General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

car apathy

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:11 AM
car apathy

Has anyone else experienced it yet? I'm not sure if it's all the money I dump into the cars, or maybe it's just doing the same stuff over and over again, but I feel uninspired to do much to the fit lately. It just feels like my camaro/tiburon/350z all over again. I've got a 90% completed turbo setup but I keep making excuses not to work on it further. I also have a few other ideas in the works for her, and a project teg that I've been neglecting. Besides just working on the cars, I find myself going to less and less car meets and gatherings. I haven't been to a car show in almost a year.

Am I growing out of cars? Maybe. Hopefully not.

Last edited by 5speedwonder; 02-25-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
As long as there are things I can do that actually improves the driving experience I don't get apathetic... Cosmetic stuff gets old to me because it often affects functions like handling, braking, acceleration, fuel mileage and ability to be driven at normal speeds on less than perfect roads negatively... There are a few people on fitfreak have beautiful cars with numerous subtle and tastefully dramatic changes in appearance that I find very appealing without any compromises that make their cars less than it was in stock form.. They continue to express their creativity and love of their cars by coming up with their own ideas and making changes between days of fastidious detailing and never seem to tire of doing it... I can't get tired of this car and will be throwing one hundred dollar bills at it and tuning a wrench on it until I can't do it any longer... If I do ever reach a plateau where I feel like I have done all I can or want to do to improve it mechanically I might slick it up a little and be content to just drive it.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:15 PM
My initial impulse is just about over and now I'm concentrating to understand how the thing 'works'. I've done the creature comfort things and kept the mechanics stock. The MPG's have been great and I can load it up with more than I really need to carry, two reasons I bought it.

My automotive curiosity and the freaks on this forum have kept my interests high regarding my understanding of my 2010 FIT. I'm not thinking I'll get that under control as long as I own the thing. Cabin fever does take a toll and I do need to get away from it every once in a while, but I do come back with a curious mind.

Right now I'm going to work off a bit of car apathy and venture out in one of those end of February heavy wet snow falls and see how the FIT does in 6" of the stuff.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Sometimes its good to take a break. For many people that's a couple weeks or a couple months. Some let them sit for a couple years. But when you do get back into it, everything is exciting again. Unless you really have moved on.

I stopped going to meets a long time ago. The Fit looks like it's bringing me back again.

Never stopped modding though.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
I have experienced that. I called it getting old. Bottom line is I found better things to spend money on. My new money dump is my house, along with traveling and seeing the country and the world. Heck it's amazing how many people I meet here and there that have never even left the state they are in. Big world out there folks, you only live once. if you have the chance, take it. Because eventually you get tied down and its all over but the excuses on why not to go. Your life experiences can be stuck in the garage, or it could be you seeing the world. To give you an example. By the end of this year, my NSX would have driven from CA to NY and many points in between to have seen good chunks of the country while in my 10+ years of possession.

But hey that's just me. I do know wrench heads that could care less about the world and go huge on car mods.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:48 PM
I think I'm somewhere between dsm and fitrunners statements.
I MAY just need a break from it all and go on a vacation or something away from my cars.
But...there's also that part of me that wants to sell the fit, buy something I can drive around that is fast and looks good without having to work and work and work at it, and put my money into travelling, art, and some property somewhere to build a house.

After this semester I think I'm heading to vegas for a week and then I'm going to see how I feel about the fit and teggy when I get back. Thanks guys, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has faced this problem lol.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Follow your heart - Fit's only a car and sounds like you've put your share of self into it.

What ever you do, don't bog yourself down. I mean many folks end up on a road to what is what they should do and end up getting saddled with more than what they really wanted to do.

Avoid the ruts.
If it gets deep, pick yourself up and look around.
Chances are the answer isn't in the rut.
Don't look for conclusions - discover solutions.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:07 PM
My first car was a 1993 Ford Taurus GL...my grandmother gave it to me when I first got my permit and started driving (she just purchased a new Impala). It was basically just a transportation device for me, it's not like it was a SHO or anything. Hell, I was 16, going on 17 at the time, so just having a car then was the "status" thing, regardless of what kind it was. It had 136,000 miles on it when my grandmother gave it to me. It was awful on gas and drove like a boat, but it had great heat and A/C, the front bench seat was as comfortable as a sofa, and it gave me a means to chauffeur my dates around, so all was good. Needless to say, I could care less about how it ran or modding or anything like that. If it didn't drive right or made weird noises (which was often), I'd just get it fixed.

I started to become interested in the "workings" of cars when I got my Altima in 2006. The Taurus had given up the ghost by 158,000 miles, and I purchased my 2005 Altima 2.5 S when it was a year old with 22k on the odometer. This was the first car that I had purchased on my own...I was 20, working as a x-ray technologist, and finishing up my B.S. degree, so I was VERY proud of it. I made an effort to really learn how the car worked...I never modded because I was always afraid I'd f something up (a fear that I still carry to this day). Yet I did learn to perform the routine maintenance things on the car...oil changes, brakes, the simpler wear and tear stuff. I would drive just for the sake of driving so I could test the power and handling limits of the car...which are actually quite good for a large four-door sedan with a 4cyl. Then problem after problem started to happen, the car began to cost me more and more money to repair, and before long I couldn't stand looking at it, let alone driving it. Traded it in after 6 years and 138,000 miles.

That brings me to my 2010 FIT that I bought a month ago, my first "showroom new" car purchase. I've had that sense of pride reinstilled in me. I love finding its limits...it is such a FUN car to drive! My time spent so far on FitFreaks has also kept my interest through the roof. I still have a fear of modding...I've never modded before and I don't want to mess up my baby lol. Right now my FIT is still 100% factory stock, but I do plan on doing some DIY stuff while I am on Spring Break from Drexel and the wife is at work. I was thinking of starting with the cupholder and tailgate LEDs, maybe the JDM wiper mod, and work from there. I am really trying to understand how the FIT really works and drives before I decide to do anything mechanical, like intakes, wheels, lowering, etc. But as I said, the FitFreak nation keeps my interest high, and there are so many examples of awesome looking modded FITs on here that I don't think I'll be able to resist the temptation!

Old 03-05-2011, 11:43 AM
alright guys, I'm doing the ultimate test. I'm going to finish the turbo kit on the fit and see if it re-ignites my passion for cars! Check my thread under the FI forum for updates, work starts Monday. If this doesn't work I guess I'll go buy...*deep breath*...a prius...or...something. lol.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 5speedwonder
alright guys, I'm doing the ultimate test. I'm going to finish the turbo kit on the fit and see if it re-ignites my passion for cars! Check my thread under the FI forum for updates, work starts Monday. If this doesn't work I guess I'll go buy...*deep breath*...a prius...or...something. lol.
That sounds like a good idea to me since that is the kind of thing I do every spring... The way I look at it there is always going to be something to do to a car that the after market is catering to by developing and releasing parts that allow one to almost constantly be making the car more enjoyable.