Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Job!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TOOL
Cool. When i call to ask what do i say lol??

Thanks man
Tyler
Ask for the service manager, and tell him you're interested in a porter position. Some dealerships have a fairly high turnover rate on porters so the jobs are easy to come by

Old 02-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TOOL
Cool. When i call to ask what do i say lol??

Thanks man
Tyler
maybe try getting the manager and saying, "Hi my name is ______ and i'm interested in obtaining a porter position at your dealership if you have any openings."

Old 03-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
I do not see why I would have to dress up in a suit to go interview for a job, I would dress up and look nice and presentable but not with a tie and everything unless the job demanded it. I have managed to get a job at the age of 20, I was 19 when I started making 40k a year, no suit or tie for me! I did an interview and they liked ME not what I looked like and how I had to present myself, instead they liked how I thought things thru and reacted to situations.

thats just my .02c

Old 03-01-2008, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
I do not see why I would have to dress up in a suit to go interview for a job, I would dress up and look nice and presentable but not with a tie and everything unless the job demanded it. I have managed to get a job at the age of 20, I was 19 when I started making 40k a year, no suit or tie for me! I did an interview and they liked ME not what I looked like and how I had to present myself, instead they liked how I thought things thru and reacted to situations.

thats just my .02c
guess it depends on teh job. a mechanic, i could see why you wouldn't wear a suit. but a real job, i understand why someone would wear nice/dress clothing

Old 03-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Ive never worn a suit to a job interview. Granted Ive only had a few interviews. Just look nice, I wear jeans, and a polo.

One of my favorite jobs was Carmax. Theyre so strict though. If you dont eat, sleep, and breath Carmax you better look out. I did detail/lot porter. Pay was great but I was ALWAYS there. I worked my ass off and I got no respect. I was favorites for a lot of people though. I did a lot of details and everyone requested me. All the showroom cars I cleaned. No one else was allowed but me.

The management started to go to hell. People were getting fired and they threw everything on my shoulders. I was working 10hr days and closing by myself. I was called in on ALL my off days and threatened to get fired if I didnt come in. If I left something unfinished or out of line Id get chewed the next day. Its impossible to close by yourself and get everything done.

I started to get careless and break the rules a little. I started washing my car in the bays, thats a HUGE no no. No unauthorized cars are allowed on Carmax grounds. I was caught. A coworked was also fired because he didnt stop me from washing my car. What kinda shat is that?

Sorry... Im recapping my Carmax life.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
try a trade...plumbing electrical whatever. easy to get a job with no experience...every job interview ive had (worked at a few over the years) always dress how i normally do, jeans(sometimes with holes all over, t shirt, tattoos, piercings but im an exp electrician) most places in the trade dont care how you look as long as youre a good worker. (not to say you shouldnt dress up...just saying how easy it is to get started in a trade). open the phonebook and start callin, youre for sure to get a interview. then get parents to spot you some $ on some basic tools to get you started.

gl

Old 03-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
it really depends on the job you're trying to get. i bought a suit for my job interviews but ended up never wearing the suit, just the pants, shirt, and tie. it really depends on where you're trying to get a job, you want to dress appropriately.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
yeah def dress for the job. and just because you didnt get it the first time, be a little persistant. keep at em. and dont wait for them to call you, always call them and check back in if they havent called you after a day or 2(or if its past the day they said they would let you know). just give em a call and ask if theyve had the just to review your application. and dont be afraid to apply twice if they turn you down once ;]