Honda Fit Dealer Reviews Here is your chance to vent bad experiences with your local dealer or praise them for exceptional service! Please include the Dealer name, City, State and Country in the Title of your post. Help fellow FitFreaks find good dealers and avoid bad ones.

So should I pester the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 07:53 AM
So should I pester the dealer?

I put a deposit down to secure a basic Fit in storm silver metallic on Memorial Day. They've already cashed the check (1K). I was told it would be a 'few weeks' until the car came in. When I was last at the dealer, I filled out the application for financing and the form to secure the car. They said there was more paperwork to do, but I could do it at a later date. I called my sales guy yesterday to see if I should come in and do that...but he of course was 'with a customer.' I left my number, he never called back (surprise surprise). I have this sinking feeling this is going to keep happening. Because the Fit is so in demand, do I have to pester them just to make sure I get my car when it's finally in stock? Could they end up pulling a fast one on me? Thanks for your advice.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:08 AM
Exclamation

My "first" dealer gave me almost the exact same run around. I left and went else where.
Within days of your deposit I would require the dealer supply a build date and a more percise delivery window!!!

Old 06-06-2006, 08:14 AM
I don't understand why they would cash your check and not give you anymore info? My dealer took my check of $500 but they will not cash it... they just needed to secure the contract. But, I would stop talking to the sales guy and talk to the manager.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:36 AM
Talking Dealer Woes

Better half has been looking at these for weeks. I liked it too, she finally got to test drive one, and it FIT lol ( she is 6 ft 0 in, with a 36 inch inseam) so she came home to talk about it and the dealer she went to had a blue one non sport. I called around and found a dealer who "said" he had a BOM Sport Auto that "just got built today" and if we wanted it, we could put down 500 on our credit card. I did and he said it would be at the dealer in 10 days 2 weeks tops. Guess what? Surprise, 2 weeks came and went and no call from them on status or anything. I called and spoke with the internet sales guy who I spoke with before and he told me that Honda had pushed back production dates and our car was built and could take 10 more days. I called back to speak with a manager. He said he would have the salesman call the next tuesday (after Memorial day) and give us an update. Guess what? No one called. We needed a car that week as the car I drive to work in KC (I live in Iowa and commute to KC for the workweek when I don't travel) needed some serious attention, and I had planned to take her mazda when she got the new Fit. We called the manager back, he took the salesguy off the commision for the car and is personally handling us. He gave a us a loaner from service until our Fit comes in, and will call every two days whether he knows something or not.
Advice to those buying a Fit to avoid pitching a Fit lol.
1. Use a credit card for deposit. Getting a check back can suck and they often cash it, making it even harder to get your money back if you feel you can do business elsewhere. Also, if you complain to the Credit card company, they can actually suspend the dealers ability to accept the card if enough complaints are logged. The car sales people are not really affected by this, but the parts and service departments will have a public sacrifice in front of the dealer that they could sell tickets to.
2. Get the deal in writing. Specify EXACTLY what you do want and don't want on the car. You can get many of the accessories listed by honda at other dealers that buy the popular ones in quantity see http://handaaccessories.com/fit07.html for many good deals.
3. Be realistic in your expectations on delivery, ask for updates and specifically if you are financing, get a VIN # as soon as you can. That tells you the car was built, and they can track it from there.
4. THis may be the most affordable car from Honda in years, that does not give them the right to treat you like trailer trash. Yes they can sell that car in 15 minutes after you cancel the order cause they P**sed you off. but I like what my grampa told me long ago "If you like the way someone does business with you, tell everyone you know. If you don't like how they do business with you, TELL EVERYONE!"
I called Honda Auto Cars Corporate and complained. That helped get them off their high horse http://automobiles.honda.com/info/cu..._relations.asp

More in the saga of the BOM Sport as news develops.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:17 AM
Master FitFreaker
Originally Posted by oOo LinDa
I don't understand why they would cash your check and not give you anymore info? My dealer took my check of $500 but they will not cash it... they just needed to secure the contract. But, I would stop talking to the sales guy and talk to the manager.
yea that talking to the manager is the way to go man

Old 06-07-2006, 03:13 AM
Throw a fit (temper, not the car).

Squeeky wheel gets the oil.

Old 06-07-2006, 06:20 AM
Originally Posted by dotseurat
I put a deposit down to secure a basic Fit in storm silver metallic on Memorial Day. They've already cashed the check (1K). I was told it would be a 'few weeks' until the car came in. When I was last at the dealer, I filled out the application for financing and the form to secure the car. They said there was more paperwork to do, but I could do it at a later date. I called my sales guy yesterday to see if I should come in and do that...but he of course was 'with a customer.' I left my number, he never called back (surprise surprise). I have this sinking feeling this is going to keep happening. Because the Fit is so in demand, do I have to pester them just to make sure I get my car when it's finally in stock? Could they end up pulling a fast one on me? Thanks for your advice.
Why wouldnt the dealership cash your deposit? Did you get a receipt? Sales people are human too, give him a call.

As far as doing the credit app., its kinda like getting pre-qualified for a home. The other paperwork that you guys will be doing later is probably all the contracting paperwork, they can only start that once they get the VIN for the particular car you are buying.

Everything seems to be ok.

Last edited by slipper; 06-07-2006 at 06:24 AM.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:07 AM
I can't believe they cashed your check. I put a deposit down a month before my car came in, but when I went to sign the paperwork my check was there uncashed. I would definitely speak to the manager and if that does get you anywhere, call AND email Honda. They are very concerned about customer satisfaction.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:43 PM
u can get you money back anytime before u pick up the car, that's what the finance manager tells me

Old 06-07-2006, 02:16 PM
I went through a similar instance with a local dealer and ended up finding the Fit I wanted on my own from another dealer. I did have to pester the Dealer to get my deposit back but that's another story. Your Dealer should have a list of vehicles that are being shipped to them over the next several weeks. Ask them to show you where your vehicle is on the list and get the VIN. If they can't provide you with at least that - you should demand your deposit back and start looking else where. Try using the "request a quote" option on the honda web-site - that's how I found mine! You can build your Fit and send the specifics to as many Dealers as you want. It's also a good way to see if you're getting the best price out there! Good luck!

Old 06-07-2006, 03:48 PM
So I spoke to the inventory guy...

at least that's who he says he is. He told me that it looks like the silver Fit will be coming off of the "pre-assigned" list sometime this week or next. Then after that, he says it takes 30 days for the car to come in. Um...does anyone here know what pre-assigned means? I told him it was going over my head and he said "Well that's because this is information we normally don't give people." Ooooh smooth you are. They make me ill. So he said he does not have a VIN number for the car. Do you think I should call at the end of this week or beginning of next and simply request the VIN number?

Ugh I really can't believe they cashed the check. Do you think I should call them out on it? I did get a receipt that day. Ugh I have a bad feeling about this.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:02 PM
make them write down *everything* on paper.

And until you get a definate delivery date, call them every single day, that's what I'm going to do. If the dealer's close, visit the actuall dealership instead of calling them. Make them want to get you your car so you'll get out of their hair

Old 06-07-2006, 08:07 PM
[edit]: oops, double post

Last edited by triggerzer0; 06-07-2006 at 08:11 PM.