General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

5 speed stick or the 5 speed Auto; and why ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
A MT is more likely to "fail" but a clutch replacement isn't expensive ... relative to a less-likely but hugely expensive AT failure (which are usually replaced wholesale rather than by component!)

Old 01-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Mini_Odyssey
Its only faster because of the 4.56 final drive, im sure a auto would give a good run for the money assuming same final drive, cause you cant outshift a auto.
Yes, it is faster because of the shorter final, less driveline power loss through trans, ability to manipulate clutch and throttle, less weight.

To clarify i meant clutch life not transmission life. on a side note, i have noticed MT cars have shafts with shorter lifespans then auto, its probably because the constant changing of gears causes slack lash back and forth between shifts though.
I'm saying if you kill your clutch in 60k miles or are damaging shafts you have bad driving habits (slip clutch, no rev-match to downshift, jerky shifts, clutch dump).

Anyways, I don't trust Honda to build an auto trans, I never have and never will, they're just not very good at it. Honda makes some of the best manual gearboxes, why miss out on that?

Old 01-03-2013, 04:35 PM
There is really no defending the AT in a Fit unless you have a disability.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
In my book there is NO reason to go with the auto. The minimal increase in highway MPG is the only excuse but you're paying more for the car and the small difference could take years to make up.

The stick is a lot more fun, this car is a dog with the auto but fairly peppy with the stick.

Honda makes the best clutches and manual transmissions out there, in my opinion. I love the way they feel, so smooth and light.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
I tend to disagree with a couple things, firstly a AT cost less IMO then a manual maintenance wise, think about it. A avg guy who drives city or hwy traffic will probably change the clutch once every 60-80k (maybe more if youre aweful at driving stick) in my 150K plus miles on my AT 4runner i had to change nothing but drain and fill the ATF a couple times which is no different then doing one in a MT model with gear oil periodically. It only cost more if you break a AT gearbox vs Manual. If you maintain it properly a good AT will last over 200k easily without rebuilds. As far as control most AT these days will allow you to manually select a gear yourself via paddle or stick selector. And these days auto's have just as many gear ratio selections and spacing as manuals it basically makes it moot other then fun driving factor for enthusiasts,. Most auto equipped cars nowadays surpass manual models mpg as well (mainly because manual models tend to be geared shorter). I love stick shift cars but sitting in 70+ miles of LA stop n go traffic 5 days a week will drive me mad with a stick. If it were a performance car id stick with a manual for the fun factor but this is my daily commuter.
I went 150,000 miles on the original clutch with the BMW in LA traffic. If you are going to pay for the A/T and then use the paddle shifters (not even available with the Base model I have), then whats the point of automatic shifting? EPA numbers for A/T's are better than the M/T's mainly because of the test procedure, not in the real world. 27/33 becomes 34/37 for me. Ive experienced enough expensive A/T failures way below 150,000 miles (with full maintenance). The Fit may be different, but Honda does not have a good reputation with A/T's in recent years. Ask me about our Civic GX. Yes M/T's do wear out, but the Mazda 5-speed in the Ford Ranger only cost $375 to overhaul at the same transmission shop that charged me $1800 to do a Ford automatic, at just over 100,000 miles.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Yes, it is faster because of the shorter final, less driveline power loss through trans, ability to manipulate clutch and throttle, less weight.

I'm saying if you kill your clutch in 60k miles or are damaging shafts you have bad driving habits (slip clutch, no rev-match to downshift, jerky shifts, clutch dump).

Anyways, I don't trust Honda to build an auto trans, I never have and never will, they're just not very good at it. Honda makes some of the best manual gearboxes, why miss out on that?
+1 on the best manuals. I have driven petty much everything and nothing compares to the shifter and clutch feel of Honda. People who love the feel of a BMW manual must be the same people who would argue all the electrical failures in their Mercedes are what gives it character.

The earliest I have ever gone through a clutch was 180k in my 1988 Prelude 2.0Si 4WS. I sold my first civic at 210k with original clutch and tranny, and my Civic Hybrid has 160k right now on the original clutch and tranny with no issues. However, my 2013 Mustang GT wth 6,000 miles on it already feels notchy and pops out of first sometimes

Old 01-04-2013, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
What I said above...

