General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Is my fit a lemon? wth is wrong with this thing avg 20mpg!! nah!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
Is my fit a lemon? wth is wrong with this thing avg 20mpg!! nah!

So I had a 09 ge8 auto that I traded in for an 11 ge8 auto and this 11 has gotten way worse mpg than my 09 ever did. I took it in two or three times over the first year and a half only to have Honda say they can't find a problem. Told me a number of excuses. It got to a point where I just gave up and accepted it I guess. But now. Lol wow we really have a problem.its averaging 20-23mpg a tank. Yes I've measured it by the amount of gallons put in by the difference in the odometers mileage. I've done the tire thing, the psi and have even tried several different brands and even different lighter weight wheels and tires all to no change. In fact if anything its gotten way worse. It was bad enuff back in the beginning getting 25-26mpg but now its literally at 20-23mpg. So I've taken it to a different dealer. What they proposed was to go to same gas station three times for fill up and even use the same pump. Write down the odometers mileage at beginning and end of each fill up on back of the reciepts. I've done that. I've went above and beyond it as matter of fact and done it six times now. He also asked that I get Honda dealer I bought it from and serviced at for these problems in past to email me the service records from them to me so I can give them to the new dealer. All that is done. Average has been 209-218 miles per full 10gallon tank. Last one was the worst tho at only 187 miles. So why is this happening. Its still under warranty of course. Why is the other dealer having me perform these gas monitoring exercises? Why didn't the original dealership do this? He even said they should have! So what do u guys think? Is he trying to help me? Cause he said once I do this stuff bring it in and they'll go thru it to see what's wrong and if can't find a reason then next step is contact Honda of north america. I wonder why tho! I'm not heavy on throttle and am meticulous in maintenance. What's yalls thoughts ? I'm gonna take it in Friday morn. Going they provide a loaner as its my only transportation and I can't afford a rental at all! The guy seemed as tho he wants to help but was also seemingly cautious in his words. Anyone have ideas on what he may be up to? Is he gonna lemon it? If its a lemon what happens then? Ive put alotta money down payment wise and payments as well so wtf? This has me ready to scream.

Last edited by Jango_Fit; 07-25-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah here's how many miles I've gotten last six full tanks.

1. 213
2. 219
3. 209
4. 211
5. 203
6. 187

Each one was a full tank and at the same gas station on the same exact pump. Pump #3 !!! Horrible figures. And yes thats the right figures according to the odometer and the trip counter. I sat and did the math myself! They are actually in 99.9% perfect sync with each other. I'm at a loss. I do know this. This car is eating my wallet on gas!! Lol help!

Old 07-25-2013, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator
that is quite low.

describe ur typical route, ur driving style. amount of load. i dont remember do u have paddles?

Old 07-25-2013, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
50/50 city and highway no load but me 185lbs. Lol paddles yes. But I don't use em cause I tried once and made no difference. Driving style is normal. I know its not a race car. Lol I bought it for looks and economy.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:34 AM
Super Moderator
city driving kills the mpg. try the paddles. when accelerating keep hitting the paddles to upshift at the earliest possible moment. keeps rpms low. ive gone from from 30~ mpg to 35-37 now, doing that. i'm 90/10 highway/city, but my commute is so short like 11 miles, i can probably get better if it was longer.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah I've tried it before. Just didn't make difference. I'm just curious why this service manager at a dealer I didn't buy it from is having me do the gas fill up 3 times at same station , same pump #. Lol weird . I bought it from a big Honda dealer. The one helping me out is very very small Honda dealership and its a family owned.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator
wasnt there a tsb recall for faulty mpg reading with with yours? do u know if it was ever done?

Old 07-25-2013, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
That I'm aware of no. But maybe. But its right as I'm doing the math myself as well. Unless my odometer is reading wrong all together. That'd suck. But it feels like it runs out too quickly anyways. I guess I'll find out taking it in. Its just weird. Love the car regardless. Lol

Old 07-25-2013, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
That is horribly low fuel mileage for a Fit. Same basic questions like xxryu139x asked, just higher detail...

The reason the service manager specified that you refuel at the same station and pump is to try to achieve the most consistent test result (in this case your fuel economy) by ruling out variables like fuel condition/blend and amount pumped into the vehicle. Not all fuel is the same, 87 octane at one station may not be the same as 87 at another station and could possibly have more/less ethanol or other chemicals/containments in the fuel.

What kind of fuel are you running (87/89/93 octane... is it E10/E85... etc.)?

