General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Can a newbie do interior mods?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 04:24 PM
Can a newbie do interior mods?

Hello all,

Been a lurker here for a bit.

I don't own a Fit yet but am hoping to get one here soon. Have a few 2012 Sport models being shipped to my area for me to go look at hopefully later this week.

I thought long and hard about getting a new 2015 Fit because I love the interior upgrades available, such as leather seats, heated seats, auto headlights (if I didn't have auto headlights, I would constantly forget), and interior illumination. But, there are a few reasons I'm now leaning away from buying new, for reasons I won't get into here.

Now, I know I can go to a professional installer and get things like Katzkin or other leather seats, and even heaters installed. Probably could also get an interior illumination kit installed too. But I also know alot of people do these things on their own.

My issue is, I have ZERO experience with tinkering with cars in this manner. I am a bit of a DIY'er around the home, but just have zero experience in this kind of area. I certainly don't want to screw up my car or make it some how unsafe.

Are these kind of interior modifications something you think I could do on my own with (alot) of help from the internet? Or would it be better to just leave it to someone with experience?

Also, is there ANY way (either myself or professionally) to get automatic headlights installed on a car that doesn't come with them? I think that is the "luxury" feature from my current car I will miss the most. And sadly, I do anticipate draining the battery from forgetting to turn the lights off. Pathetic I know, but hey, I'm a realist.....

Old 09-01-2014, 11:25 PM
Adding the interior illumination should be easy if you have the right tools. Pickup a set of car trim tools and a spudger set then follow the Honda instructions.

The hardest part is making sure not to mar/scratch any plastic that is visible, the rest is simple disassemble, plug in, screw in, reassemble.

I can't comment about adding auto headlights but would suggest doing a google search, I bet it's possible.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:28 AM
5 Year Member
I added Clazzio seat covers with the leather inserts. Also installed heated seats and replaced door panel material. GO for it.

Here are a couple of links to get you started.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ted-seats.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...l-cutouts.html

Old 09-02-2014, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
The Fit's interior panels are extremely easy to take off for modifications. There are several DIY videos on youtube that cover removing the door panels, etc. along with plenty of pics and DIY guides on this forum. Go for it.

-Dustin