General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

GE8 rims on a 2007 Honda Fit Sport....A question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
GE8 rims on a 2007 Honda Fit Sport....A question

Hi to ALL FF members.Guys...I have a question that i hope to find the right answer.Did the Honda Fit Sport 2010 rims with the TPMS on them will affect in some way giving a wrong code or something to a 2007 Honda Fit Sport car computer system?All help is welcome....

Here a picture that i found in the web.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm not too knowledgeable on my prior generation Fits, but if your 07 Fit doesn't have a TPMS sensor, then it will not affect anything.

However it if does, we'll need another person to chime in here. I know from personal experience that the 2008-2009 TMPS in a BMW is different than the 2010+ and will not work with the car (i.e.: 2008 vehicle will not accept signals from the 2010+ TPMS sensor).

If Honda is the same, then you may have an issue.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
The unit in the wheel is the sending unit. If you still have it, take it out and sell it, because there's no TPMS in the '07. Now for my opportunity to ask a dumb mostly unrelated question; I bought a used set of 2011 factory Sport wheels. The sensors had been removed, but I didn't care because I was mounting snow tires and could live without them for the season. When I had them balanced without the sensors, all the weight, (almost 1 ounce each tire) had to go on the side of the rim where the sensor would be. Does this mean that the newer factory rims are somehow balanced during fabrication, to compensate for the weight of the sensor? Sounds far fetched, but all 4 of the tires were balanced with the weight at the valve stem side.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Yes, all wheels need to be balanced once tires are put on. There are so many variables from rim creation to tire compounds that can affect balancing. The TPMS sending unit on the wheels also have some weight to them. Without them (and using regular valve stems) will affect the balancing.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rampo
Does this mean that the newer factory rims are somehow balanced during fabrication, to compensate for the weight of the sensor? Sounds far fetched, but all 4 of the tires were balanced with the weight at the valve stem side.
Simple answer: YES.

On our '09 and '10 base Fits, the steel wheels have larger vent holes near the valve stem, and smaller ones opposite. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the Sport rims have a little more metal somewhere opposite the valve stem as well.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by 4thCornerFit
Simple answer: YES.

On our '09 and '10 base Fits, the steel wheels have larger vent holes near the valve stem, and smaller ones opposite. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the Sport rims have a little more metal somewhere opposite the valve stem as well.
Yeah I thought this was a trip when I got tires and there were no weights on the wheels, then I figured it out

The tire guy actually used the markings on the tires to balance them without the weights, first time i'd ever seen a tire tech do it the right way, next time i'm asking for the same tech.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:10 AM
iam looking for to buy this set of rims , where do you find this pic

Old 03-24-2013, 08:11 AM
5 Year Member
you are correct

Originally Posted by Rampo
The unit in the wheel is the sending unit. If you still have it, take it out and sell it, because there's no TPMS in the '07. Now for my opportunity to ask a dumb mostly unrelated question; I bought a used set of 2011 factory Sport wheels. The sensors had been removed, but I didn't care because I was mounting snow tires and could live without them for the season. When I had them balanced without the sensors, all the weight, (almost 1 ounce each tire) had to go on the side of the rim where the sensor would be. Does this mean that the newer factory rims are somehow balanced during fabrication, to compensate for the weight of the sensor? Sounds far fetched, but all 4 of the tires were balanced with the weight at the valve stem side.
In general, you are on target Rampo. The TPMS sending unit is mounted on the factory rim with adhesive, and of course they have a certain weight associated with the type of TPMS - metal or rubber stem. Knowing that the rim will have a TPMS, wheel manufacturers can make or balance-adjust the rims prior to shipping them to the car manufacturer. The goal is to minimize the amount of wheel weights needed to balance the wheel-tire assembly. Quality wheel manufacturers would ship wheels with TPMS balanced to take the weight of the TPMS transmitter into account.

There is a wealth of tire and wheel technology knowledge and info available on the websites of some tire suppliers. Look up the websites for Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct and check out their technical information sections.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KwazyKwaig
In general, you are on target Rampo. The TPMS sending unit is mounted on the factory rim with adhesive, and of course they have a certain weight associated with the type of TPMS - metal or rubber stem. Knowing that the rim will have a TPMS, wheel manufacturers can make or balance-adjust the rims prior to shipping them to the car manufacturer. The goal is to minimize the amount of wheel weights needed to balance the wheel-tire assembly. Quality wheel manufacturers would ship wheels with TPMS balanced to take the weight of the TPMS transmitter into account.

There is a wealth of tire and wheel technology knowledge and info available on the websites of some tire suppliers. Look up the websites for Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct and check out their technical information sections.
Dead thread AND incorrect in regards to the TPMS sensor/"sending unit" (receiver" I'm guessing you meant?) mounting. Though, you are correct on wheel manufactures adding a ballast or counterweight to compensate for TPMS sensors in wheels.

The TPMS sensor is secured in a similar fashion to that of a traditional valve stem; except, the sensor's stem has a grommet around it that seals the valve stem hole for the wheel and that there is a nut that you are supposed to tighten on the outside of the valve stem hole (curb side of the wheel in our case) to keep the sensor in place when tightened properly (and seals the valve stem hole "squishing" the rubber grommet between the wheel and sensor).

The actual TPMS receiver unit is mounted under the dash, behind the gauge cluster in the case of the 2008 GD. No adhesive material is used to secure it, it simply clips in place on its designated bracket.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry but I disagree

Hootie, I'm quoting your recent reply to my post.

>Dead thread AND incorrect in regards to the TPMS sensor/"sending unit" (receiver" I'm guessing you meant?) mounting.

I disagree it's a dead thread. Rampo recently sent me a PM thanking me for the answer to his question which he said was helpful.

Some folks call the TPMS device inside the wheel the sensor, some call it the transmitter, some call it the sending unit. Whatever you like to call it, it transmits a signal to the car's computer to let it know whether or not the tire pressure is within limits set by car manufacturer. Don't want to get into too much detail, but some systems are based on absolute pressure, some on pressure relative to the other tires. The former is a more useful system, but more costly to make. If the received signal is out of limits, the idiot light will illuminate on the dash.

I was NOT referring to the receiver mounting, I was talking about the unit within the wheel. Whether the TPMS unit is mounted to the wheel with adhesive, or with a nut tightened on the valve stem is not really important. Different car manufacturers use different mounting systems. The main question originally posted by Rampo was whether wheel manufacturers were taking TPMS weight into account when wheels are built. The answer is yes and that's a good thing.

At least we agree that wheel manufacturers are accounting for the weight of the TPMS sensor so the total amount of balance weights is minimized for the entire tire and wheel assembly. Lower unsprung weight is always a good thing

Last edited by KwazyKwaig; 06-26-2013 at 12:36 AM. Reason: clarification about how TPMS is mounted