General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Oil Change Gone Wrong

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
Oil Change Gone Wrong

So yesterday I ended up picking up a nice pair of 3 tonne jack stands for $20 from Princess Auto. Needed new ones. So today I was super excited to use my new stands and to unbox them. So I decided why not test them out on my oil change.

Low and behold this is what I realized after going under my car.

1. my drain plug was stripped so bad, it was almost a 15-16mm socket.
2. it was on there so bloody tight that it took me about 20 minutes getting it off.

Now why was it stripped and over tightened? I could not tell you as I have always had my oil changes done at the dealer.

Anyways, roughly an hour and 20 minutes later I have successfully changed my oil. I tell you, I didnt expect any of that today. Especially when my car was only serviced at the dealer. Would think Honda Techs would know not to over tighten.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:31 PM
the honda tech probably didnt change your oil. the quick lube tech employed at the honda dealer did. most times these lube dudes have an entry level training certificate and thats it. most oil changers at dealers ive worked at had to be trained to change oil.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
Well these quick lube tech people clearly have no idea what they are doing. I had to use vice grips and a hammer to get this sucker off. Was not clean either. But my oil filter wasnt over tweaked. Its like the dude got half the job right.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GinoLicious
Anyways, roughly an hour and 20 minutes later I have successfully changed my oil. I tell you, I didnt expect any of that today. Especially when my car was only serviced at the dealer. Would think Honda Techs would know not to over tighten.
Even dealers get sloppy. I always make it a habit to double-check any work done when practical. Of course checking your drain plug after an oil change by someone else is not practical. Good thing you decided to DIY your oil change this time. Lessons learned...

Gino, meet hogwylde. Here's his story: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ml#post1018811

Enjoy!

Old 08-25-2013, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
It was a lesson learned today thats for sure. I wouldn't consider myself a full blown mechanic, but I am not a dummy. My hardest job I think would have been a gas tank swap and fuel pump replacement on an 89 EF hatch back in high school.

Minor repairs I have never felt the need to do myself, that's why I trusted the dealer to do them. Speaking of which, I guess its time to go out and buy my own torque wrench for tire swaps and rotations. Another maintenance that I do not do as I don't feel the need to own a torque wrench. But after what happened to my drain plug, its off to get the wrench. God forbid my lug nuts are wonky.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:45 PM
They probably do it with the car on a lift, and a longer wrench, so it's a lot easier to get it very tight. Not saying it was correct, but that's how they did it.

I had a hard time getting my oil filter off after the first visit to the dealer- either they put it on really tight or forgot to put oil on the gasket. Either way they're not getting my car back for more service unless it's something I need them for.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
You probably need a new crush washer (sounds like they crushed the life out of it). Honda recommends replacing this each time the oil is changed.

If it's torqued to specs you shouldn't have this problem. I've never seen an oil-change lane use torque wrenches. Avoiding the cost of having an oversized plug drilled and tapped will pay for the stands and part of a jack.

Overtightened lug-nuts during tire installs/rotations is another expensive issue. One incident will pay for the rest of the jack and a good torque-wrench.

The problem is they put the least qualified mechanics on things like oil-changes, tire rotations. These tasks are easy to do correctly if you have the time and tools (in defense of the people doing this at the shops, they rarely have either). Avoiding service errors in these areas is worth the time and effort.

Brake service is pretty easy too; at least do your own inspections as the guys in the tire rotation lane will tell you brakes need changing with 30K miles of life left.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:17 PM
.....And this is why I DIY.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
Speaking of which, I guess its time to go out and buy my own torque wrench for tire swaps and rotations. Another maintenance that I do not do as I don't feel the need to own a torque wrench. But after what happened to my drain plug, its off to get the wrench. God forbid my lug nuts are wonky.
Definitely! That was my first "lessons learned" moment a loooong while back with a previous car. Brought the car in to a tire shop for a set of new tires, mount, balance, the works.

Drove off after the service and immediately heard a klank klank sound as I rolled. Immediately made a U turn and brought it back to the shop. Lo and behold, all my lug nuts were loose. Just thinkin' I could have "owned" the shop but fortunately or unfortunately I made it back to the shop without incident.

This was a tire shop! All I could think of then was brain fart, lunch break or somethin'. Definitely not done intentionally. But s*** happens.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sorry to hear, op. my 09' still has the overfilled oil the dealer did last Fall. dumbarses put nearly 5qt in there during the 40K maintenance.

especially if the dealer is a multi-brand dealer, the tech could be using SAE tools vs metric. sounds stupid, but ive seen this happen before expecially on lug nuts.

im going to be doing an oil change this week to fix the dealer's work. why pay $35 for dino oil and crappy work when you can buy mobil1 at walmart and with filter still come out less?