How do you and your wife/GF drive it (relaxed/casual cruising or aggressive/eager on the throttle)? I also understand that you are located in the Houston area which can be a fairly diverse area with different driving situations, how do ya'll drive the Fit (including route details like approx. mileage and condition [traffic jams/sudden slowing or speeding up due to "typical Houston rolling roadblocks", etc.])?

Old 07-25-2013, 02:18 AM
You could always sell it and try something else. I bet someone would buy that car really fast and give you a good price.

Ya know another thing I just thought of....go to a dealership and tell them you want to possibly trade your fit in for a new one. Reset the trip odometer and go for a nice long test drive. See what mpg you get.

Last edited by DavefromCA; 07-25-2013 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:16 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah hootie. I'm the only driver. I don't go into Houston. I'm in the woodlands area. Live and work here. I'm just running regular like it asks for. I tried mid grade and premium and it made no diff. Lol trading in on a new one would be nice but I'm upside down as it is. Lol I've drove a couple of friends fits and there's are different too but way better than mine. Ones consistent in the 30-32mpg range and the others in the 28-30mpg range. All bone stock unmodded like mine. Only thing done to mine is progress 1" lowering springs. Lowering if anything should help mpg's in my past experiences. Lol

Old 07-25-2013, 04:35 AM
Banned
Do you have a locking gas cap? Is it accessible to others during the night? Somebody siphoning your fuel?

Old 07-25-2013, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by loudbang
Do you have a locking gas cap? Is it accessible to others during the night? Somebody siphoning your fuel?

No. It must be the bugs in my garage doing it if so! Lol always garaged! Nah I had accepted it was maybe me till Honda said even if u were drag racing this thing everyday you should never get mpg that low on a fit! Haha. So they're having me do those fillups (done) and bring it in. I made this thread just curious as to why he was making me do it and what they're next step may be. If anyone had went thru this anyways.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:44 AM
Try getting a code scanner and see what codes it says. You may have a problem and its just not kicking the CEL on.

Even with my spirited driving style, my Fit gets 32+ mpg

Old 07-25-2013, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jango_Fit
Yeah here's how many miles I've gotten last six full tanks.

1. 213
2. 219
3. 209
4. 211
5. 203
6. 187

Each one was a full tank and at the same gas station on the same exact pump. Pump #3 !!! Horrible figures. And yes thats the right figures according to the odometer and the trip counter. I sat and did the math myself! They are actually in 99.9% perfect sync with each other. I'm at a loss. I do know this. This car is eating my wallet on gas!! Lol help!
Just as a sanity check, how many gallons did you pump at each of the above fill-ups? Filling up from a totally empty tank, (unlikely) would be 10.6 gallons used each fill-up, giving you an average of 20 mpg. On the other hand, if there was still fuel left in the tank then the mpg would be a little higher. For example, if you averaged 8.6 gallons per fill-up, then your mileage would be around 24 mpg. Still bad, but not quite as bad as 20 mpg.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rampo
Just as a sanity check, how many gallons did you pump at each of the above fill-ups? Filling up from a totally empty tank, (unlikely) would be 10.6 gallons used each fill-up, giving you an average of 20 mpg. On the other hand, if there was still fuel left in the tank then the mpg would be a little higher. For example, if you averaged 8.6 gallons per fill-up, then your mileage would be around 24 mpg. Still bad, but not quite as bad as 20 mpg.

My average fill up was 9.3-9.9 gallons fill up each time. I usually travel about 15-20miles past the low fuel light.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
I was told by the service manager to do it like that by the way! He wants it all to be very close in documentation. Seriously nice guy considering he don't know me from Adam and I didn't even buy my car from them.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:37 PM
How many miles on the car? What does the dashboard MPG display tell you vs. what you are calculating?

I don't think I could get 20 mpg in the fit if I tried. I'd have to be at a track day or something

Old 07-25-2013, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
Its at 39k but its been an underachiever from day one. It just recently got way worse. Drive style is easy, tires are great at perfect psi ,oil fresh , everything's good but it won't get more than 200-220 a tank. Idk why. The calculator matches what its doing . I even GPS tracked my mileage and it matched. I'm telling u folks this things not right. Lol I'll see Monday. Just had call from north american Honda. They wanna resolve it once and for all they said so well see.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
i bet someones siphoning ur tank!

Quick Reply: Is my fit a lemon? wth is wrong with this thing avg 20mpg!! nah!