General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Testing 87 vs. 93 octane for better mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
maximum timing advance is at cruise with no/low load TC..
Yes that is a given.. I guess I should of said there is less timing advance being pulled when the throttle is open under load....

Old 03-26-2012, 04:45 AM
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
You cant compare old technology to new. Honda and all cars from 96 has a form of adaptive timing due to the knock sensor. Premium is about 6 percent more efficient if knock is not present and more if your car knocks on regular which a black sooty tailpipe that you can do a wipe test with your finger is the tell tale sign.

Air Fuel Tuning | Tuning A/F | ECU Tuning Info on the ecu timing.
the 1988 olds 98 reg brougham had distributorless ignition,electronic egr sensor which was controlled by th computer and many bells and whistles that i think i had more sensors or just as much as my honda along with roller lifters for the valves for a friction free engine for fuel efficiency plus add the multi point fuel injection like i said years of research and owning many different cars I spent more time in car mags that i probably knew almost all there is to know about cars. I even had sensors to control the air shocks so the car could keep at its right ride height and keep the rear from droping when you accelerated hard onto the highway and i never had a sooty exhaust pipe on any of my cars like i said worked on em every month cause i always worked far from home and most of my cars were 100k + my olds was 180k

Last edited by craigquakertown; 03-26-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by craigquakertown
the 1988 olds 98 reg brougham had distributorless ignition,electronic egr sensor which was controlled by th computer and many bells and whistles that i think i had more sensors or just as much as my honda along with roller lifters for the valves for a friction free engine for fuel efficiency plus add the multi point fuel injection like i said years of research and owning many different cars I spent more time in car mags that i probably knew almost all there is to know about cars. I even had sensors to control the air shocks so the car could keep at its right ride height and keep the rear from droping when you accelerated hard onto the highway and i never had a sooty exhaust pipe on any of my cars like i said worked on em every month cause i always worked far from home and most of my cars were 100k + my olds was 180k
That was a great car. I kinda forgot about the old tech and how it is similar. Gasoline was better back then too and ethanol was only in a few places. I do not like ethanol and premium seems to have less or none at all.

I have 2 Civics now and my wife uses regular and cant break 30 mpg and usually gets around 20. I have no problem breaking 40 most of the time in my car and have a 2 year winter/summer of 37. I am driving the wife's car this week to clean the system. I filled up with premium and added barrymans b12 and hooked up the scan gauge. The timing and mpg fuel usage is total different to my car but it is starting to adapt. She complained about no power, hard starting and bad mpg with a rough idle. So far I see just the rough idle but I am blaming that on ethanol and carbon build up which should be gone by the end of the week.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:34 AM
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
That was a great car. I kinda forgot about the old tech and how it is similar. Gasoline was better back then too and ethanol was only in a few places. I do not like ethanol and premium seems to have less or none at all.

I have 2 Civics now and my wife uses regular and cant break 30 mpg and usually gets around 20. I have no problem breaking 40 most of the time in my car and have a 2 year winter/summer of 37. I am driving the wife's car this week to clean the system. I filled up with premium and added barrymans b12 and hooked up the scan gauge. The timing and mpg fuel usage is total different to my car but it is starting to adapt. She complained about no power, hard starting and bad mpg with a rough idle. So far I see just the rough idle but I am blaming that on ethanol and carbon build up which should be gone by the end of the week.
you got to really open the car up a few times but yeah it should clear up. I used to do a highway run once a week when i knew the highway was clear so i could let her stretch her legs. and yes when I bought the car I was so suprised at all the technology those cars had I would buy another one as a second car if I could. and i have to say they were great on gas I loved the car and cried when I sold it

Last edited by craigquakertown; 03-27-2012 at 04:44 AM.