3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Strut Assembly Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
Strut Assembly Replacement

All, I was just informed by my dealership that the front driver's side strut assembly needs to be replaced on my 2016 Fit EX. I had been hearing a 'knocking' noise from the strut area for quite some time. Luckily, it's covered under the car's original warranty, however, they're only going to replace the driver's side front strut assembly...not the passenger side too. The car was purchased early this year but has 20k miles. Has anyone experienced this issue? The dealership said they're replacing a lot of strut assemblies in '16 Fits. I'm concerned that they're not replacing the passenger's side too. Anyone run into this problem? Thanks!

Old 11-29-2016, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
Warranty only covers replacing the bad part.

Would YOU like to pay for replacing the strut that is not bad?

Old 11-30-2016, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
I've seen a handful of posts where members have had their strut assemblies replaced under warranty. Knock on wood, mine has been fine and I'm coming up on the end of my warranty.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
I had the SAME exact issue for a few months. I finally scheduled time to have it checked out and upon a test drive w/ the service rep it was easily reproduced. They replaced the top hat of the strut on the drivers side and that supposedly fixed the issue. It was annoying as hell and I'm so glad it's gone. It was a clunking/knocking noise anytime I was driving under 40mph and it sounded like you were going over a speed bump. Additionally, I could feel the vibration in the foot rest and steering wheel.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:09 AM
Yes, I had the same issue with my 2015 lx. They replaced the full strut assembly on one side, then about 6 months later they also had to replace the other side. This was this year. My car has about 25,000 miles all in the Southeast US. Additionally, after getting one of the senior techs alone for a quick drive I was able to find out that there( at least for the 2015's ) there are issues with where the rear "cradle" meets the lower control arm meets some other structural member( names might be wrong, basically where the rear bolt has all of these major members come together ) it sounded like they spot welded one of the members insufficiently so during some driving conditions there is a twisting motion that also makes a clunking sound. He also mentioned it is not something easily identified by the eyeball( there are no telltale signs of movement like scuffing, shine, etc. ) it was only when they replaced both struts and the sound remained that they just replace the offending member. It sounded like it was isolated to a single assembly facility, but that Honda main was keeping an eye for trends. That's all I know FWIW.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:34 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JesseFromCincy
All, I was just informed by my dealership that the front driver's side strut assembly needs to be replaced on my 2016 Fit EX. I had been hearing a 'knocking' noise from the strut area for quite some time. Luckily, it's covered under the car's original warranty, however, they're only going to replace the driver's side front strut assembly...not the passenger side too. The car was purchased early this year but has 20k miles. Has anyone experienced this issue? The dealership said they're replacing a lot of strut assemblies in '16 Fits. I'm concerned that they're not replacing the passenger's side too. Anyone run into this problem? Thanks!
not on da fit but on a civic i bought new i had to get one of the front struts replaced and da motor mount. it only had like 500miles on da odo.

most struts under normal use can run 50k miles without issue. so i wouldnt worry too much. plus, those aren't difficult to replace so id look for folks selling their oem ones when dey swap to coilovers, etc. when ur warranty expires.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
27,000 miles over the pothole strewn pavement that passes for roads up here and no problems so far (2015 EX). I'll probably run the warranty out next spring/summer (2 years).

Old 12-08-2016, 05:00 PM
I had the front passenger strut on mine do the same, to the point where it felt unsafe.

The replaced it, and 15,000 miles later it started doing it again.
They would not replace it again (I was within warranty, near the end), but instead "tightened" everything, which reduced the noise, but didn't eliminate it.

Now out of warranty, both front struts are rattling around.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
We bought our '15 LX CPO, with 40000 mi on the odo, struts are fine, here.....but, dunno if previous owner may have had one or both replaced previously. Have had none of the problems others have had with their GKs, perhaps previous owner had all of that taken care of under warranty before trading in?? Dunno. He took good care of it, though, it seems, the car is immaculate, especially considering the guy is supposedly a bassist.....LOL

Old 12-09-2016, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
Thank You

Thanks for everyones' input. I decided to replace the passenger side strut as well (not covered under warranty). Waiting for it to come in and will have them replaced. The noise continues to get worse but was told it's not a safety concern. I will share an update once both have been replaced and let everyone know if the noise persists.

My Fit was made in Japan but it looks like the struts themselves were made in Mexico. If I'm remembering correctly, 2016 Fits are manufactured in Japan but 2015 was Mexico. If it's happening on both years models it makes me wonder if the same strut is being used or same defective manufacturing process. My Fit was one of the newer 2016's so maybe they identified and corrected the issue.

Sort of a bummer when you buy a new car and have issues in the same year.

By the way, my dealership insisted I just replace one strut. From everything I read online, at 20k miles it's smart to replace both.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
I've been getting these sounds as well when driving over certain bumps at speeds under 60km/hr. I am not hearing the sounds anymore (78k kms on odo). So fingers crossed.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
I experienced the same clunking in the front end while I was dropped on Swift springs on stock struts. It was so annoying that I have since changed back to the stock springs in an effort to try to narrow down the origin of the sound. The clunking returned after awhile. I then jacked up the front end and got under there and started torquing everything down to 65-75 ft lbs. I have the Savanini rigid collars and a Megan front subframe brace. No more clunking!! I used to think it was the top strut mount nuts too because that is the perceived feeling of where the clunking is coming from but just don't torque them down too hard or it will round out fairly easily in my experience.

Old 01-05-2020, 03:31 PM
Mine is a 2016 with 37K, the front end clunks and drives me f'ing nuts. But the dealer I bought it from says it's "normal" for the Honda Fit, so I will be replacing the struts, bearings, mounts, with KYB. And I left them a crappy review, because they seem to not care, and it is a major Honda dealership in Auburn, MA. Never again will I buy from them, NO THANKS.

Old 01-07-2020, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
I also have a clunky noise. I was told that it was the inner guards flopping around since my bottom cover has gone missing.