General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Type of gas u use & gas mileage....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
Damn you are becoming an abrasive old fart... You're going to be comical as hell when you are really old...

Old 02-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
That is one data set, pertaining to one car, one driver and less than controlled circumstances.

We cant account for idle time, driving habits, etc.

Just increasing timing without changing the fueling schema will only increase torque for the same fuel mass consumed.

We also don't know how often he goes WOT, etc.

As usual its anecdotal, and even during delivery driving, the thing that should stand out to you were you being open minded on the matter, is even in those conditions he maintains that average ~0.5mpg increase ACROSS THE BOARD.

Also note, his lowest return on regular, is lower than that of the lowest return on premium. Premium's best average is also higher than regular's peak return. Whats the common denominator there Steve?

I'm not going to put words in his mouth, but a delivery drivers (I was one for 5 years myself) habits of operation and demands on the car are going to be a bit different than that of a hypermiler who could take advantage of that fuel with a different driving style.

Even then, Goobers spreadsheet is one dataset, from an admittedly often "spirited" driver

Not that I blame him, with the Swifts and RPF1s on a 5MT hes got a fun GE haha

I am also an avid premium user, and my commute is somewhat demanding. Lately I see anywhere from 160-190miles/5.x gallons, but I have returned 24x miles on 5.x gallons on more than a few of my out of state excursions when driving with economy in mind as well and posted pictures to that effect at least once.(you posted in that thread too, IIRC)

Not to mention my best-ever tank (~44.x mpg) was when I dumped in the remainder of some VP C16 (116oct race fuel) in the tank on a 400mile return trip from the cabin loaded down with people, gear, the A/C on and cruising (closed loop operation) at 75mph the whole way in a 5MT sport with the short final gear.

How you drive that car and where, is just as important as the fuel (in most cases more so), lets not take this to absurd absolutes shall we?
You use peoples posts that agree with you but when its some one saying it doesn't make a difference to them there are to many variables and that persons findings are wrong. You are hypocrite. On average I get around 340 miles on a tank of fuel. My car has a 9.32 gallon tank by doing simple math I average around 36-37 MPG on 87 octane. But what do I know I cant possibly divide 332 by 9.32.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:47 PM
You have a 10.8 gallon tank.

Re-math.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Damn you are becoming an abrasive old fart... You're going to be comical as hell when you are really old...
I have my days, and I'm learning from the best Dee

Honestly think it was the domestic V8 guys that turned me into a more cynical asshole.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Well I consider you to be a rather open minded and curious cynic... My son was very cynical but I don't know where he got it.. He has become a little less that way since he's become a father... I can't see how anyone can not be cynical unless they are in a state of constant denial... A few punches to the head and you won't remember how to put on your clothes much less be a cynic.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
That snap shot of a datalog showing knock counts even in favorable conditions I posted from a GD3 was with 93.

Let the windbag further discredit himself, it will only provide me with some much needed schadenfreude.
I seen those snap shots and it proves there is a difference in fuels and that there is still knock past the 1500 rpm mark and you can also see that ORI is also present but its still running 14.7. I appreciated that you shared that and its the exact same thing I seen on my ultra gauge.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Easy way to test this is to drive with the higher octane fuel on the same route you usually drive and see if it works.

I drive from Nevada to California ( 225 miles one way ) and back usually within a few days, so I am going to give it a try.

I will post my results after my next trip. What can it hurt to see if this may increase my fuel mileage ! ! ! ! !

Let the results do the talking .................................................. ..

Old 02-04-2013, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
What are you getting now?

Old 02-04-2013, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
Been using Shell V-power ever since. I don't really calculate my kms/liter but the most I've gotten out of a really full tank was around 580ish kms, and that's shifting around 2300-2500rpm.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
I like BP and Shell V-power. BP gives me more low end torque and Shell likes the rpm's around 3500 Vtec engagement. BP gives me about 20 more miles compared to Shell but I think that is because Shell uses Ethanol and BP uses Butanol or ether's.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by B Fit
Easy way to test this is to drive with the higher octane fuel on the same route you usually drive and see if it works.

I drive from Nevada to California ( 225 miles one way ) and back usually within a few days, so I am going to give it a try.

I will post my results after my next trip. What can it hurt to see if this may increase my fuel mileage ! ! ! ! !

Let the results do the talking .................................................. ..
Not a accurate test, I drive to and from Vegas quiet often and wind and road condition vary so much it's not possible to come up with a accurate result because no 2 trips will be the same. Also gas milage going and coming back are also entirely different. I've been on a trip avg 36.6 going and 33 coming back to about 35 going and 37.5 back all using the same fuel. Weather, wind direction, traffic and temps all play a huge part.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=B Fit;1161593]Easy way to test this is to drive with the higher octane fuel on the same route you usually drive and see if it works.

Let the results do the talking .................................................. ..[/Q

Mini Odyseey is right.