Plus when a clutch goes I can replace it in my driveway in a couple hours...for less than $300. Good luck with your autos

When the clutch went out on my old Toyota pickup I drove it home in second gear without stopping. If I had to stop I would have just pushed it into neutral, then shut it off, put it in second and took off again. I doubt that would work in a modern car though without bypassing the neutral safety switch. Depends on whether the clutch pedal being pressed to the floor despite the clutch not working would still trip the switch and let you start the engine

Old 01-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Well, I go through clutches quickly in some applications.

But I'm usually just using the clutch as a fuse to save other, more expensive parts. I also change them myself so it's not like I'm taking a huge hit on the labor.

Went through two in 2011, the organic full-face disk in my S16G car and the pucked cera-metallic in my S200sx car

But I was also making more than 400lb-ft on one and well over 500lb-ft on the other.. which is more than either was rated for, again because they were intentionally used to save the rest of the drive train.

I'd rather the disc slips and glazes or burns then replace a $3000+ dollar gear set and LSD. Or break a cv-shaft, etc.

Attached Thumbnails 5 speed stick or the 5 speed Auto; and why ?-img0409gr.jpg   5 speed stick or the 5 speed Auto; and why ?-img0409gr.jpg  
Old 01-04-2013, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by nikita
I went 150,000 miles on the original clutch with the BMW in LA traffic. If you are going to pay for the A/T and then use the paddle shifters (not even available with the Base model I have), then whats the point of automatic shifting? EPA numbers for A/T's are better than the M/T's mainly because of the test procedure, not in the real world. 27/33 becomes 34/37 for me. Ive experienced enough expensive A/T failures way below 150,000 miles (with full maintenance). The Fit may be different, but Honda does not have a good reputation with A/T's in recent years. Ask me about our Civic GX. Yes M/T's do wear out, but the Mazda 5-speed in the Ford Ranger only cost $375 to overhaul at the same transmission shop that charged me $1800 to do a Ford automatic, at just over 100,000 miles.
I've never had to overhaul any transmission of any car I've owned (I've owned many) most of my cars in the past has been manual trans with the exception of 3 cars and none ever had gearbox issues! But I've replaced clutches on my 300zx TT not cause I don't know how to drive a stick but simply because my constant upgrades to the car couldn't hold the power. But since I've worked at couple of dealers I've seen many come in for clutch jobs (mostly sporty cars) but not so much auto replacements other then normal maintenance. And as far as mpg goes, my fit AT avg 39-40mpg of mix 30% city and 70% heavy LA freeway traffic, it's not bad and way above what the EPA says. Autos seem to be the future of gearboxes so get used to it, all the best supercars use auto gearboxes now. I like stick too, but it's now dead and very few makers even offer it besides low rent cars and base model pick up trucks.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 AM
I've never had to overhaul any transmission of any car I've owned (I've owned many) most of my cars in the past has been manual trans with the exception of 3 cars and none ever had gearbox issues! But I've replaced clutches on my 300zx TT not cause I don't know how to drive a stick but simply because my constant upgrades to the car couldn't hold the power. But since I've worked at couple of dealers I've seen many come in for clutch jobs (mostly sporty cars) but not so much auto replacements other then normal maintenance. And as far as mpg goes, my fit AT avg 39-40mpg of mix 30% city and 70% heavy LA freeway traffic, it's not bad and way above what the EPA says. Autos seem to be the future of gearboxes so get used to it, all the best supercars use auto gearboxes now. I like stick too, but it's now dead and very few makers even offer it besides low rent cars and base model pick up trucks.
Absolutely false, those are not automatics. And I'm not splitting hairs here.

They are computer shifted manuals, and you can still get a manual in many models, especially outside of the US.

Formula 1 and WRC use sequential manuals, more than a few motorsports use dogbox transmissions. They all still have clutches to get in and out of first/reverse at the very least, in a dogbox you can double clutch between gears as well when you are on the street and don't feel like banging gears in town because you have to shift with conviction so you don't eat up the dog-engagement trying to granny shift.

Unless you are in a drag race looking index or looking at consistency in thousandths of a second for competition purposes there is no excuse for an automatic unless you are disabled.

They are not more efficient, but they are getting better. If you have a fluid converter, you are not more efficient than a direct mechanical connection.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 01-04-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Absolutely false, those are not automatics. And I'm not splitting hairs here.

They are computer shifted manuals, and you can still get a manual in many models, especially outside of the US.

