3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Dash Cam and GPS

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
Dash Cam and GPS

Well, my daughter's boy friend gave me a really cheap Dash Cam ($15 Dollar General) for Christmas (I hinted I wanted a cheap one, so no knock on him). It is VERY generic and I have seen it under many brand names from 15-40 dollars, only with varying features. HD or 720/VGA camera, w/o card, w/o card adaptor, but with the worst instruction ever.

It was difficult to remove the battery cover (battery WAS included). But upon installation and putting in the 32 gig SD card ($20), it worked, but the lack of clear instructions, set up of options through extensive menus was a matter of BG squared.

Mounted it just under the mirror, plugged it into the power port (AKA where the cigarette lighter used to go), pushed the starter button and it came on.

I drove around for a while, it record a little of going no where. So for a total of $35, I have a dash cam. NBD.

I've had a Garmin GPS for several years now. I have one of the world's worst sense of direction. I really hate wirers dangling from the dash or window. The GPS is in one of the cup holders. GPS John talks so I can take a quick glance before I have to turn. But the Dash Cam needs to use the same power source and I'll bite the bullet and try to route the cord under the dash, around the interior trim and down to the Dash Cam under the mirror.

Does anyone know where I can find a dual port adaptor? The Garman has a cylindrical plug, but the Dash Cam has a pistol grip plug.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:19 AM
Is this similar to what you are talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-2-Sock...dapter+for+car

If so, how is it different?

Old 12-29-2016, 07:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
Does anyone know where I can find a dual port adaptor? The Garman has a cylindrical plug, but the Dash Cam has a pistol grip plug.
I use this to power my dashcam and Garmin when I use it, mostly I use Waze but have the Garmin as a backup when I know I'm going to a place with spotty cell coverage.

12 Volt Dual Outlet Adapter

Old 12-29-2016, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I use this to power my dashcam and Garmin when I use it, mostly I use Waze but have the Garmin as a backup when I know I'm going to a place with spotty cell coverage.

12 Volt Dual Outlet Adapter
By George, I think you have it! And I know exactly where there is a near by Harbor Freight.

Thanks also to The Fitness, but that's a little more than I wanted. I already have enough USB ports, but it looks like a very elegant package.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:56 AM
If you look at the usual stores (Wal-Mart, auto pars supply places, etc.) you can find all different sorts of lighter plug multiple outlet doohickies. Take your pick and plonk down your hard-earned cash and you're good to go.

Another alternative is to find a convenient spot to install another socket and wire it up to the existing one. That is a good bit more work and involves taking apart the dash, etc.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DrewE
If you look at the usual stores (Wal-Mart, auto pars supply places, etc.) you can find all different sorts of lighter plug multiple outlet doohickies. Take your pick and plonk down your hard-earned cash and you're good to go.

Another alternative is to find a convenient spot to install another socket and wire it up to the existing one. That is a good bit more work and involves taking apart the dash, etc.
I surfed the web at many of those places and I either didn't use the right descriptions (probable) or they didn't have it in stock. I didn't want to drive around the Madison area of Nashville looking.

Your latter suggestion is something want to avoid. I'm like the B.C. comic character Clumsy Carp, but I cannot even talk to fish. All thumbs ... even my thumbs have thumbs.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
There is a second 12V DC port inside the center console, yes? Or is this already in use?

Old 12-29-2016, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
There is a second 12V DC port inside the center console, yes? Or is this already in use?
Well, duh on my part. Don't lift the lid on that often enough to even realize that it is there. I'll probably power the Dash Cam from there since it has the thinnest cord ... approximately 10 feet of.

Later ... looked it up on my digital copy of the owner's manual. Yup, there it is and there's a little notch on the passenger's side. Now to figure the path from the natch, along the console, under the dash. up the dash, past the A pillar, along the windshield trim to the mirror ... whew.

Last edited by KentFinn; 12-29-2016 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member