General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit Performance in Rocky Mountain Region

Old 03-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Fit Performance in Rocky Mountain Region

Hi all. First post.

I'm looking to replace my 1998 Impreza Outback Sport this spring, and I've been looking at the 2011 stick-shift Fit Sport. I've done a fairly decent amount of research online (this site included) and the FWD performance appears to be pretty decent, or at least tolerable in foul conditions.

My concern is this. Most of the time I, like most others, spend my time commuting - which for me, involves the Colorado Front Range and around town. My commute is very short (I actually bicycle in summer) and in-town. But occasionally, my wife and I will head off into the mountains either in summer or winter for road trips/expeditions etc. I'm mostly concerned that the engine output will be sufficient in order for me to feel that I'm getting left behind/holding up traffic and therefore fear possibly making a poor purchasing decision.

Don't get me wrong - I've got pretty realistic expectations from a smaller engine that is de-rated for altitude. My Impreza (2.2L) went up I-70 yesterday with a bit of effort and downshifting, particularly around Lookout Mountain and Silver Plume/Georgetown - those areas had me pinned down around 60-65mph in 4th (MT), but then again, this car is at 199,xxx miles and it's best performance is mostly behind it. Common sense and anticipation can have a lot to do with building/maintaining momentum too, particularly when there aren't enough ponies to simply stomp it.

I don't necessarily want to buy a car that will accommodate the 5% times that I may need to fill it with crap at Home Depot (though it seems it could do that too, within reason), rather I'd rather buy for the 95% condition and save having to lug around too much car for most of the time I'll be driving it.

Another important thing is that I'll have family visiting from overseas this summer, and there's likely to be a lot of driving this summer - Rocky Mountain National Park, Summit County etc - possibly a trip to the Grand Canyon too. If the climbing performance of a new Fit could roughly equate to my current car, then I won't feel any worse off. If I'm being chased up Trail Ridge Road by a 50ft motorhome, then that could trigger buyers remorse. As I said, I'm not looking to be a left-lane slayer - but I think that if I'm down to around 50mph with 4 up and luggage, then I might be in trouble.

We were up skiing in Loveland yesterday. On the way back, I scanned the parking lot looking at the spread of cars that made it up there. Having said that, the roads were clear with the exception of the frontage road, so I couldn't count that as a separator. Lots of FWD cars, which was encouraging, though I didn't see a single Fit. Maybe Loveland's not where the cool people go these days.

I'm planning a test drive soon, and was thinking about taking some crates of books/warm bodies to add some weight and see how it does. If I lived in the flatlands, this would likely not be an issue. But I've lived here long enough to have cars that did die a death on the long climbs, and it's just not good.

Sorry for the Colorado-specific post. I'd appreciate anyone's experiences with their Fits in high-altitude hill country. As I said, I'm not expecting hill-climb performance at all, but the satisfaction of getting up to Eisenhower Tunnel, loaded up, without having to go looking for third gear would mean a lot.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:45 PM
ohw
5 Year Member
I used to live in Denver and had a different car at the time. We are still in the Rockies, now at 3500 ft instead of 5280 ft. We have an older Outback wagon w/ 2.5L engine and a 2010 Fit, both 5-sp. Knowing the terrain of the area and the ability of the cars, I can share with you some of my thoughts.
Climbing hills – The Fit has very little power/torque and light weight. High elevation taxes the engine even more. With 1 or 2 people, you won’t win any races while climbing Lookout or I-70 East towards the tunnel from Silverthorne, but you should be able to keep up with traffic. With more people and weight, you will struggle a little more. However, it would be similar to the Subie.
Why don’t you bring 2 of your big friends and take the salesman (4 people) for a test drive? If I remember correctly, there is a stretch of uphill climb on 470 north from Morrison towards I-70.
Long trips – Luggage space can be limited with 4 people on long trips. I would just rent a car for the week to Grand Canyon. Day trips should be no problem.
Winter – the Subie AWD is the best. If you have winter tires, nothing can touch it when the road condition turns ugly. With that said, the Fit is not bad. With winter tires, you are mostly fine except really deep snow, just the limitation of FWD vs AWD. Skiing at A-Basin or Loveland, driving thru Loveland pass should be no problem, no issues driving around town. Cannot comment if you use AS tires.

