Honda Fit Dealer Representatives Interact with local Honda dealer representatives for news, availability and purchase information.

Dealer inventories

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Dealer inventories

A few questions (for you Reps especially):

1. Are the Fits still stacking up by the 20s on most dealer lots? Or have most places ordered less and less?

2. Why do most dealers' websites never reflect the exact inventory that is on the lot? Is it because they want you to think that they have a wide selection or just because they are unable to update this accurately?

3. Some dealers install a lot of (unnecessary) options. Does this really drive the dealer cost up (so they can negotiate that their MSRP is worth it) or does this really not factor in to price at all? For example, if I wanted to negotiate the Fit for invoice price, is this impossible since the dealer has installed options?

Old 05-13-2009, 01:48 PM
I have found it is best to tell them you are not interested in the options and therefore not willing to pay for them. If they say, their are none without options and they want the sale you will be able to get them for little to no cost.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
That's what happened the last time I visited a dealership, the salesman scribbled down what was written on the showroom Fit's pricetag and claimed that all their Fits were all loaded with the same options, many of which I did not want such as windows being already tinted, floor mats for $500, and the useless (to me) cargo cover. The 35% tint wasn't as dark as what I would have got (for cheaper) at a shop, and I wanted the all-season floor mats, not the crappy carpet ones. Basically, it was already more "modified" than I wanted.

I did get him down to near what invoice would have come out to for OTD price, but the deal just seemed so fubar (especially since they quoted me $500 below invoice in the first place) and they didn't have the color I wanted so I walked out.

Short of ordering directly from Honda, how can you request a Fit unaltered, like hot off the truck, from a dealership without paying it on their terms (i.e. you can't negotiate anymore)? Or do they not do this?

Last edited by Vanct; 05-13-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
I got lucky enough to find mine the first day off the truck before they had prepped it. I think it pretty much comes down to that or finding a better dealer who has some stock.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:58 AM
5 Year Member
I bought mine with nothing pre-installed (although I did buy a couple of things with the deal). Of course, our local dealer is pretty good about that. They do price out their cars with "auto armor" rustproofing, but you don't have to buy it, as it's not done until the car is sold. The hard thing was finding a Fit Sport MT. Those are scarcer than rocking horse poop! I just lucked out on that, I guess.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Some dealers are just sleezy. When I bought my truck I sat down with one salesman and he said the best he could do was blah blah blah, which happened to be about $2k over MSRP. Needless to say, I laughed at him and walked out.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
i'm a dealer rep in texas, as soon as the cars come off the truck they go through our pre-delivery inspection and that's when most of the dealer added options are put on. in my dealership's case, it's a pinstripe, wheel locks, cargo mat, tint, and door edge guards. the reason that the internet price is quoted below invoice is that they plan on making up that money with the dealer added options. if you are willing to help them cover the cost of the options, than you can negotiate on the price of those add-ons. I just bought mine and grabbed it as soon as it came off the truck, but the car is already charged to the dealership with the options added on. so, even working here i still had to pay invoice for it plus about $300. I hated the pinstripe, so i basically paid them to keep it off.

bottom line, yes, all dealers put them on, unless you can magically grab it as it's coming off the truck, then you can ask them to put it on or not, but you'll prob still have to pay a part of that cost. if you offer invoice plus about 300, my guess would be they'd make the deal everytime. if you're stubborn enough, you can prob get it for invoice, but it's just easier to tell them what you'll do and make it a quicker deal.

if you're in the dfw area, come see me up at david mcdavid frisco, we have ordered extra fits right now for the summer rush. ask for justin if you come in before june 1, after that, send me a pm and i'll set you up with one of my friends, i'll be moving to florida.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:58 PM
thats just sleazy for dealers to do that in this economy.

Fit do move off the lot pretty quick but adding junk otpion is lame..

just find a fit that has no option n go through internet sales people. they're easy to negotiate.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
"bottom line, yes, all dealers put them on, unless you can magically grab it as it's coming off the truck, then you can ask them to put it on or not..."

Most assuredly, ALL dealers DO NOT load the cars up with all the crap they can. The dealer where I bought mine didn't, but then, they don't claim to sell "below invoice", either.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
Now the destination charge has gone up, anyone know why? Would it have to do with gas prices?

Old 06-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by Vanct
Now the destination charge has gone up, anyone know why? Would it have to do with gas prices?
The destination charge has been $710 since I started looking at Fits a couple months ago.
Has it gone up (it still says $710 on honda's website)
Or was it less before?

Old 06-29-2009, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
It was $670 not too long ago. It seems like the Fit's price keeps getting bumped up in small increments, there was a ~$200 increase 5-6 months ago. I hope it doesn't go up too much more.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Know that you say that, I think I do remember seeing it at $670.
I need to buy my Fit ASAP!