General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Indiana wins bid for new Honda Manufacturing Plant

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member
Indiana wins bid for new Honda Manufacturing Plant

I heard it first on NPR today, then found this online:

http://corporate.honda.com/press/art...=2006062835631

Get your FITs before next year if you want them from Japan!

Old 06-29-2006, 08:11 AM
5 Year Member
Here's the Honda World News item on the Indiana plant and another interesting article about Honda Motors leading sales figures and why:

6/28 Honda World News:

New Indiana plant – 4 cylinder vehicles, environmental impact controls

http://world.honda.com/news/2006/c06...tomobilePlant/

6/27/06 Google Alert:

Detailed ****ysis relating fuel economy, median income and vehicle sales:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...024/LATESTNEWS

Old 06-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
Yyeeeehhaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Old 06-29-2006, 02:58 PM
I'm still glad my fit is from Japan

Old 06-29-2006, 03:35 PM
I think that the made in Japan models of Japanese cars are better made then the made in Mexico/USA/Brazil models. Why? Quality control mainly. Japanese are extremely aware of quality. There work ethic is unbelieveable. They dedicate themselves to the job. Now, I was brought up near a Chevy Plant in Cleveland. When I was maybe in 5th grade or so me and my friends used to go to a beverage store to buy Coke (the drink) after baseball. The workers from the Chevy plant used to visit the beverage store at lunch and get quarts of beer or bottles of wine, drink them down and then head back for the rest of there shift! This is NO LIE!

Old 06-29-2006, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hiroko12
I think that the made in Japan models of Japanese cars are better made then the made in Mexico/USA/Brazil models. Why? Quality control mainly. Japanese are extremely aware of quality. There work ethic is unbelieveable. They dedicate themselves to the job. Now, I was brought up near a Chevy Plant in Cleveland. When I was maybe in 5th grade or so me and my friends used to go to a beverage store to buy Coke (the drink) after baseball. The workers from the Chevy plant used to visit the beverage store at lunch and get quarts of beer or bottles of wine, drink them down and then head back for the rest of there shift! This is NO LIE!
Right, that's the UNION workers.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
Yea, but that was a Chevy plant, not a Honda plant.

This debate went on here about a month ago. Is a Japanese built Honda better than an American built Honda? Well, since we've personally owned both, I'd have to say no. Our Japanese built Accord and U.S. built Accord exhibited equal build quality, fit and finish, overall feel, and the same crummy dash rattle on the driver's side near the windshield in the winter. It's in EXACTLY the same spot. The Japanese-built one was a '99, and the American-built one is an '02.

Someone claimed a month ago that someone they knew works at one of the Honda plants, and that the cars built here for export back to Japan are better built than the ones sold here.

To quote Larry the Cable guy, that makes as much sense as wiping you butt, and then taking a poop!

To apply that logic, then all the Hondas built in Japan for sale here in the United States would exhibit the same lesser build quality. Afer all, they're being built solely for sale in the U.S. Why put out the effort?

Fact is that Honda has spent the better part of two generations building it's superb reputation, and delivering a superior product.

They aren't going to let it all slip away like GM, Ford and formerly Chrysler did.

And CONGRATS TO INDY!

Old 06-29-2006, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hiroko12
And how long ago was this? I would guess most of those workers are retired by now, so what's the point?

Old 06-29-2006, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
This is a good move for Indiana. Since I live here of course!

Old 06-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Same here. Coincidentally, I just got my Fit a few hours ago. (red)

Old 06-29-2006, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by indytone

cool, what dealer? I had to go to Columbus to get mine, orange sport.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:04 AM
Yes, very good! I work at the Subaru plant in Lafayette. Soon to be rolling out Camrys too come spring.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:18 AM
5 Year Member
Japan also exports its standards to the plant

I kept an American built Honda for 11 years -- an Accord wagon, built in Marysville, OH. I had my Japanese built Civic wagon for 10 years. Both were superb cars. I read an article about the Marysville plant. It's run to Honda's standards, including ergonomic concepts and exercise breaks to prevent injuries on the job and boost productivity. The Americans who work in the plant were obviously proud of the work they do. Whether union or not, the workers have respect for good management and when they are appreciated they have pride in the product they produce.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member
6/29/06 Google Alert:

“Treehugger” article on Indiana plant:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006...da_indiana.php

Old 07-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Penske Honda on 96th. My brother-in-law has worked there as a mechanic for 10+ years, so I got a killer deal.

I got it just in time for it to sit in my garage for two weeks while I'm on my honeymoon. :|

Old 07-01-2006, 04:29 PM

Cool - I picked up my red Fit at Penske on June 27!

Old 07-02-2006, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
Penske Honda on 96th. My brother-in-law has worked there as a mechanic for 10+ years, so I got a killer deal.

I got it just in time for it to sit in my garage for two weeks while I'm on my honeymoon. :|
After your honeymoon with your honey, then you'll have a honeymoon with your new Fit. May both relationships bring you long-term happiness!