Formula 1 and WRC use sequential manuals, more than a few motorsports use dogbox transmissions. They all still have clutches to get in and out of first, in a dogbox you can double clutch between gears as well when you are on the street and don't feel like banging gears in town because you have to shift with conviction so you don't eat up the dog-engagement trying to granny shift.
True, I mean all modern automatics are computer controlled and shifted, I think what you mean is they are dry clutch automatics or dsg. They are different type of automatic but still is a automatic regardless they aren't the typical stick arrangement with the 3 pedals. I wasn't referring to super cars as in f1 or rally cars those are race cars, I was referring to like m3, GTr, Ferrari, lamborghini, etc

I will say this though part of my purchase decision was because they did not offer a 6 speed mt and the fact that I drive a lot of highway and I can't stand the buzzy engine at 4000rpm on the highway, if they had a slightly taller gear or a 6th I wouldn't have hesitated to buy the MT model, I still do have a soft spot for a manual trans car but just not this one. If I were to buy a scion frs which I might in the future it will def be a stick.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:18 PM
True, I mean all modern automatics are computer controlled and shifted, I think what you mean is they are dry clutch automatics or dsg. They are different type of automatic but still is a automatic regardless they aren't the typical stick arrangement with the 3 pedals. I wasn't referring to super cars as in f1 or rally cars those are race cars, I was referring to like m3, GTr, Ferrari, lamborghini, etc

I will say this though part of my purchase decision was because they did not offer a 6 speed mt and the fact that I drive a lot of highway and I can't stand the buzzy engine at 4000rpm on the highway, if they had a slightly taller gear or a 6th I wouldn't have hesitated to buy the MT model, I still do have a soft spot for a manual trans car but just not this one. If I were to buy a scion frs which I might in the future it will def be a stick.
Except for the fact that this is still not true:
Standard Features

And even with the converter locked up on the Fit, do you know what the rpm "penalty" is with the manual? Not enough to make a difference when you account for parasitic losses.

There is a reason that when you put Fits on the dyno the MTs read higher.

The US market does not receive manuals for ferraris and the like anymore for one reason: the yuppies who buy them, aren't capable of driving a manual without finding themselves facing traffic just trying to get up to speed from on an ramp that might have a curve in it.

Of the 8000 Ferrari Californias that were sold in the US the last year they offered the 6MT.. only TWO were ordered as manual.

It has nothing to do with the DSG being "better" which you could argue it is for the 15 thousandths of a second it can save you on a shift, but its not nearly as sporting. It's market share that is killing the MTX in this country.

When it comes to a 5MT Fit or a mid 8 second Powerglide-equipped radial tire car.. their is no question the PG car is faster, but it is not "sporty."

Old 01-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Automatics aren't the future CVT's and DCG's are.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
Autos seem to be the future of gearboxes so get used to it, all the best supercars use auto gearboxes now. I like stick too, but it's now dead and very few makers even offer it besides low rent cars and base model pick up trucks.
On the contrary, EVERY company that mass produces vehicles for sale in the US offers manual transmissions. Chrysler is the closest to not having a manual, but they now own Fiat and the stellar little Abarth which comes ONLY with a manual.

Low production vehicles like Ferraris and Lamorghinis are no longer offered with manuals (I believe) because they have fallen prey to paper wars over lap times and acceleration figures. Cars that are purpose built to lap the Nurburgring in the fastest time possible need to have some type of automatic with paddle shifters. However, unless I was a serious racer competing against others for the best times or driving such a technical track that removing a hand from the wheel was dangerous, I would prefer a manual 100% of the time.

Go drive a Nissan GTR how 99% of owners in the US drive them: to Starbucks, around town, in your neighborhood, and see how fun the auto is. I hated it, and will never purchase a car without a conventional clutch-operated manual unless it has some specific use where the automatic would be far superior (like pro track racing).

It is a real shame companies like Toyota are forcing out the manual trans. I used to work for them and they would offer the manual with fewer and fewer trims and options, so they could lower demand, and then use that lower demand to justify eliminating the manual from a model completely. Fortunately the Scion brand remains faithful to M/T drivers with the xD, xB, Tc, and FR-S.

For my fellow M/T enthusiasts, here are some cars to buy "today" that may no longer offer the manual "tomorrow":
-Audi R8
-Porsche 911 turbo
-Acura TL SH-AWD
-Subaru Forester
-Mazda CX-5
-Honda Accord

Old 01-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Alright I've had enough If you have a manual Fit whoop de doo

knock yourself out and I will enjoy my A/T just as much.The 5spd auto in the Fit sport with paddles is fun to drive for me and I do not miss anything a manual has to offer.