Last edited by ohw; 03-07-2011 at 10:38 PM. Reason: how did the fonts got so big? Fixed.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
High Altitude Fit

Hey incinerator,

We live at 7500 ft, here in NM. Our Fit is now 3 yrs old....and thriving. I would say to you that the auto tranny Fit would not work for you, but the 5-speed stickshift will. It makes a big difference.

We haul 3 kayaks and 3 people and a lot of equip down to the Rio Grande most weekends in Spring and Summer. People are amazed at how much stuff we pull out of the Fit when we arrive.

I agree it is not 4WD, but putting on snow tires for winter in your driving enviro would be a smart move.

After 3 yrs of driving, we are still averaging an awesome 41 mpg, and that is on 86 Octane regular gas.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
the fit will be VERY SLOW going up the mountain side in higher elevation. i think you'll be much happier with a 2011 WRX hatch.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:09 PM
If I recall I can climb to the Johnson tunnel at 60 mph in 4th with one person in the car. More weight might require dropping a gear to maintain that speed.
I drive my Fit all over the Colorado mountains. Usually with 2 or 3 guys and some mountain bikes aboard and it does fine. Just don't be afraid to rev that little engine.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:06 PM
I dropped the loot...

OK folks, thanks for all your responses.

After careful deliberation and a few test drives over the last weekend, I stuck the dough down on a new 2011 Fit Sport off the lot at a local dealership. After getting up on Friday morning and reading the news about Japan and the very likely impending import shortages (if that's not the case already), I realized I had to make a quick decision which was hastened in no part by the condition of my trade-in. Picked it up on Monday and have been obsessing over the real-time MPG status on the display ever since.

Gotta say, so far very happy. Nice solid-built car and an intergalactic leap forward in ride quality from my previous set of wheels. Sure, it's not a WRX or some other red line racer, but I think it will do the job. Now it's down to the car to prove it.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Hello! Congrats on your purchase! Did you get the manual? Because I agree with nmfit2008 wholeheartedly. The auto tranny has no get up and go on hills. I have to actually floor it to go up hills sometimes. But on a normal road, if I put any more pressure on the gas than needed, than WOOOOOOOOO!!

Enjoy your fit! It is so much fun to drive!!

Old 03-28-2011, 09:50 PM
I did get the manual transmission. I'm more comfortable driving stick and for some reason (justified or otherwise), I'll feel better about having the stick shift when the weather turns south.

Very happy with it so far. I did an airport run at the weekend and it was telling me I was averaging 39mpg on the way back. Can't complain, particularly when it's only a 8-10 gallon pit stop, rather than the 14 gallons of my last car.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
Hi
I just saw this thread. I am in northern Colorado, too. Have had my 2010 Fit since end of May. I have an Auto Sport and the car does very well on the hills using the paddle shifters. I haven't loaded it up with stuff except for a passenger and traveled in the mountains though. Using the paddle shifters, the Fit does better on the passes than my old std trans Toyota Corolla, and my automatic Subaru Wagon which has a 2.2 l engine.

took the Fit cross country this summer-it did great in the hills in West Virginia, too (then it was loaded up with luggage and cooler and bicycle, too)

Last edited by sooznd; 03-28-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:38 PM
How to use the paddle shifters?

Can someone give me tips on how to use the paddle shifters on my 2009 automatic Fit transmission in the mountains? Thank you!

Old 06-20-2020, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zaleelove
Can someone give me tips on how to use the paddle shifters on my 2009 automatic Fit transmission in the mountains? Thank you!
If necessary downshift going up grades to give the car a better mechanical advantage.

Realistically the transmission will work it out itself and you needn’t bother.

Old 06-21-2020, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by zaleelove
Same as driving a manual trans. You just downshift when you want more speed or power. Also take the econ mode off when going up mountain passes. That helps also.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
When I still had my Fit, I drove to New Mexico for camping. It was near Red River,NM @ over 8000ft. At that altitude my 2013 Sport automatic felt like it had 20hp under the hood. It was me, my wife and some camping gear. There were some spots where it was pretty steep uphill and I could not maintain 60mph, even with my foot all the way to the floor and rpm at 6K....and I'm not joking.