General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

New potential buyer, any transmission concern?

Old 03-11-2013, 10:50 PM
New potential buyer, any transmission concern?

My 98 honda accord, which I personally bought new in 98, has a failing auto transmission and instead of spending $$$ to put a rebuild/reman one in, I'm shopping for a higher MPG new smaller car.

The 2013 Fit w/AT is top of my short list. Also on the list is Ford Fiesta and Hyundai Accent. Rather than have this be a shoot out thread on those options, let's stick with the Fit:

Are there concerns out there about the long-term reliability (I keep cars a long time) of the 5-AT in the newest Fits? I'm asking because I know honda has an unusual transmission design with its own challenges. I remember the Odyssey failures, and some Accord failures. And now mine going out at 160k. Has honda fixed the fundamental issues with some of their trannies? Or has the Fit not aged enough to tell? The threads on this forum about dark fluid and short changing intervals make me nervous...

Old 03-12-2013, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Austinite
My 98 honda accord, which I personally bought new in 98, has a failing auto transmission and instead of spending $$$ to put a rebuild/reman one in, I'm shopping for a higher MPG new smaller car.

The 2013 Fit w/AT is top of my short list. Also on the list is Ford Fiesta and Hyundai Accent. Rather than have this be a shoot out thread on those options, let's stick with the Fit:

Are there concerns out there about the long-term reliability (I keep cars a long time) of the 5-AT in the newest Fits? I'm asking because I know honda has an unusual transmission design with its own challenges. I remember the Odyssey failures, and some Accord failures. And now mine going out at 160k. Has honda fixed the fundamental issues with some of their trannies? Or has the Fit not aged enough to tell? The threads on this forum about dark fluid and short changing intervals make me nervous...
We've had several blown engines on the site (user error) but no reports of transmission failures. The most famous was one that went from nitrous to turboed with an automatic. Two engines later the transmission was still going strong. Lots of high mileage Fits at this point.

The Accord/Odyssey failures of 10 years ago were with V6s, and Honda repaired those even out of warranty.

I had a 97 Odyssey with 225K on it with no transmission issues (it was a 4cyl 1st gen) when I got the Fit.

Changing fluid every 7k miles to avoid the heartbreak of discolored fluid is a problem best solved with xanax.

Be careful; the Fit is a small inexpensive car. Noise, comfort, finish, all will be worse than the Accord.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:05 AM
Banned
I can't remember one complete failure since they have been out. There were a very few that needed one solenoid switch that needed changing but it's easy because it's external. The dark fluid is just normal for a fluid doing it's job.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the replies! Yeah, I know the Fit is less car than the Accord. I borrowed one for a week recently and rather enjoyed it! I'm not judging current-Honda by my one failing transmission from 1998 - just wanting to make sure they addressed the bits of their design that needed addressing.