Last edited by FZ427; 02-07-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:06 AM
Most of the time, the road and weather conditions are the same.

Drive the same speed and make stops in the same places; just check it always going in the same direction ..................... look at the results for yourself on your own car . . . . . . . . .

Old 02-23-2013, 04:27 AM
Hey not to bash on anyone or make them feel sad but it's a Honda Fit.... There is no power in these cars they were designed for one thing basic, cheap transportation. I personally can't see 91 Octane doing any improvement to this car or MPG. It all comes down to LOD and how much input and effort you are putting into the accelerator. Considering the entire thing is electronic and no cable the CPU does everything.

The Funny part is that my 08 Triumph Daytona 675 put more power to the ground then my car. RWHP is 106 on my bike

I find that HP means nothing and TQ is king but if you drive the speedlimit and like a normal easy going driver having tons of power is total waste anyways.. Average speed in my area for my drive that I do 6 days a week is 45mph for posted speed limits.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
@Logans07Fitty.. Driving at the speeds you do, I can see why you wouldn't benefit from using higher octane fuel.. Like you said, the CPU (ECU) controls everything which includes adjusting ignition timing to provide more advance with high octane fuel... Even with 93 octane there will be no noticeable difference in performance or fuel mileage unless you are doing a lot of stop and go driving in a fast moving urban environment, hilly terrain or at speeds over 85MPH, all of which is common where I drive... If I had to drive at no more than 45 MPH in a stock Fit I would probably use the lowest grade of fuel that Honda advises to use... I appreciate torque also and find that there is more of it at lower revs with high octane fuel.... I have been eyeballing the Triumph Speed Triple R but at my age and having owned many old British bikes from the 60s, I can't help but find the Bonneville Thruxton tugging at my heartstrings...

Old 02-25-2013, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
@Logans07Fitty.. Driving at the speeds you do, I can see why you wouldn't benefit from using higher octane fuel.. Like you said, the CPU (ECU) controls everything which includes adjusting ignition timing to provide more advance with high octane fuel... Even with 93 octane there will be no noticeable difference in performance or fuel mileage unless you are doing a lot of stop and go driving in a fast moving urban environment, hilly terrain or at speeds over 85MPH, all of which is common where I drive... If I had to drive at no more than 45 MPH in a stock Fit I would probably use the lowest grade of fuel that Honda advises to use... I appreciate torque also and find that there is more of it at lower revs with high octane fuel.... I have been eyeballing the Triumph Speed Triple R but at my age and having owned many old British bikes from the 60s, I can't help but find the Bonneville Thruxton tugging at my heartstrings...
--- Not trying to stir the pot; but how does driving at a faster speed have anything to do with higher octane? This car was built for 87 octane running 91 might gain slight MPG but the offset in price of fuel nullifies it.

Even my Triumph 675 can run on 87 Octane but with the Tune I have with my Arrow Exhaust I have to run 91. I'm only 27 but I would rock Bonne any day

Old 02-25-2013, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
The fuel argument has been argued here for years and gets heated at times because of what the owners manual says about what fuel to use.. 87 octane isn't recommended but they state that using fuel with less than 87 octane will damage your engine.. It is the absolute lowest octane fuel the car will run on .. When there is any type of load on your engine the engine control unit (ECU) pulls back on the ignition timing to prevent detonation much more and sooner with a lighter load and using 87 octane fuel than it would
using fuel with a higher octane rating that would allow more degrees of ignition timing advance... Lower octane fuel causes the fuel to ignite and reach optimal combustion pressure after the the piston has moved past the combustion angle point where optimal power and efficiency is achieved... I have always gotten better fuel mileage at high speed, driving in heavy traffic, into headwinds and over hilly terrain with 93 octane opposed to fuel with lower octane.. A scan gauge will give you a read out of numerous things that the engine does that affects your fuel mileage and performance including the ignition timing advance and how it is affected by high intake sensor and ambient temperature, load on the engine, hills throttle position and the octane rating of the fuel you are using... Bottom line, your ECU pulling back ignition advance isn't as extreme when using higher octane fuel so you get better fuel mileage at higher speeds and the other conditions mentioned using it than when using the lower octane fuel... Unless you drive your Fit fast quite often the ECU will not adapt and advance the ignition timing any more than it is when using 87 octane... The area you drive in wouldn't allow you to benefit much if any noticeable changes by using 93 octane but where I am it is a benefit to me.. Actually I absolutely must use it since doing numerous performance enhancing modifications... What all I have said is in reference to using the different octane rated fuels in a car before going crazy and creating a little monster... I have a medical appointment 100 miles away in the morning.... I'm hoping to sweet talk my wife into driving to a Triumph dealership near Ft Hood so can see about taking a test ride....When I was your age I had a BSA Lightening and a 441 Victor.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 02-25-2013 at 02:08 AM.