General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

How can this be??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
How can this be??

I love my little Fit and drive it whenever possible. I volunteer to do chores just to drive it and I even drove from Massachusetts to Arkansas this year (3,001 miles R/T) to wish my father a happy birthday.

So today I get my yearly inspection done and in 13 months (it had expired ) I managed to only drive 5,756 miles? So if I hadn't driven to Arkansas I would have only put on 2,755 miles?

Something ain't right.

Attached Thumbnails How can this be??-20160102_114058_zps9ibqvomc.jpg  
Old 01-02-2016, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
You've got a car that's maybe 8 years old with only 41,000 miles on it? Wow.
You don't drive it very much.....(but that's probably more driving than I do).

Old 01-02-2016, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezone
You've got a car that's maybe 8 years old with only 41,000 miles on it? Wow.
You don't drive it very much.....(but that's probably more driving than I do).
One reason for my low mileage is having a company vehicle but I would not have expected it to be that low.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:15 PM
2800 miles in 13 months sounds off to me. I drive my car to work and back (40 mins round trip), hit the grocery store on the way home a couple times, and leave it sitting the rest of the time and we still see probably 9K miles/year on it.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
^ My drive to work is only 5.6 miles each way.
5k per year in my car is a whole bunch for me, but somehow that's about how much I've been putting on it. (Almost 20k now on a 2012 car.)
Plus, I have more than one vehicle I drive.

At the other extreme, Mr. HARRYHONDINI posted that he already racked up 100k miles on his 2015 Fit. That engine probably hasn't cooled off since it left the dealers lot!

OP: The odometer doesn't lie, unless someone misread it.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
I mean 6 years and 42k miles...3k is totally plausible.

You only average 7k/year anyway.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:49 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
my '12 has no more than 20k - 21k miles on it. so it's possible. lol

i own 2 other cars besides the wife's new GK, so when i add up the total miles im about 10K/yr. still short vs folks who have long commutes.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
Anything is possible! My brother has an '09 GE fit with less than 25k original miles (he works from home)

Old 11-24-2019, 06:52 PM
Low, low miles!

I bought my wife a brand new Fit early in 2010, and as of today, 11-24-2019, it's only got 7,305 miles on the odometer.

Garage kept and even the exhaust system doesn't have a bit or rust on it. Did put a new battery in it last summer as it seemed like it wasn't holding a charge.

Change the oil twice a year whether it needs it or not.

Old 11-25-2019, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
Wow...that is incredible low mileage for a 2010!
My 2010 Fit has 210K miles.
You will prob see the tpms light come on in the near future. No big deal...at around 10 years, the batteries give up.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by steve37
Wow...that is incredible low mileage for a 2010!
My 2010 Fit has 210K miles.
You will prob see the tpms light come on in the near future. No big deal...at around 10 years, the batteries give up.
One is on now. I'm trying to find a place that doesn't want an arm and a leg to replace them. I've got quotes from ~$450 up to $1,200!
Seems ridiculous for something so inexpensive. If I was a few years younger and didn't have cancer and bad arthritis, I would do it myself.

Old 11-26-2019, 05:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by comrade
One is on now. I'm trying to find a place that doesn't want an arm and a leg to replace them. I've got quotes from ~$450 up to $1,200!
Seems ridiculous for something so inexpensive. If I was a few years younger and didn't have cancer and bad arthritis, I would do it myself.
Are you sure you were asking for the right job?

Unless you can mount/un-mount a tire from a wheel (not the wheel from the car), this isn't exactly a DIY job.

That said, the TPMS modules vary in cost from $15 to $45 each (or flat out discontinued in some shops, like hondapartsnow). Well, it could be cheaper if you want to only replace the battery and not the whole module... but it doesn't seem advisable.

I find it unlikely they would charge some $1000 just for labor (un-mount wheel from car, un-mount tire from wheel, un-mount old module, mount new module, mount tire back on wheel, mount wheel back on car). Or even $300 for labor. Maybe $250 for parts AND labor.

Again, are you sure you asked about the right job?

~~~~~~

On another note... 7300k for nearly 10 years. Gives me bad vibes. That is, you couldn't both drive it often and far enough. It was either tons of short trips or long trips with tons of sitting, or both. You changed the oil, but how often did you change the other fluids?

Old 11-26-2019, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Goobers
Are you sure you were asking for the right job?

Unless you can mount/un-mount a tire from a wheel (not the wheel from the car), this isn't exactly a DIY job.

That said, the TPMS modules vary in cost from $15 to $45 each (or flat out discontinued in some shops, like hondapartsnow). Well, it could be cheaper if you want to only replace the battery and not the whole module... but it doesn't seem advisable. https://youtu.be/Znwg8uZBufI

I find it unlikely they would charge some $1000 just for labor (un-mount wheel from car, un-mount tire from wheel, un-mount old module, mount new module, mount tire back on wheel, mount wheel back on car). Or even $300 for labor. Maybe $250 for parts AND labor.

Again, are you sure you asked about the right job?

~~~~~~

On another note... 7300k for nearly 10 years. Gives me bad vibes. That is, you couldn't both drive it often and far enough. It was either tons of short trips or long trips with tons of sitting, or both. You changed the oil, but how often did you change the other fluids?
Yeah, I'm asking for the 'right job'. I do know what I'm talking about on cars. I started out my working life as a mechanic in the Engine Research Lab of a petrochemical research company that sells technology to oil refiners. That company, that you've probably never heard of, essentially invented modern oil refining in the US well over a hundred years ago, and there isn't a refinery anywhere in the world that doesn't use their technology. I worked on developing the first catalyst used in exhaust gas catalytic converters. We did work for GM, Ford, Chrysler, Fiat and others, even for the Russian Lada car maker. I've worked in the Knock Test Lab running engines that rate the octane number of fuels. We were part of the National Exchange Group that still does some work manually rating fuels although most is done now by chemical. We even worked on catalytic converters for motorcycles and even some work on small, lawn mower type engines when it looked as though those might be covered. That company even sponsored a Formula One and a CanAm racing cars. The team that we sponsored doesn't exist now, but the Engine Lab did engine dyno work for them until we helped them set up their own dynamometers in their shop. I can actually say that I drove a CanAm car up and down the road at our facility, with their permission and knowledge of course. (Very loud, and quite a bit of fun! The engine was an aluminum big block Chevy at just about 500 CI displacement.)

