Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Electric School Buses Are More Affordable Than You Think

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 01:27 PM
Electric School Buses Are More Affordable Than You Think

Feel like I'm being a big hog here! Sorry

This content is brought to you by The Lion Electric Company.

The prognosis is clear: we can no longer ignore the impact of heavy-duty vehicle emissions on our health and environment. In fact, 30 percent of greenhouse gas emissions in the United States are related to transportation. That means that switching to zero-emission alternatives should be, more and more, a common-sense decision. Right?

School Transportation News - continues

Old 04-02-2019, 03:54 PM
The yellow buses are now "green!"

I wonder what kind of range can be expected. Enough for one day around town, but how about field trips and such? Kids riding on e-buses will never get to experience the diesel fumes as they waft in through the windows and holes in the floorboard.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by marmaladedad
The yellow buses are now "green!"

I wonder what kind of range can be expected. Enough for one day around town, but how about field trips and such? Kids riding on e-buses will never get to experience the diesel fumes as they waft in through the windows and holes in the floorboard.
Man I remember the days of fumes coming into the cab! You always was aware of which direction the wind was blowing, as that would tell you how much you were getting.

What I like about the article was the last part. The potential of having the batteries online for working the energy storage option. It would seem that the power company would want to fast track this with their offer for the kids. Electrifying the transportation system for them is a win/win/win system.

I took a little class from my local power providers and it sounds really promising. Regular customers should be able to generate and store power and be able to sell it back when they want. Sooner or later it looks like that will be the case.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
Electric School buses will be great. They would be even better if they used a convenient frame suited to transport people, like a flat nose bus with the engine on the rear. I can understand a dog nose bus is cheaper and easier to maintain with a conventional engine but it poses a security threat compared to the flat nose.

With an electric engine, gone are the limitations of the diesel and that should be the only way to go.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:00 PM

NorCal school district rolls out new electric buses

KCRA - continues with video