General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Is Costco gas the same quality as Shell/Chevron?

Old 01-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
For some reason my 99 accord moves like a slug and unresponsive on MOBIL. Can't be the station where I got MOBIL from as I did tried 3 different stations with same result. I have never used MOBIL ever since. Is there truth in a car getting used to a specific gas? The accord was on SUNOCO 95% of the time. Yes, gas is gas but...

Have you ever reset the ECU? Yank the battery terminals for 10-20minutes, touch the leads together for a minute and then put them back on the battery and see what happens!

The car can get used to a specific gas if used for long enough as long as the gas is consistent!

Not all gas is equal!

Old 01-14-2011, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Well I'm just thrilled someone finds it interesting lol I hear ya on that, my relatives have been pushing me and the long term GF to get married but we are taking our sweet time.. and you should do.

No sense in rushing a decision like that.

As far as asian families.. it always reminds me of the "High Expectations Asian Father" which incidentally looks and sounds a lot like my friend Stephens dad when being sarcastic:

Nothing wrong with a focus on work ethic and education!

But these had us cracking up, hope you enjoy!
HAHAH... I can relate to at least one of those. I freaking hauled ass in high school... nearly straight As with one B ("English" is not my strong suit). what'd I get? "you can do better." WHAT?!? that was when i started "rebelling."

as for the marriage "rush." I am taking it easy... maybe a little too easy. being GF-less has its downsides. suffering from insomnia. the only time I have absolutely no trouble sleeping... is when there's someone else there.

Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
For some reason my 99 accord moves like a slug and unresponsive on MOBIL. Can't be the station where I got MOBIL from as I did tried 3 different stations with same result. I have never used MOBIL ever since. Is there truth in a car getting used to a specific gas? The accord was on SUNOCO 95% of the time. Yes, gas is gas but...
hum... maybe I'll try switching to another brand on my next fill up and see how it goes. not too long ago, I noticed there was a change on the credit card receipt from Mobil... it now lists some independent name... which was making me wonder if I should switch (if for no other reason, to see how the Fit reacts to another brand).

Old 01-14-2011, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
I have a problem with Asian people... I just hate it when I am talking to a sweet little kid that has the ability to make me feel like an ignorant redneck without even realizing it... They need to put their kids on an all American fast food diet, make them sit in front of the boob toob and buy them comic books... A single father friend of mine had taken notice of the way some Asian people raised their kids and liked the results of what he saw and applied the same to his daughter, she's at MIT taking graduate courses in nuclear engineering... The kid was licensed to operate a nuclear reactor at UT before she graduated from high school.. She was eleven when I met her and it was very obvious to me that she was working hard to not make me feel stupid.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Fast food? Check. Hamburgers, pizza, hot dogs... Oh yeah!

Boob tube? CHECK! Top Gear! Though that require downloading the video since I don't have the BBC channels.

Comic books? Oh yeah. I've read quite a few. Though I admit, I like Japanese manga a bit more than Marvel or DC comic books. But ya gotta admit, in the world of super-powered superheroes... Batman kicks ass!

Licensed to operate a nuclear reactor before graduating high school?!? Shit, now I feel old AND stupid at the same time.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
Costco is now Mobil gas, seen one of theirs fuel carriers delivering. Mobil is one of the biggest suppliers under the Generic name. Shell, Bp would not sell there gas unless there name was on it. I found this The Milwaukee Sentinel - Google News Archive Search. Its a ad for Amoco thats 33 years old. Keep in mind compression ratios were low and still had 89 octane leaded. Amoco sold unleaded gas for over 95 years and I think they know something about it. Amoco was the first to use ethanol in there regular and alot of people hated that. But there premium is different and ethanol would fall out if it was used because of the aromatics. I believe they use more alykates now to raise the octane instead of aromatics.

Additives are more than detergents, it also toluene, alcohols, ethers, motor alyklates, any single ingredient to get the fuel into spec.

BTW If you see a ultimate,Vpower truck they are only dropping their premium gas at Bp,Shell. They use other carriers for the regular/mid grade.

