General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Brake Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
Brake Maintenance

my 2011 Sport is hitting 80,000 miles soon

I am going to change the brake fluid, probably change brake disck/pads
but my mechanic said my disc/pad are still 50% good, so he suggested to replace only the brake fluid

can anybody advice if I just replace everything?

what is a very good brake fluid replacement or should i just buy oem brake fluid...I use the fit just for daily driving but a lot of it...i DO NOT track it or race it

is this also a good replacement brakeline kit?

https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...oModClar=Sport

if i buy my own brake fluid how many liters should i get?

thanks

Last edited by phenoyz; 04-09-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:57 PM
It's absolutely pointless to change the brake pads or rotors if the pads have 50% life left and the rotors are neither worn nor warped. It's kind of equivalent to replacing your radiator just because you're changing the coolant, or replacing the windshield because the wiper blades are worn out.

Similarly I don't think there is no need to replace six year old brake lines unless they've been damaged or are visibly worn. Maybe at 12 years it would be worth considering—they do eventually wear out/disintegrate internally, but it takes a good long time to happen. The only possible reason to think of replacing them now would be if you think the pedal feel is not good or something—but I don't get the impression that you're really dissatisfied, or you would have upgraded/changed things long ago.

For normal driving, pretty much any brake fluid should be OK (provided it meets the proper specifications).

Old 04-09-2015, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DrewE
It's absolutely pointless to change the brake pads or rotors if the pads have 50% life left and the rotors are neither worn nor warped. It's kind of equivalent to replacing your radiator just because you're changing the coolant, or replacing the windshield because the wiper blades are worn out.

Similarly I don't think there is no need to replace six year old brake lines unless they've been damaged or are visibly worn. Maybe at 12 years it would be worth considering—they do eventually wear out/disintegrate internally, but it takes a good long time to happen. The only possible reason to think of replacing them now would be if you think the pedal feel is not good or something—but I don't get the impression that you're really dissatisfied, or you would have upgraded/changed things long ago.

For normal driving, pretty much any brake fluid should be OK (provided it meets the proper specifications).

Thanks !!! I do have a tendency to "OVER-DO" things ...
I just wanted it very well maintained
I drive a lot (150miles/day) work...

Last edited by phenoyz; 04-12-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:41 AM
5 Year Member
and use Honda brake fluid.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
and use Honda brake fluid.
Will do.
thanks for the advice.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phenoyz
Will do.
thanks for the advice.
Honda brake fluid is cheap as dirt and supposedly contains special additives. Apparently you can use any other fluid for the other applications (transmission, oil, wipers etc) but for brakes it is supposed to be OEM or else you risk premature corrosion.

two bottles is good for a brake job but for brakes and clutch cylinder two bottles is cutting it close. I don't have the service manual but the service limit for the brake pads is about 2mm I think so unless the friction material is worn down really badly, you should be good.