General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

5 speed stick or the 5 speed Auto; and why ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
The paddle shifters are unique feature I do not know of any other cars at the sub $20k level that has them, I could be wrong. It actually made me consider the automatic.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:28 PM
I don't see the point of paddle shifters on cars that don't have dual clutch gearboxes.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by krunk13
I don't see the point of paddle shifters on cars that don't have dual clutch gearboxes.
Well, it's better than + and - on the shifter, at least it lets you keep both hands on the wheel most of the time.

There are many situations where it's good to hold your gear on an auto. I wouldn't choose one for myself but if I had to (injury or something) I would definitely have to get a sport if only for the paddles.

I would prefer DCT as well, but I think it's asking a bit much from a sub 20k econo car.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:42 PM
I got a manual just because I love driving them. I feel like more of a participant & not just going along for the ride.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by Steve244
It's used as a commuter pod in stop and go Atlanta traffic. Automatic for sanity's sake.
That's my main reason, if you sit in rough stop n go LA traffic 1-2hrs each way to and from work it drives to make to deal with stick. I hated the buzzy manual models, the engine spins too high on highway speeds.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:21 PM
WE have an auto because it's officially my wife's car and she can't drive stick. If it were mine alone I would have a stick because the engine is more suited to a manual trans because it (IMHO) really needs more torque for an auto trans.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:10 PM
I have to admit I have been pleasantly surprised by how well the auto shifts, although we don't live in a very hilly area, but I'm more then happy with the AT.

I could go either way but my wife prefers an AT vs a manual. That and we're OLD

Old 12-24-2012, 02:12 AM
I have a '10 Sport with manual transmission. Automatic transmission is fun to drive at all in my opinion. Fit with automatic transmission is quite dull in my opinion while Fit with manual transmission is just a fun car to drive.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:24 AM
I have the 5SP Auto because that's what was on the lot at the time I purchased it. It was a Mitsubishi dealer and all I wanted was a WALMART gift card. Anyway, I am averaging on the highway around 40-43 mpg. On local streets, in the low to mid 30's. If I can master the paddle controls, I'd might do better.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
Got a manual. Mainly because it was several hundred dollars cheaper than an auto. Next time, I think I will get an auto though so that my wife can drive it as well. Easier to switch cars that way

Old 12-30-2012, 07:27 AM
Got mine manual. It was only the Fit on the Nissan dealership used cars lot. I had seen this Fit parked there for weeks as I would pass by this dealership everyday on my way to work. So when I went to go look at it and I had seen it was M/T, I was sold.
My last car was a 94 Integra M/T, with a 99 SI tranny in it. So this 2008 Fit was nothing but ease to learn. The problem I felt were the pedals felt small and too close together

Old 12-30-2012, 11:37 AM
I bought a sport with a manual gearbox because I test drove 2012,2013,2009 and a 2008 all sports with automagic trans and wasn't impressed with them. I have an IS250 with paddles and love it, but the fit just wasn't close. Found the last MT within a 150 mile radius and bought it. I can get onto the freeway without angering 18 wheelers, have averaged 41mpg, and it's a blast to drive. Just need to get used to how it stays revved after chopping throttle.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:53 PM
My preference for a car like this is manual transmission. My other rides are automatics (Cummins Ram 2500 and Ford Escape) so I wanted a change of pace. The manual is fun to drive and in my case, the Fit that I found for the money I wanted to spend was a MT Sport. All of the MPG numbers suggest the auto is better, but I still would rather have the MT.I have yet to drive out a full tank of fuel so I can't comment on my fuel economy at this time.

I love the gear ratios although 1st seems a bit low for flat ground starts. You are in 5th before you know it and it seems to pull really well in 5th for most of my driving (rural and in town). You can rev the manual to get the most out of the 1.5L when you need to. I am still getting used to it, but so far I am enjoying it. Need a reason to go somewhere!

