General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit Buying Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 10:10 AM
Fit Buying Advice?

Hello,
If things go as planned, I'll probably be buying a Honda Fit for my daughter sometime in the April-May timeframe. I want:
- Low Mileage (less than ~50K)
- Recent year (2012+)
She needs an Automatic Transmission, and I would like the car to have ABS brakes. It looks like I see the most features in the EX models, with stuff like backup cameras/navigation on those.

With that said, I'm generally a self-maintainer on all my cars. The only things I typically wouldn't do are major engine work (valves, block, rebuilds) or transmission work (rebuilds). Rather than joining the forum _after_ buying the car (my previous M.O.), I decided to get ahead on this one to try to avoid surprises. I'm generally looking for any advice on what we should be expecting as first-time Fit owners.

What are the common problems we should look for when shopping for a late 2nd Gen or early 3rd Gen Fit?
Are there any noteworthy recalls or TSBs?
We are in Central Texas - it is hot most of the time - How do these cars handle the heat?
Any comments on the Honda dealer network in Austin or surrounding areas?

Thanks!

Old 01-20-2018, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
No specific answers to your question regarding local advice, but I just want to reassure you that if you buy from a private owner who can show you all maintenance records AND after you have taken it to your private mechanic for a $100 visual inspection, you will be buying one of the only near bulletproof cars ever made, especially the first and second generations. I can't testify to the Mexican assembled third generation Fits, nor to the reliability of the subcontracted parts suppliers for that generation.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
James the Fit will be a good fit for your daughter. The only notable TSB I am aware of is for the airbag. Make sure that one has been done or get it done asap after you buy one.

My son recently bought a CPO 2015 Fit. It was a lease return & cam with a complete set of records. The EX has all the bells & whistles your daughter could want.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:08 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
for a second i thought your fit's name was james. lol

wat ash said.