General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

anyone running a dash cam?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
GoPro!!!!!! I want one sooo bad! My buddy has one and the quality is outstanding. You can mount it anywhere. And I mean anywhere, outside the car, under the car..... The thing can take a gosh of a beating.

GoPro Official Website: The World's Most Versatile Camera

Old 11-26-2013, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ky1eRC
It's a 24hour 7days a week security camera. In fact two of them.

Video clarity was important to me - getting that plate number to be actually legible is key to a hit and run. And KEY to a parking lot incident where someone backs into my car and drives off.

A shitty camera would be nearly useless.
Neat-o! Where does it record to? An onboard SD card? Is there like a 24 hour loop? How does it record nonstop without constantly running out of space?

Sounds like a wise investment if its always on. Unfortunately here in Montreal we get snow in the winter so this system would be useless for 4 months a year because the windshields are covered in snow.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:34 PM
I'm interested in a dash cam but not something I'd leave on my dash. Crackheads would smash and grab for sure lol

Thanks for the update Macbuddy I was interested in your cheapy cam and now am not. I guess I'd need one with good night vision...

Old 11-26-2013, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by MTLian
Neat-o! Where does it record to? An onboard SD card? Is there like a 24 hour loop? How does it record nonstop without constantly running out of space?

Sounds like a wise investment if its always on. Unfortunately here in Montreal we get snow in the winter so this system would be useless for 4 months a year because the windshields are covered in snow.
32gb microSD. it writes over the oldest file. Somewhere around 10 hours of constant recording for both front/rear cameras before it loops. So if something happens you just grab the card. Has GPS in it as well. Wifi too. and a G-force meter.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
I'm interested in a dash cam but not something I'd leave on my dash. Crackheads would smash and grab for sure lol
HAHA. This made my day.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member
Might be a repost, but speaking of dash cams...

This happened just down the road from me. Lucky guy...

Old 11-27-2013, 04:34 AM
5 Year Member
Software?

32gb microSD. it writes over the oldest file. Somewhere around 10 hours of constant recording for both front/rear cameras before it loops. So if something happens you just grab the card. Has GPS in it as well. Wifi too. and a G-force meter.
Ky1eRC, does this also ship with software like the Lukas LK-7900 to compliment the recorded data?

Old 11-27-2013, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
Pretty cool except in the case of vandalism you have to get there in that 10 hour window or you lose your proof! Very nice set-up.

I think I'm gonna go with one of those cheap jobs from China that are about 50$. Don't care so much about quality. Just want something bare bones to win my case and use as proof against police if I get stopped. The only thing that worries me is that I want to try and hook it up to my cigar lighter which is already taken up. I have to hope that the cable is long enough to pass it through the lining of my roof and under the dash somehow.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:11 AM
thats the interesting one to look up, i am simply applaused to see it here

Old 12-14-2013, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
4Sight The Original Dash Cam Replacement...

Okay, so I emailed 4Sight and told them that my dash cam died. The service rep was extremely helpful. He merely asked a few questions, then gave me an RMA number to use when I return mine for replacement. Today, one week later, I receive a brand new unit.
Upon receipt, I notice that this one is different from the one I sent back. This one is "HD!" They replaced mine with a newer version!
This HD unit is tons better! The first thing I noticed was that the field of view is much wider, i.e., more peripheral vision. Daytime video is extremely sharp. The Audio is so much better, I can even hear the sound of my turn signals! Night vision is much improved, I can even read license plates now! The operating system is also improved. The first dash cam lost video footage when changing from one file to the next. This newer model does not lose any frames at all! I was concerned with the first unit because there was a 15 second "gap" between files. WTF!...that's 15 seconds of lost video! An entire accident could have transpired within that amount of time!
Hey Wanderer, if you want a reasonably priced unit that seems to do the job, consider this one. Just make sure that the box states "HD" on the label. Here's a picture that shows what I am referring to:

Old 12-22-2013, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
Wow- I didn't realize there was a thread on this. I started another one here with a video

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/show...84#post1215884

hope this is of some help.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:43 AM
5 Year Member
A better Dash Cam for under $100

Ok, I stopped at a truck stop tonight to gas up. I couldn't help but notice that they had a dash cam sale, one that I had been reading up on. Well, the price was too good to pass up. I bought another one!
This one is the Cobra CDR-810. Before I left the station, I had it hooked up and ready to go. I had the 4Sight and Cobra running side by side at the same time. I must say, in comparison, the Cobra does have a significant edge on it's ability to record night videos. I think that I am going to make the Cobra the forward pointing camera, and mount the 4Sight as a rearward pointing camera. I should be covered now!

Old 01-25-2014, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
Samsung ATIV S

I've used my cellphone video for almost a year now. I use a Scosche suction mount I got for under $30 at Wal-Mart.

Not sure of the degree width but the video is very sharp. You can read lic. plates when you do a screen capture.

Note; I use an added 32GB. Micro card for the videos.

Last edited by willmax11; 01-25-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by willmax11
I've used my cellphone video for almost a year now. I use a Scosche suction mount I got for under $30 at Wal-Mart.

Not sure of the degree width but the video is very sharp. You can read lic. plates when you do a screen capture.

Note; I use an added 32GB. Micro card for the videos.
Wish I had a dash mount and rear window mount this week, I-75 car driver thinking he was doing a video game, lane changing and an 18 wheeler using his motor to slow down to our back bumper at 70 mph. goosed the Fit to give him room as he whipped left to pass.
Would they survive impact in that mount? at least the cops will have a record of who's fault it was.