Old 01-03-2013, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
M/T for CONTROL. When you drive mountain roads, modern electronically controlled automatics cant seem to find the right gear. Brakes last me forever by using engine braking downhill. With the right gear i dont use gas or brake hardly at all going down CA SR 330, over 5000' in about ten miles. Also, I easily beat the EPA mileage estimates using an M/T. Ive never done that with an automatic, usually less than EPA. Along with mileage is total cost, to buy and repair. A clutch job costs maybe a third to a fourth what A/T repairs cost.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by nikita
M/T for CONTROL. When you drive mountain roads, modern electronically controlled automatics cant seem to find the right gear. Brakes last me forever by using engine braking downhill. With the right gear i dont use gas or brake hardly at all going down CA SR 330, over 5000' in about ten miles. Also, I easily beat the EPA mileage estimates using an M/T. Ive never done that with an automatic, usually less than EPA. Along with mileage is total cost, to buy and repair. A clutch job costs maybe a third to a fourth what A/T repairs cost.

I tend to disagree with a couple things, firstly a AT cost less IMO then a manual maintenance wise, think about it. A avg guy who drives city or hwy traffic will probably change the clutch once every 60-80k (maybe more if youre aweful at driving stick) in my 150K plus miles on my AT 4runner i had to change nothing but drain and fill the ATF a couple times which is no different then doing one in a MT model with gear oil periodically. It only cost more if you break a AT gearbox vs Manual. If you maintain it properly a good AT will last over 200k easily without rebuilds. As far as control most AT these days will allow you to manually select a gear yourself via paddle or stick selector. And these days auto's have just as many gear ratio selections and spacing as manuals it basically makes it moot other then fun driving factor for enthusiasts,. Most auto equipped cars nowadays surpass manual models mpg as well (mainly because manual models tend to be geared shorter). I love stick shift cars but sitting in 70+ miles of LA stop n go traffic 5 days a week will drive me mad with a stick. If it were a performance car id stick with a manual for the fun factor but this is my daily commuter.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by Mini_Odyssey
I tend to disagree with a couple things, firstly a AT cost less IMO then a manual maintenance wise, think about it. A avg guy who drives city or hwy traffic will probably change the clutch once every 60-80k (maybe more if youre aweful at driving stick) in my 150K plus miles on my AT 4runner i had to change nothing but drain and fill the ATF a couple times which is no different then doing one in a MT model with gear oil periodically. It only cost more if you break a AT gearbox vs Manual. If you maintain it properly a good AT will last over 200k easily without rebuilds. As far as control most AT these days will allow you to manually select a gear yourself via paddle or stick selector. And these days auto's have just as many gear ratio selections and spacing as manuals it basically makes it moot other then fun driving factor for enthusiasts,. Most auto equipped cars nowadays surpass manual models mpg as well (mainly because manual models tend to be geared shorter). I love stick shift cars but sitting in 70+ miles of LA stop n go traffic 5 days a week will drive me mad with a stick. If it were a performance car id stick with a manual for the fun factor but this is my daily commuter.
lol 60-80K? Ive seen MT go to 100K+ if not more.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:05 PM
If you don't drive a stick the same way you drive an automatic in traffic it will last you much longer... it's the people slipping clutch all the time and rocking on hills that end up changing their clutch at 60k

2nd reason for MT because it's faster (in Fit form anyway) and that's important when you're dog slow already.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Because traditional automatic transmissions like you get in the Fit are the difference between having a good time, and tagging along for the ride in what is basically a soul-less, expensive kitchen appliance.

Don't care if you have a long commute.. I used to ride down to kankakee, drive around all day and back to chicago 5 days a week when I had an insurance gig.

Probably would have been suicidal in an automatic.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
If you don't drive a stick the same way you drive an automatic in traffic it will last you much longer... it's the people slipping clutch all the time and rocking on hills that end up changing their clutch at 60k

2nd reason for MT because it's faster (in Fit form anyway) and that's important when you're dog slow already.
Its only faster because of the 4.56 final drive, im sure a auto would give a good run for the money assuming same final drive, cause you cant outshift a auto.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:58 PM
To clarify i meant clutch life not transmission life. on a side note, i have noticed MT cars have shafts with shorter lifespans then auto, its probably because the constant changing of gears causes slack lash back and forth between shifts though.

Last edited by Mini_Odyssey; 01-03-2013 at 03:04 PM.

Quick Reply: 5 speed stick or the 5 speed Auto; and why ?