Very shallow scrapes in paint surface.. fixable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Very shallow scrapes in paint surface.. fixable?

K, this is really sad. I've been ignoring it for a long time, but i lightly scraped the paint on my roof a long time ago, when it had snowed a lot and the snow had solidified onto the car, I used a plastic scrapey thing to scrape the snow off the roof.. DUMB IDEA So I have a few lines just lightly scraped into the paint. It's not INTO the paint, but rather just the clear surface. It's like the outer layer and it's kind of almost plastic-y....

Anyway is this fixable? Can I just wax it and it'll be "buffed out"? I don't know, my last car had a horrible paint job full of scrapes n shit that I never worried about.

It's not even that bad, but it kind of bugs me, it's a ****ing 4 month old car... and I already got these scrapes in it... so frustrating

Old 05-08-2008, 07:48 PM
BTW I could take some high-res photos of those scrapes in the daylight if that gives a better idea of how "fix"-able the scrapes are. Ahh it just looks so stupid.. car looks SO NICE otherwise! :P

Old 05-08-2008, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
try the wax and buffing and mothers scratch remover.
It may or may not help. but its definitly worth the risk

Old 05-08-2008, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member

Try some of this. It's not like wax where you simply put it on and take it off, you have to use some elbow grease (pressure) and push it into the scratch marks. It worked extremely well for me on clearcoat scratches. I just took off my front license plate and there are some scratches where the plate frame was, so I'm gonna use some of this on there to try to get it out. Good luck.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:19 PM
If it's not into the paint, most of the stuff you buy from Canadian Tire or Lordco will not get it out depending on the depth of the scratch because they are not a rough form of cut polish unless if you go into the commercial grade Meguairs products.

You'll need to cut polish it out.

Depending on the depth of the scratch, you might need to wet sand it, medium cut polish, light cut polish, glaze polish and then a coat of wax to protect the paint.

Idealy, you would need a dual action buffer with different pads to get it off. If you don't live that far from me, I'll try to take a look at it one day at the next meet or when I get back from China and see if I can get it off.

Dickson

Old 05-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Damn, yeah, that's what my buddy in Victoria was saying.. "cut polish"..

Indeed, they're very shallow scrapes, only into the clearcoat and not even remotely into the paint.

Alright, I may just take you up on that, I'm in Surrey but I work in downtown Van.... but yeah I need a good excuse to go to the meets anyways, so that would work just fine... haha

Super Mario, the Scratch X stuff, was that on scratches that were JUST in the clearcoat and no deeper?

Thanks BTW to all for the tips/suggestions.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by necro2600
Damn, yeah, that's what my buddy in Victoria was saying.. "cut polish"..

Indeed, they're very shallow scrapes, only into the clearcoat and not even remotely into the paint.

Alright, I may just take you up on that, I'm in Surrey but I work in downtown Van.... but yeah I need a good excuse to go to the meets anyways, so that would work just fine... haha

Super Mario, the Scratch X stuff, was that on scratches that were JUST in the clearcoat and no deeper?

Thanks BTW to all for the tips/suggestions.
Not a problem.

The scratch X is actually a stronger form of polish which is almost like a fine grade cut polish, if it's really really light, then it'll come out, if it's too deep then you'll need to cut polish it still.

The difference between the Scratch X and cut polish is that the Scratch X has a little bit of synthetic wax in it, which protects and takes out light scratches at the same time. (basically, it shines and protects your car in one step instead of the 3-5 steps I mentioned earlier)

Dickson