has to do with this recall

Old 12-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Is this recal in canada as well? anybody know?Also, if it is, should the car be back to stock before bringing it in? Like stock bulbs and what not?

Old 12-16-2010, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
The other day my projectors cut out. Messed around some of the wires and they flicked on then the car died altogether. Im guessing this recall may something to do with it. I did do a retrofit so im not sure if voiding the warranty will have anything to do with this.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I just got an e-mail from my friend that I car show with about this recall. I've had the two before fixed by Honda without any problems. I've always felt something was not right with these headlights on the Fit especially when it seems they dim out at times.

Cat

Old 12-16-2010, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
i'm not sure, but that doesn't sound like it has to do with this recall
Its a possibility. Whether it is or not, I still lost a low beam.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cat
I just got an e-mail from my friend that I car show with about this recall. I've had the two before fixed by Honda without any problems. I've always felt something was not right with these headlights on the Fit especially when it seems they dim out at times.

Cat
The lights dim whenever an additional load is added such as the A/C compressor or rolling a window up/down. Totally normal.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
what if you're running hids?

Old 12-17-2010, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
I'm not 100% sure if someone with HIDs would fall under the recall since I don't know what the HID kits include/replace. However, under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the tech would have to prove that your HIDs are the cause of the problem and not the recalled connectors in order to prevent you from getting the recall performed.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
haha ive gotten the headlight low beam loss a bunch of times

Old 12-17-2010, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
The lights dim whenever an additional load is added such as the A/C compressor or rolling a window up/down. Totally normal.
dimming is normal, loss of lowbeam is not. my fit does it sometimes. instead of the lights going out, they will go to high beam

Old 12-17-2010, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
if you have HID's and this is happening your unit could be going out. honda wont touch it though since you have aftermarket items in the headlight.

people come in to our dealer all the time with HID's and we wont touch them. We had a case where a customer came in with hid's and HE didnt ground them correct and it fried his whole harness. WE had to replace it because our dealership worked on the car even though we didnt touch his headlights he complained that since he brought it in, we messed them up

Last edited by redrumm; 12-17-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
dimming is normal, loss of lowbeam is not. my fit does it sometimes. instead of the lights going out, they will go to high beam
Mine always dim as well. I was wondering if a voltage stabilizer would correct this. Anybody know?

Old 12-17-2010, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
its the wiring that GOES to the light right? so if i just put it back to stock then they'll fix it?

Old 12-18-2010, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by alvarospatchez
Mine always dim as well. I was wondering if a voltage stabilizer would correct this. Anybody know?
not really. our cars are so new that it probably wouldnt benefit to replace our nice, fresh grounding wires with... nice, fresh grounding wires.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:44 PM
I hate to revive an old thread, but I just thought I'd bring this up again. My my wife had this issue in May 2010. When she brought it to the dealership, they said the connector for the combination switch wasn't plugged in all the way. They blamed it on the fact that there were wires for the microphone for her Parrot and charged her $200.

Fast forward to tonight, and the same thing happened. No low beams, but parking lights and high beams work. The relay clicks and there is 12 volts at both low beam fuses. I talked to a friend of mine that works at Honda and he told me which wire to look for. I believe it's position 3 or 4 on the harness plug and has a red/white wire. I popped off the steering column cover and disconnected the harness from the combination switch. You could tell the wire overheated because it was burned around the connector and the wire was black.

I'd fix it myself because I'm sure that I have that wire terminal in my pile of wire harness parts, but since Honda will fix it under the recall, I'm going to bring it to them tomorrow morning.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
^^ wow... that is just unacceptable to have burnt wiring... well, the reason for the recall.

hope your car's fixed

Quick Reply: Honda recalling 1.3 million Fit hatchback for potential headlight loss