General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Replacing Front Shock Assembly on 2008 Fit Sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 01:07 PM
Replacing Front Shock Assembly on 2008 Fit Sport

Dear Forum,

I have a 2008 Fit Sport with 197k that just ripped through the protective boot around the front-right strut. The steering knuckle has some grease on it now and the strut hydrolic piston is exposed to the elements so I am considering doing the replacement. I'm not sure how the ripped boot will affect performance but it seems like every bump makes a clunk now. Maybe it's all in my head...

I'm curious to see if others are starting to have suspension issues. I guess 200k is a lot of bumps and bruises for a suspension to take. How are your fits holding up?

Anyway, any advice for the job? I am contemplating replacing both front shock/strut assemblies but I do have some questions:

1. Is the ripped boot a big deal? Should I even bother?

2. Do you generally replace the strut and the spring, or could I reuse the springs? Or just replace the boot? I'm new to suspension-land.

3. Any advice on sourcing parts? I was hoping to just get complete assemblies that include the strut, spring, boots, etc but I can only seem to find that option for the 2009-2014 model year. Any chance the part is the same? Wishful thinking? I just really like doing a complete assembly because there is less chance that I'll mess it up.

Thanks!

Old 09-23-2017, 12:16 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
you referring to the dust boot? if so, yah, it's good to have it to protect the shaft from debris hitting it. but you can also salvage your boot by using duct tape. ive done this in the past on some aftermarket coilover using black duct tape and it worked fine for like over 20k miles. lol

check out the suspension forum on this site where we talk about lowering and changing springs on the car. there should be a DIY there. it's actually real easy to do a strut swap on this car as there's only a few fasteners to remove. id just swap the struts unless your springs are super rusted or sagging.

just make sure you dont dangle the front knuckle after loosening the strut as the cv joint can come apart. i support the knuckle with my hydraulic jack but your scissors jack will work, even a box.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
Ripped dust boot won't affect what the strut does. Many are driving around without them.
The bump stop is more important IMO as that is what keeps the strut from bottoming out on large bumps. If that's split or missing that could be a source of noise.

I wouldn't replace just a torn dust boot unless you really wish to go to the expense of having them replaced in a shop, OR you want to dive in and DIY it.
Tape it up as suggested?
I'd just wait til the struts actually have a real problem (weak/soft/bounce/leakage) that would require strut replacement or disassembly.