Old 08-27-2013, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
I totally agree.. That is why I started doing it myself. 5qts is a lot for the Fit. I generally buy a 4.4L jug and throw it in, not all of it of course, I go just go by the dip stick.

I have never generally had a problem with my tires now that I think about it, as the last couple of times they were changed by my buddy who owns a tire shop, but thats only for changes. THere probably was one oil change at the dealer and rotation, but the lug nuts were fine.

Lastly, if your oil filter is ever on real, real, real tight. As in you cannot twist it off, your 250lb friend cant turn it off, a belt cants turn it off, and that stupid oil filter tool cant get it off? This may get messy, but take a flat head, smash it through the filter and twist it off. I guess my gasket wasnt oiled.

I am embarrassed for my local dealer. Their work was disgusting.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:20 AM
5 Year Member
Lastly, if your oil filter is ever on real, real, real tight. As in you cannot twist it off, your 250lb friend cant turn it off, a belt cants turn it off, and that stupid oil filter tool cant get it off? This may get messy, but take a flat head, smash it through the filter and twist it off. I guess my gasket wasnt oiled.
Or you can use some larger pliers. Like the pipe wrench pliers (long handle and angled at the pivot point). That's what I did when I did my oil change out of town (stop over in San Diego during road trip in '11). I normally use the OEM filter cap adapter during my oil changes, but didn't think to bring it with me on my road trip. And of course, I tighten the filter pretty good.

There were a few other oil filter tools, the "self-adjusting" filter wrench and plastic filter cap. Neither worked because both would just slip. Even tried using them together, no dice. Got fed up, grabbed the pliers, opened it enough to reach around, then crushed the sucker and finally twisted it off.

The advantage is... you don't need to puncture the filter, so you don't make an additional mess.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers

The advantage is... you don't need to puncture the filter, so you don't make an additional mess.
Now pliers would have been the smarter bet. I guess the Portuguese in me just wasnt thinking. Well next time if I have the issue ill be sure to use pliers. Haha. But I won't have that issue again as I never over tighten my oil filter.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
yah, i have several different sizes of oil filter wrenches ive bought over the years.

it is true some of them bastards torque the filters on so frikken tight (or without putting any oil on the o-ring) one must use a oil filter wrench to remove it.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
yah, i have several different sizes of oil filter wrenches ive bought over the years.

it is true some of them bastards torque the filters on so frikken tight (or without putting any oil on the o-ring) one must use a oil filter wrench to remove it.
But you should never need that tool unless done incorrectly.

Lately I've been poking around at family members and friends cars serviced at the dealer. Every car is now a DIY oil change because everyone had same issues as me. Guess it's a theme with Honda. Put the stuff on so tight so ya gotta go to the dealer haha.

Last edited by GinoLicious; 08-28-2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: I'm bad at spelling. Haha
Old 08-28-2013, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
when i do my oil changes the filter is on there tight, but not so tight that i cant loosen it with my hand.

it's the frikken dealers i tell ya. over torquing the plug and filter amongst many other things like lug nuts.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:19 AM
Banned
I totally agree.. That is why I started doing it myself. 5qts is a lot for the Fit. I generally buy a 4.4L jug and throw it in, not all of it of course, I go just go by the dip stick.

Surprised nobody threw out a solution using a fumoto valve put one and and no more drain bolt problems.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...ver-spent.html

Old 09-02-2013, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
DIY Oil Changes

I've always done my own oil changes. On my GD Fit, I never used a crush washer, NEVER had a leak, never stripped a bolt etc. and always R&R oil filters w/o a wrench. I've got 5k miles on my GE, and first oil change is coming up, even though it's only at 50%, BUT I've had it 16 months!!
'12 VBP 5MT w/minor appearance & comfort mods!!

Old 09-02-2013, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fittmann
I've got 5k miles on my GE, and first oil change is coming up, even though it's only at 50%, BUT I've had it 16 months!!
'12 VBP 5MT w/minor appearance & comfort mods!!
Dang! 5k @ 16 months?

Old 09-04-2013, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
i did both my GE's oil changes over the weekend. the '12 was it's first time, not bad.

the 09' was last done at the dealer last Fall for the 40k service and holy frikken hell, they tightened the plug like a mofo. had to use my 1/2" long handle ratchet i use for my lugs to break it loose. and also the filter. was completely bottomed out to the point that the paint on the filter was cracked and rusting. wtf is wrong with the dealer?

anyway, used 0W20 mobil1 green cap in my '12 and 5W20 mobil1 silver cap on my '09.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Gone Wrong