General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

License Plates on the Front Bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 05:55 PM
License Plates on the Front Bumpers

Here in North Carolina, our state does not require front bumper license plates. For those of you in states which do, is it a revenue generating policy for the extra plates or is there some kind of "security" reason that it's mandated?

On a cosmetic note, I prefer the clean front bumpers of cars without state license plates. I hate it when the dealers take the initiative here to drill for plates when they aren't called for. Of course if you want a personalized and decorative plate on the front end, that is one thing; but I don't like to see bulky plate holders with dealer ads messing up the front of cars.

Old 06-17-2006, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
I think it's partially related to the fact that it will allow Big Brother to take a picture of your front license plate when you run a red light.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
We have Gov't. run auto ins. in Manitoba. Years ago they did away with the front plate. Of course a few years later they reverted to the front plate again, just as the car makers were getting used to not having holders on the front bumper.

I think it prob. was for law enforcement to easily check oncoming cars
that may be stolen.

They also changed the $250-300 immobilizers plan recently and are now giving them away for free with installation. It saves on my Autopac and damages to stolen cars. Esp. with kids under 10 stealing cars, wrecking them and not being charged.

I save $40 because the Fit has it built in.

Old 06-17-2006, 11:00 PM
Here in Colorado it's so that they can give you ticket by camera. They don't make it law that you have to have it on the front, but on the Vette my dad had he was hassled enough about not having it on that he actually put it on. Ugly as Sin but better than spending 30 min once a month talking to the cop about how ugly it is.

Old 06-17-2006, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
at least on the fit u dont rill the bumper. it mounts from underneath.

my wife went and bought a VBP today while i was at work. when she showed up i immediately removed the front tag and ripped off the horrid pinstriping only to find that the idiot that put it on notched the aint where he cut off the striping.

morons.

Old 06-18-2006, 10:32 AM
PA only requires one plate, so i removed teh front plate holder, which was actually scratching the front bumper anyways very lightly, but it was enough for my picky self to notice it.

Old 06-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Yeah I would guess it's for law enforcement purposes.

Old 06-18-2006, 08:40 PM
I have no idea why it's required in Missouri, but we're also a hard state for car registration. A safety test and an emissions test are required on any non-new vehicles. (I believe 4 years old is the time you have to start having tests done.) That's actually why I'm in the market for a new vehicle - my car won't pass the safety test (horn and hazzard lights are out, and there is a small hole in my muffler) and it's just not worth even having those things fixed as the car is on it's last leg anyway.

Old 06-18-2006, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
Yes. They remove easily from below with two bolts, and do scratch.

The police like them for camera enforcement, you get the photo of the driver and the registration number.

Tennessee is a rear plate only state, but all my cars get Netherlands tags on the front and an NL oval on the back. I need to see if someone will send me one of the new EU tags for the fit, and find a good European plate holder Vs. hole drilling.