General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Newest things car burglars are doing...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 11:20 AM
Newest things car burglars are doing...

Maybe this is old news in some parts of the country. But we just had some car burglars hit some SUV's in our neighborhood...no signs of forced entry. The police told the folks that thieves are using their smart phones or what have you to send code to the electronic keys in their houses to unlock the cars! So if your Fit isn't garaged, this is another thing to beware of. If you always store your keys in a metal box, that should thwart them...

Old 05-25-2017, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AnalogDog
Maybe this is old news in some parts of the country. But we just had some car burglars hit some SUV's in our neighborhood...no signs of forced entry. The police told the folks that thieves are using their smart phones or what have you to send code to the electronic keys in their houses to unlock the cars! So if your Fit isn't garaged, this is another thing to beware of. If you always store your keys in a metal box, that should thwart them...
ROFL Don't worry no one wants to steal your Fit, my Fit or just about anyone else's Fit. They want higher dollar cars or cars that are easy to chop for parts with quick sales. Maybe a Civic, but not a Fit

Old 05-25-2017, 01:13 PM
These weren't auto thieves; they were car burglars....stole unknown items out of these folk's cars. And even if what you maintain is correct, I still don't want any creepoes getting into MY Fit!

Old 05-25-2017, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
FWIW, my son got carjacked@ knifepoint in Knoxville this past Feb .... they stole our '05 Corolla .... guess they needed a ride really bad Car was recovered, the dude with the knife just got 8 years in the state pen. Punks will take anything they can get...any way they can

Old 05-25-2017, 09:13 PM
I would guess it's more using the cell phone to go through an unlock app setup that the car maker has. A cell phone would have no way of communicating with a key fob in the house, though I guess a specialized radio may be able to work as a range extender. It could only work for proximity entrance systems rather than ones where you have to press a button on the key fob.

In theory a car maker could completely eliminate the possibility of such an attack by only having the car respond if the key fob's response to its interrogation is received within a certain timeframe. Unless the thieves somehow managed to increase the speed of light, this would put a hard limit on how far away the fob could be and still have the door open.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member
There's always a dance between technology, designed to protect and make life easier, and thieves.
I think the first time a Cave Man rolled a heavy rock in front of a Cave Entrance, a Cave Man Thief was thinking about a "lever" to roll it away.

So there is no perfect answer, and I have no doubt thieves will find and create vulnerabilities.
I just try to pay attention to what is happening locally. If a specific crime increases? Then usually consumer counter measures become available.

If that eventually means beefing up a security system?
Then so be it.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Fuelish
FWIW, my son got carjacked@ knifepoint in Knoxville this past Feb .... they stole our '05 Corolla .... guess they needed a ride really bad Car was recovered, the dude with the knife just got 8 years in the state pen. Punks will take anything they can get...any way they can
Exactly. A Kid I went to grade school with got shot over the $20 he pulled out of the ATM. Twenty bucks. Last words? "Are you serious?" Apparently, they were...

Never assume some douchebag crook doesn't view you with the same contempt you hold for an a-hole in a canary yellow Bentley. You're a rich, flashy douchebag, as far as a meth head is concerned.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:08 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
on my dd my concern is them getting into my car to grab the garage door opener to gain access to my garage. i have some expensive tools in there, plus my hobby cars.

so i only use the security keycode opener in my dd as an extra layer of security even if the car has gentex/homelink.
on my hobby cars i use homelink since i dont park my car anywhere usually.