I've rebuilt and modified more engines than I can number. We used to rebuild engines to simulate high mileage cars that burned an lot of oil to test catalyst under those conditions. After a few years I transferred over to the petrochemical pilot plant group when GM bought the Engine Lab division and moved it to Tulsa Oklahoma, and I didn't want to relocate. I worked there for over 43 years, designing and building experimental oil refining units in the pilot plant area, retiring with the title of Senior Research Engineer/Scientist.

So, yes I do know exactly what I'm asking for and know exactly what the work entails which is why I'm so surprised at the prices some places are getting for the job. I've looked at TPMS modules from Honda and other brands and the ones they make today don't have replaceable batteries. I can get ones from the Honda dealer for about $57 dollars each. The price range I mentioned is correct, and the highest one was from a shop that obviously doesn't want my business.

I also know how much work it is to de-mount a tire from the wheel, and that although it's difficult to do without a commercial tire mounting machine, it's possible to just deflate and then push one part of the tire free from the wheel, and then to remove and install a sensor. I've demounted and replaced many tires in my life, but not for quite a few years now, but I have done it without the professional machine in my younger days.

These wheels are the steel ones on the base model Fit, and there wouldn't be the problem of gouging or scratching an aluminum wheel.

I also know how low the miles are on the car and that it's best to drive it more, but my wife is getting older now also and just doesn't seem to want to drive much anymore, although she wants to keep the car. It sits in a garage, that is heated enough to keep it above 50 degrees or so, even in the winter. It's also out of the sun and rain and snow. I do drive it occasionally, and it looks and drives just like new. I occasionally start it and run it long enough to heat up to normal operating temp and keep condensation out of the engine and fuel system. I also make sure the fuel in it is not kept in there too long.

So...., long story...., but I do know what I'm talking about. Last year I was diagnosed with a rare, (and incurable), cancer that sometimes leaves me very tired but is being controlled right now with occasional chemotherapy sessions. (Not fun!)

I'll get them replaced, it's just a matter of finding a shop that I trust and that isn't trying to rip me off too badly. Actually, about $400 isn't too bad for the amount of work and I will probably have it done at a place that will do it for that amount or less.

I also may wait through the winter and see how I feel about trying it when the weather is better next spring. (I can be a stubborn old cuss!)

Old 08-14-2021, 01:51 PM
----------------------------------------------------------- UPDATE -----------------------------------------------------------
Do they replace the whole axle assembly? Yes, they do.
Will they replace the axles under the recall if you're replaced the axles already? Yes, they did in my case. I did not mention the after market axles, so it might be related to a newer tech or maybe because it's a recall and they get paid regardless, they'll replace the axles. I hope others are as lucky as I was.

My guess, based on the text convo (I can share if anyone is interested), the service advisor was being cryptic on the chance it would scare me into a $700 service. He was responding vaguely to my questions when I asked him to explain the correlation between the below picture and the wheel bearing "issue".

I requested they replace the axles and I would handle getting the car towed if necessary and I'm glad I did. I went to pickup the car and talked to the tech, he said, " there was a lot of play with the driver axle and he was worried the bearing might be compromised, too." and that's pretty much it. Once he got the axles swapped and bolted everything up, it was "good as new".

Good luck everyone.

----------------------------------------------------------- ORIGINAL POST -----------------------------------------------------------

Are they replacing the full axle assembly or literally only the shaft with the poor protective coating?

My 2007 which was deemed covered is at the stealership right now and I got a call:

Service Guy: The technician doesn't want to do the service because your driver front wheel bearing is loose.
me: Loose how exactly? I just had that, the hub and knuckle replaced last year.
Service Guy: who did the work?
me: Val's down the street. Do you have a quote for the wheel bearing
Service Douche: $700.....
me: I'm about 10 mi away, no car to get there at the moment could you please send me a picture of what you're referring to? Also, anyway you can replace the axle at least and I can get the wheel bearing serviced after? I live in the city and this would save me another 45 minute trip out there.
Service Guy: okay i'll send you a text.

Here's what they sent.....for "loose wheel bearing" am I going insane or does this seem really stupid? They sent a picture of the axle/cv joint, which is probably getting replaced by this recall...

Last edited by November; 08-18-2021 at 12:04 PM. Reason: answered my ?'s
Old 08-17-2021, 08:11 PM
When I bought my 2008 Fit, it was 1 month short of 13 years old, yet had just 127,130 kms on it, or in miles around 79,000 miles. Since buying it, my car regularly sits in the garage for 5 to 10 days without moving. Almost always I walk or ride my pedal bike to work, and for errands, light shopping etc in the summer, I ride my motorbike and use a backpack. My car has accumulated many of its kms doing 5 road trips, since I bought it, yet despite the many road trips, I will put less than an estimated 10,000 kms a year on it, which is about 6,200 miles. I do put about 5,000 to 8,000 kms combined, annually on my two motorbikes as well. If not for road trips in both car, and on my bikes, just using them for essential trips like grocery store runs, and such, I would only put on at most 500 miles per year.

Oh I should add, if weather is terrible, I drive to work.