General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Buying a used Fit

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 03:16 AM
Buying a used Fit

Hi there,

I've been on the search for a Fit that fits my price range (ideally below $6K). I just recently saw one listed on Craigslist for $5K. It's a 2007 4 cylinder V-Tech with 117,000 miles. Seller included in the description that all maintenance and service has been done on time and that it is in excellent condition.

Thoughts? What are some questions I should be asking? What kinds of problems am I expected to encounter with a car that 11 years old and has this amount of miles?

Thank you!

Old 07-09-2018, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
I just bought a 2011, and in our market (Texas) pricing around $5-6k would get you a nice 2009-2010, you have to be patient, though. Craigslist is full of salvage, rebuilt cars and unscrupulous sellers. Definitely run a CarFax to check the history before you go to look at a car that you have interest in buying. It won't guarantee that the car hasn't had a collision repair, but it will show title issues.

Regarding maintenance, if the transmission fluid has been changed a couple of times (30-40k mile intervals) you should be good there, and oil changes with the maintenance minder, which is approx every 8k miles. Of course anyone can say anything, proof is in records, if the seller has that, or sometimes it will show on CarFax if they have had those services done at a shop that reports, such as the Honda dealer.

At 117k, if no suspension work has been done, the shocks and struts are usually completely worn out, and you'll feel a bang over bumps and bad pavement. Expect to have to replace them if it hasn't been done. Listen for any clunks in the front end when going over bumps, parking lot or driveway entrances, etc. Sway bar bushings and end links are typically worn out and can cause this clunking noise - the fix is inexpensive. If it wanders or drifts, or steering wheel shimmies a bit, tie rod outer ends should be checked (inexpensive fix).

Check the oil on the dipstick - it will probably be clean, but make sure it doesn't have a milky color which would indicate a head gasket leak. This would be uncommon on the Fit, but good to check anyway. If the car is cold when you go to look at it, before you drive, take the radiator cap off and check for the same - if it is crusty and milky looking, oil has contaminated the coolant from head gasket issues. Again, this would be rare on the Fit, but a car to avoid if there is evidence. Since there is no temperature gauge on the dash, there is no way to check temperature on a test drive, either, unless a warning light comes on.

This is a quick list, not everything - you can hire a service to do a pre-purchase inspection for about $150, if you're not mechanically inclined it can be well worth the money.

Overall the Fit is a very reliable and durable car, there aren't many major things that are to be avoided like some brands/models, so as long as the routine maintenance has been kept up with, and it hasn't been in a major collision, it is hard to go wrong. Expect to have to sort some things, though, as with any purchase of a car of this mileage.

Last edited by Alfa38; 07-09-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
A perfect post Alfa38. I shopped for months in two states before finding our used '13 Fit with an immaculate CarFax located at a small used car Dealer. It's been a fine choice.

Upon checking the dipstick I found that the Dealer had overfilled the crankcase by a quart (!), but it hadn't been driven since the oil change and upon arriving home, I withdrew the excess.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
I've never owned (or driven) a first-gen Fit, but from those I've talked to, second-gen is the way to go. I think you could find an 09 for 6K with some patience, as well.

Of course, as the owner of a 2012, I'm biased!

Old 07-09-2018, 04:02 PM
Thank you so much everyone!