General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Is Costco gas the same quality as Shell/Chevron?

Old 11-18-2012, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by n9cv
In 1995 the EPA issued a rule stating what detergents must be used in all automotive gasoline sold at retail.
Correct but that is not enough with the higher output cars and only a minimum. Bp ultimate says 4 times and Shell V power says 5 times that amount. That is one reason why I use premium.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Shell V power says 5 times that amount. That is one reason why I use premium.
All Shell grades meet Top Tier standards, not just premium.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spreadhead
All Shell grades meet Top Tier standards, not just premium.
I knew that and I know that top tier is better than generic gas. Sunoco and BP both make a great fuel's too and neither is top tier. Top tier in my opinion means it contains ethanol which is not good for mpg and motor and they have to pay for the tests and cant change the ingredients for 2 years of the sample's that is accepted.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:48 PM
You are buying additives when you buy brands. That's about as far as you can go.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by irev210
You are buying additives when you buy brands. That's about as far as you can go.
Yes and all brands have them in different amounts which is why they are different. What brand do you use?

Old 01-01-2013, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
This explains top tier gasoline and about the additives. http://www.nealswheals.com/NealsVisi...tion_FINAL.pdf

Old 02-27-2013, 03:54 AM
Originally Posted by Wafulz
COstco suk put some in the other day its sucks lol End of story put shell in gas is better
In English Please.....

Old 02-27-2013, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
In English please.... ? Cool Story Bro I take it you put that water down stuff

Costco vrs Shell so far shell works for me i feel costco burns faster i drive same route everyday eat at same spot every day lol So yup In English please.... ?

Old 02-27-2013, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member

Costco vrs Shell so far shell works for me i feel costco burns faster i drive same route everyday eat at same spot every day
that's what i notice too when i put arco gasoline specially chevron gas, the mpg i get is less...
but when i put shell premium i get longer mpg driving city and highway
thats why i always use shell gas (premium) and i notice my car accelerate a little faster and runs smoother

Last edited by phenoyz; 02-27-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
I know a lot of people here have said that their cars do better when using Shell gasoline but I have gotten better performance using almost any other major brand (except Conoco)... Citgo and Valero premium have always resulted in more ignition advance at higher percentage of throttle position consistently than any of the other major brands I have used... I first noticed this on BMW motorcycles followed by a couple of Volvos and two 4.3 liter GMC trucks.. Putting a scan gauge on my Fit substantiated what my butt dyno had been telling me for years...On my 1997 GMC Safari van the CEL would always come on when I used 87 octane Conoco. My Fit and the other cars just felt very sluggish but the CEL never lit up...

Old 02-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Citgo and Valero premium have always resulted in more ignition advance at higher percentage of throttle position consistently than any of the other major brands I have used... I first noticed this on BMW motorcycles followed by a couple of Volvos and two 4.3 liter GMC trucks.. Putting a scan gauge on my Fit substantiated what my butt dyno had been telling me for years...On my 1997 GMC Safari van the CEL would always come on when I used 87 octane Conoco. My Fit and the other cars just felt very sluggish but the CEL never lit up...
This is interesting, I might have to give Valero 91 a try as it's just about the same price as top tier regular in my area. If I put in Valero 87 the car will run and idle poorly usually. Ended up putting in some no-name station gas in from Reno the other day out of convenience and couldn't wait to empty the tank out

Old 02-27-2013, 10:07 PM
In English please.... ? Cool Story Bro I take it you put that water down stuff

Costco vrs Shell so far shell works for me i feel costco burns faster i drive same route everyday eat at same spot every day lol So yup In English please.... ?
No I use Chevron but I could not understand your lack of grammar and spelling.

Last edited by Logans07Fitty; 02-27-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Logans07Fitty
No I use Chevron but I could not understand your lack of grammer and spelling.
Wafulz is a good guy that somehow got Hondata to realize there was a market for their Flashpro tuning device for GD3 owners... I had trouble making sense of his post at first too. Either I have adjusted to his style of communicating or he has modified it to be more easily understood... I noticed that you misspelled grammar but you did get the word "spelling" right.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Fixed it for you Touche`

Old 02-27-2013, 10:54 PM
DSM <3 Wafulz

Old 02-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Gasoline is delivered to distribution centers through pipelines. My area has one pipeline which originates in Texas and delivers all the gas consumed by a huge metropolitan area. After the fuel arrives it's allocated to the tank farms of the various refineries where it's blended with the proprietary additives. In this area all automotive fuel starts out the same.

Costco fuel is top tier and I've used it for years. It remains the least expensive and I intend to continue using their gas without hesitation.

Last edited by mrnoyb; 03-12-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:55 PM
I really cant tell the difference between gas brands, i buy whatever name brand gas around at the time. I wont go to the poorly maintained looking stations or Thrifty gas stations though.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
My dad stopped using Costco gas. He now uses branded gas with better additives and now no more problems. The minimum additive requirements is not enough.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
well, your dad's endorsement is certainly worth a lot! Has his psoriasis cleared up?

As others have said, Costco gets fuel from the same refineries pipelines and storage farms as all the other brands. The minimum additive requirements are quite enough. There are no specifications or quantifiable difference between brands. "Top Tier" is a marketing strategy started by QuikTrip and since transferred to GM with no transparency or independent testing. Their website is amateurish and sleazy. If there was a benefit to "3 times the EPA minimum" it would be interesting to see this verified and proven by an independent lab.

I'm amused by people waiting in lines idling their huge SUVs at Costco to save $0.10/gal though. I typically buy at Shell because their stations appear better maintained and are convenient to my location. I used to buy at BP but their management of the gulf spill left me cold. I'll fill up at Costco if there are no lines, and I'm already there getting a tub of mayonnaise.

edit: wow, costco's gas has 5 times the additives required by the epa111!!!! Much higher than "Top Tier." Whose gas you gonna buy now SB? Such a quandary. Whose marketing hype ya gonna believe today SB?

Last edited by Steve244; 03-03-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Found a new pair for you, steve:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is Costco gas the same quality as Shell/Chevron?