I just found this Amoco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fuels | Amoco Ultimate® with Invigorate

Last edited by SilverBullet; 01-15-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:40 AM
As a Mobil station manager let me tell you, that gas stations are independent. My job is to find cheepest gas I can find, since gas stations make no money on sales of gas. Store is what make money (candy,gum, tabbaco etc.) pick up credit cards from clients can also generate big income for the gas station. 99% of the time Speedway gas is the cheepest, so this is what we sell. The same truck deliver gas to Shell and BP down the street. Yeh... Mobil is on the door, but the only thing made by Mobil we sell is the oil. However every morning Mobil (by phone) tell us what the price will be that day. We make 0.02 to 0.03 cents per gal. sold. Chevron is the only one that require sale of Chevron gas. So bottom line ... you don't know what you have in your tank anyway.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
Back in the sixties when major brand gasoline prices were $.29.9 or lower for regular the Texaco station my father owned was making $.05 a gallon and the fuel was brought in from the Texaco tank farm off of Singleton Blvd and Loop 12 in West Dallas... We were a full service station that also did service and repairs also selling tires, doing wash and waxing by hand.... We made more per gallon than company owned stations because we owned everything except for the Texaco banjo sign and Texaco leased everything back from us ... It was only a four pump station but we had as many as 4 or 5 people on duty during peak hours and usually 2 people on at night... We had to work our asses off and had no time to do anything unrelated to selling gas fixing flats, servicing and repairing cars but we did have a Coke machine... We had a drive in grocery store next door but it was a separate operation....

Old 04-02-2012, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
I have been using the Valero station down the street from me since I bought my Fit in 2010. It consistently has the least expensive gas in town and I know the manager. She said when prices of gas go up, they are paying more for the fuel--so there is no profit. Profit comes from cigarette, drink & snack sales. That Big Gulp or equivalent that you pay $1.99 for cost them about 12 cents.
The only time I used different gas was on a cross country road trip. I have seen no performance difference. The only thing that gives me better mpg is moderate highway driving 45-55 mph. I wonder how much all the major gas stations paid to make the Top Tier Video? What a load of crap.

Last edited by sooznd; 04-02-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by Tom49504
As a Mobil station manager let me tell you, that gas stations are independent. My job is to find cheepest gas I can find, since gas stations make no money on sales of gas. Store is what make money (candy,gum, tabbaco etc.) pick up credit cards from clients can also generate big income for the gas station. 99% of the time Speedway gas is the cheepest, so this is what we sell. The same truck deliver gas to Shell and BP down the street. Yeh... Mobil is on the door, but the only thing made by Mobil we sell is the oil. However every morning Mobil (by phone) tell us what the price will be that day. We make 0.02 to 0.03 cents per gal. sold. Chevron is the only one that require sale of Chevron gas. So bottom line ... you don't know what you have in your tank anyway.
I wasn't aware the plural of anecdote was data.

You can bet they aren't pumping cheap crappy gas at the Shell and BP stations around here.

The first time someone's +$200k AMG Biturbo, AMS R35, Bentley Continental GT or Heffner TT Gallardo pops its top because of poor fuel.. that station can expect to be sued out of existence.

I've seen it happen

So, like I said in January of last year in this very thread:

Not all gas is equal!
Those of us running standalone ECMs with Ethanol sniffers know it immediately.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
When low lead gas was first mandated Texaco had to put in a 4000 gallon tank in at my father's station..As the new fiberglass tank was laid into place a friend of mine that rode a Norton Commando pulled in and started laughing, warning us that it was going to leak like hell and need to be replaced... He was right on the money we found out when a brand new Buick Riviera that a guy had just bought and stopped to fill up quit running a few miles away... I asked my friend how he knew it would happen and he said his new Norton's tank was melting away inside and strands of fiberglass were clogging his fuel line and getting into his float bowls.... I have found that Valero and Citgo gas works just fine.. I had problems with Shell and Conoco on a few of my cars and all of my fuel injected motorcycles... Conoco regular would trigger the CEL in my GMC Safari and using the premium killed my mileage averages..

Old 04-05-2012, 03:49 PM
all fuels have detergents, some companies just have more advertising bucks to make people believe they are the only ones.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:31 AM
The gas that I purchase at Costco is usually equivalent, only cheaper since I have a membership card. Costco does not put anything in the gas. I know of, that would cause a major problem for my gas tank, when you put gas in my car from Shell or Chevron, it is not any different and runs precisely just the same.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:37 AM
Lewis, just because you can't tell a difference doesn't mean that there isn't one. Long-term, the detergents in higher-quality fuel will help keep the fuel system cleaner by removing deposits of carbon from the fuel injectors, rail, and intake valves. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you were tearing down your engine and comparing it to one run under similar conditions with higher-quality fuel. After 50-100K miles, however, the difference would be quite noticable. I've torn down plenty of engines run on cheap fuel, and they ALWAYS have monster deposits on the valves and in the heads. If you're not planning on keeping the car for more than 3-5 years, will it hurt you to run the cheap stuff? Not likely. But the next guy will likely pay for it in reduced power, increased emissions, and reduced fuel economy, not to mention reduced longevity of the engine- Mark W.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Lewis, next time you have a thought.. let it go.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Lewis, next time you have a thought.. let it go.
... Nuf said...