I guess It's the way I drive my car compared to most other A/T fit owners.
I'm not disabled so stop with that lame comment.

I also ride scooters both small 150cc and larger 600cc and enjoy them just as much as my 1200cc Moto Guzzi motorcycle.

It's a matter of personal choice and nothing else.I've owned plenty of high hp cars with both auto and manual transmissions and enjoyed them equally.

anyone putting down the A/T Fit needs to shut up and let those of us who chose it over the manual enjoy our cars because we are not trying to please you.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:59 PM

But you might as well have bought a minivan, because the experience is about the same.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
I think for any fair comparison all the auto owners who have not owned a manual for any length of time should be disregarded...same would go for a manual owner who has not owned automatics (which is rare).

I would bet most people who have owned a Honda manual and automatic for any length of time would prefer the manual.

I separate it as who is a real "driver" in my mind. Do you like to text and read Wikipedia while driving, because driving is just a necessary part of life, or do you really enjoy the control of the car and the feel of the road? Do you always volunteer or even insist on driving when travelling in a group or are you grateful when someone else offers?

It can often be associated with other traits:
-Are you the kind of person who shaves with a straight razor (or would like to?)
-Do you do most of your own maintenance/repairs?
-Do you order your steaks medium rare?
-Do you prefer the road less traveled? The winding mountain road that takes an extra 10 minutes to get where you're going?
-Do you like the idea of your car never getting stolen?
-Do you own a torque wrench and know how to use it?

If you answered yes to any if these questions, consider a manual.

Buy automatics if you answer yes to any of the following:
-Do you always keep hand sanitizer nearby, like in your car or desk?
-Do you spend a lot of time getting ready in the morning, fixing your hair and making sure your appearance is just right?
-When the roads are really nasty do you prefer to stay inside and avoid driving?
-Do you love fruity sweet wines?
-Do you own 5+ pairs of shoes (work shoes don't count if you have a profession that requires certain shoes)
-Do you ask someone for help or go to the shop when your car makes a funny noise?
-Do you like adding chrome trim or putting oversized chrome rims on your car?
-Do you add badges to your car that don't belong like "Turbo" or "Si"?
-Are you very old or disabled?

(Flame suit on)

Old 01-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters

But you might as well have bought a minivan, because the experience is about the same.
Not the same but pretty close
Name:  minivan.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  193.1 KB
Name:  Minivan006.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  273.0 KB

Old 01-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Good point, the minivan is faster.

So... way to shoot your argument right in the ass.lol

Old 01-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Sapper
I think for any fair comparison all the auto owners who have not owned a manual for any length of time should be disregarded...same would go for a manual owner who has not owned automatics (which is rare).

I would bet most people who have owned a Honda manual and automatic for any length of time would prefer the manual.

I separate it as who is a real "driver" in my mind. Do you like to text and read Wikipedia while driving, because driving is just a necessary part of life, or do you really enjoy the control of the car and the feel of the road? Do you always volunteer or even insist on driving when travelling in a group or are you grateful when someone else offers?

It can often be associated with other traits:
-Are you the kind of person who shaves with a straight razor (or would like to?)
-Do you do most of your own maintenance/repairs?
-Do you order your steaks medium rare?
-Do you prefer the road less traveled? The winding mountain road that takes an extra 10 minutes to get where you're going?
-Do you like the idea of your car never getting stolen?
-Do you own a torque wrench and know how to use it?

If you answered yes to any if these questions, consider a manual.

Buy automatics if you answer yes to any of the following:
-Do you always keep hand sanitizer nearby, like in your car or desk?
-Do you spend a lot of time getting ready in the morning, fixing your hair and making sure your appearance is just right?
-When the roads are really nasty do you prefer to stay inside and avoid driving?
-Do you love fruity sweet wines?
-Do you own 5+ pairs of shoes (work shoes don't count if you have a profession that requires certain shoes)
-Do you ask someone for help or go to the shop when your car makes a funny noise?
-Do you like adding chrome trim or putting oversized chrome rims on your car?
-Do you add badges to your car that don't belong like "Turbo" or "Si"?
-Are you very old or disabled?

(Flame suit on)

Quick Reply: 5 speed stick or the 5 speed Auto; and why ?