General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

New Honda Fit/Jazz to feature collision-avoidance system

Old 04-04-2013, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
New Honda Fit/Jazz to feature collision-avoidance system

Starting this summer (Northern Hemisphere), the Japanese-market version of the Honda Fit/Jazz will be offered with the automaker’s new City-Brake Active System. It’s designed to minimize the chances of collisions at low speeds.
The system incorporates a laser radar unit, that’s located in the upper section of the windshield. When it detects an obstacle in the path of the car – and the car is traveling no faster than 30 km/h (18 mph) – the system starts by warning the driver via audio and visual cues. If the driver doesn’t immediately take action to avoid a collision, the brakes are automatically applied.
Additionally, City-Brake is designed to guard against accidental sudden accelerations, when the car is at a standstill or moving at less than 10 km/h (6 mph). Under those conditions, if the accelerator is pressed suddenly and an object is within four meters (13 feet) of the front of the vehicle, the audio and visual warnings are once again activated. If the driver doesn’t respond right away, the engine output will be decreased in order to stop the car.
Along with its upcoming introduction in Japan, the City-Brake Active System will be making its way into European Fits/Jazzes at a yet-to-be-established date. There's no word on other markets at this point.
Honda already features its Collision Mitigation Braking System in select models, while automakers including Volvo, Subaru and Mazda offer similar systems.

Added:

Honda will introduce an all-new Fit for 2014, and expectations are running high—over two generations, the small hatchback has appeared on our 10Best Cars list every year since 2007. Although the company has yet to release many details about the next-generation version, we do know that production will switch next year from high-cost Japan to low-cost Mexico. And now we also know that Honda will officially introduce its City Brake Active automatic braking system via the redesigned 2014 Fit, although it hasn’t yet confirmed the system for the U.S. market.

But one key to increasing acceptance of subcompacts in America will be the trickle-down of safety technology, so it might be smart to offer it here. Honda’s accident-avoidance system is geared to urban environments, and is active at speeds up to 18 mph. As with similar systems announced by Volvo and Mazda, Honda’s City Brake Active system tracks traffic ahead with a windshield-mounted laser. If the system determines that a collision is imminent, it will flash visual and audible alerts to the driver. If the driver fails to take action to avoid an accident, the system automatically applies the brakes. Honda’s active brake system will also intervene if the driver inadvertently floors the accelerator while stopped or traveling at less than 6 mph if another car ahead is closer than four meters (about 13 feet or slightly less than the length of one Honda Fit), effectively denying the request to accelerate.

Honda brass previously confirmed two future Fit spinoffs, a subcompact crossover to compete with the Nissan Juke, Buick Encore, and Kia Soul—this was previewed by the Honda Urban SUV concept shown at the 2013 Detroit auto show—and a subcompact four-door sedan similar to the current Honda City. The latter car will battle the Ford Fiesta, Chevy Sonic, Toyota Yaris, Nissan Versa, and Hyundai Accent, and will be aimed at Americans who hate hatchbacks and love the gawky styling typical of puny sedans. The new Fit hatchback will go on sale in Japan later this year, and we expect our model to arrive at approximately the same time.

Last edited by cjecpa; 04-04-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
I dunno if I like this idea. It seems like so much could go wrong. Like the sudden acceleration system. What if I wanna take off suddenly? I wouldn't want a contraption castrating my already puny ride!

Gimme a system to warn me of any Asian drivers in my vicinity and ill buy that in a heartbeat I kid, kid...

Old 04-08-2013, 04:48 AM
Banned
^^^^^ agree 100% I mean it's not like machines never make a mistake.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
Maybe something that will warn you if someone near you is texting behind the wheel? But then if it sends you a text message which lets you know about it..... crap, there goes that patent idea!

Last edited by gkitf16; 05-01-2013 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Messed up