Old 09-20-2012, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
NIGgAA i dnt put that water down shit in my gass tank NIggaa-Katt Williams

Last edited by Wafulz; 09-20-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think it makes sense for the brand-name oil companies to allow their branded stations to buy the cheapest gas possible. The stations may be independently owned, but maintaining quality control is going to be a key business concern for the oil major. Maybe the Mobil station you manage is one of a few that has a special agreement, or maybe Mobil as a company really just doesn't view it as something the customer cares about, but I suspect that in MOST cases if it says Shell or whatever on the front, that is what is going into the tank.

Interesting tip on BP. I have generally used Shell on the Fit so far and happy with it, but I'll try BP if there is one around.

I'll point out that the GE Fit owners manual specifically states that use of "Top Tier" gas is recommended. If the manufacturer sees fit to call that out, you can bet there is some difference. Whether Costco is on the list ... well they have a website for the industry association and you can look it up if you want, I haven't

Old 11-09-2012, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
I don't think it makes sense for the brand-name oil companies to allow their branded stations to buy the cheapest gas possible. The stations may be independently owned, but maintaining quality control is going to be a key business concern for the oil major. Maybe the Mobil station you manage is one of a few that has a special agreement, or maybe Mobil as a company really just doesn't view it as something the customer cares about, but I suspect that in MOST cases if it says Shell or whatever on the front, that is what is going into the tank.

Interesting tip on BP. I have generally used Shell on the Fit so far and happy with it, but I'll try BP if there is one around.

I'll point out that the GE Fit owners manual specifically states that use of "Top Tier" gas is recommended. If the manufacturer sees fit to call that out, you can bet there is some difference. Whether Costco is on the list ... well they have a website for the industry association and you can look it up if you want, I haven't
I believe Mobil supplies unbranded gas. That is why they are so big. In my new car I used Shell all blends and can tell you their regular is good. midgrade stay away from because it lowers mpg. Their premium is good but did not see the timing BP does. My car fuel trims are high with all blends but when I use premium I see the car learning but conditions are changing so the fuel trims are not changing. I prefer BP and that is what is easier to get but because of the bad gas I've stay away for a few months.

Top Tier is just a minimum standard with ethanol guaranteed in the fuel in my opinion. Branded gas is going to make sure there is no problems with their fuels because their name is on it but all gas is different so mpg and driveability is different from brand to brand and tank to tank even from the same station.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
The August, 2012 BP debacle in the Chicago area ought to let you see how fuel (gasoline) is sold and delivered in most geographic areas. A given refinery or terminal supplies all fuel, regardless of brand, in any given geographic area. Fuel distribution Geographic Areas are usually defined by county. There are a few exceptions like the Maracopa County and Phoenix area. On top of that the EPA and some of the states set the standards (primarily oxygenates and vapor pressure) for all retail fuel in each geographic area. So to say a certain brand is different than an other brand is in most cases is incorrect. Yes, the retailers want you to buy from them and will sell you things like "with invigorate" to try to get you to their store and to try to get you to pay more for their fuel.

As an example all fuel sold in the Chicago geographic area comes from one of two refineries no matter what brand name you by it under. The BP Whiting, In. refinery supplies 70% and the Exon-Mobil refinery in Channahon (Joliet), IL supplies the other 30%.

All deliveries to all brands of retail stations are done by two trucking companies. (Flying J-Pilot is an exception to this). Here is the web page for the company hauling out of the Joliet refinery. McMahon Transport Group Notice some of the brands serviced.

When BP recently screwed up on a batch of fuel, All brand retailers were affected. BP, Marathon, Shell, Costco, Luke oil, Speedway, Mobil, Valero (former Citgo), and Meijer and many smaller brands all had customers with claims for the damage. BP paid to fix all of them no matter what retail brand sold the fuel. They also gave all affected purchasers an additional $100 gift card.

If you move to the next counties east of Chicago area, all fuel is delivered out of two terminals located in Niles, Michigan. Guess where the fuel pipelines come from? Whiting and Joliet. In the pipeline they do not put 6000 gallons in for a BP station and then change the next 4000 for a Marathon station followed by a different mix for the local discount fuel retailer.

So get over it, In today's fuel refining environment all of the little tea kettle refineries are gone. There are are only a few major refineries making all fuel to meet the various EPA and in some cases state dictated fuel mixes. That fuel is then delivered and sold under various brand names in your geographic area.

Note: Ethanol mixed fuel is not shipped mixed through the pipelines. The fuel is shipped ethanol free and then mixed at the terminal. The ethanol is delivered by truck and rail to the terminal and mixed locally.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:51 PM
I've used Chevron over 20 years and I have to say I've never had a performance or gas related issue ever. So I'll stick with it in my new Fit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is Costco gas the same quality as Shell/Chevron?