Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Help me decide on a 600cc sport bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
Help me decide on a 600cc sport bike

I'm undecided between the Suzuki gsx600 blue/white scheme, or the Honda cbr 600rr In all black, my third pick could be a triumph 675 daytona, the only thing I dislike about the triumph is the 3cylinder lower revving engine. All would be 2011 model, anybody own any of these, I was about to drop 2-4k boosting the fit. But I have a change of heart and decided I will get all the adrenaline and speed meth fix I'll need with a motorcycle. Help me decided thnx

Old 07-02-2011, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
I would normally say the CBR, but a lot of people have been telling me to pick up a Gixxer lately. Its really a matter of what you are looking for. The GSX-R has more horsepower: 103.1 @ 13,400 RPMs, compared to the CBR's 100.7 @ 12,500. The difference in torque between the two is minimal (Gixxer: 44.0 FT-LB @ 11,400 RPMs, CBR 44.2 FT-LB @ 11,100RPM) but the Gixxer still has better acceleration from what I have gathered from friends that ride. Depending on what you are looking for and who you ask, the CBR is either more balanced, more tame, or just plain slower. You have to qualify anything that either camp says though as potential fan-boy bias.
As far as the Triumph goes, it has the lowest MSRP of these three, and the highest performance numbers. With more displacement it naturally produces more horsepower and more torque: 111.1 HP @ 12.6K, & 48.4 FT-LB @10.6K. But I honestly don't know that many people who ride them personally.
Have you written off Kawasaki and Yamaha? The ZX-6R is retailing for around 10 right now brand new, and has the highest performance numbers for a 599cc bike: 109.6 hp@
13.7K RPM, & 44.4FT-LB of torque @ 11.6K.
The YZF-R6 supposedly has a lot more track-able characteristics as far as cornering and so forth;. Its a little more than the ZX-6R but has raw performance numbers on the dyno. Again, it really depends on what you are going for and on riding style. Also, if you are on this site, it probably means that any performance issues with whatever bike you choose will be solved with aftermarket equipment. But this is all just food for thought.
So if I was going to get one of the three you mentioned, I would go with the Gixxer. However, if I were able to look in a different direction I would go for the Kaw. Just saying. Hope all this helps at least a little.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Lower revving generally means better bottom end torque and less vibration at highway speeds... I am an old guy and like a bike that doesn't have to be constantly rowed through the gears so that would be what I would want to test ride first.... It may not be the one I pick because I enjoy a great handling bike that's scary fast too. The high pitched drone of a 4 cylinder bike at over 10000 RPM isn't my idea of going out for a relaxing ride through the countryside... You may really like it for yourself but not for any length of time I'll bet.. I hope you enjoy the hell out of what ever you get.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
op: get an sv650, you're gonna kill yourself on a superbike. plus the insurance is only going to be a fraction of what you'd pay for the superbike

Old 07-02-2011, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
Honda of course!!!
Honda for life

Old 07-03-2011, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Lol thanks for the great responses....only reason I'm not including the yamaha r6 is cause I had one and I want something a little different. It was shaky at speed, never found what the problem was but I'm guessing it needed a stabilizer of some sort it was an 07 brand spanking new. The kawasaki's are nice havnt really looked into them. Lol I would never consider any 600cc slow by any means, nothing can really touch them on the street except for maybe another bike or some really fast car. I love the drone of high winding engines, when I get my bike I'm planning to cruise up the north east coast, I'm still trying to figure out where my cloth's are gonna go? Oh and the wife too

Old 07-03-2011, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks Texas, I will deffinatly enjoy it. You have too while you can, I figure I have a couple more years of riding before I have too settle for a cruiser.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
I'm going to look into the triumph seeing that it's not such a popular option. Hopefully they still make them in either the UK or US. The styling is growing on me, I wonder why many people dismiss them, probably better to just go with a "known" brand type of assumption.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
The triumph has lots of what I'm looking for. Projector headlights,undertail exhaust, color scheme. I don't care much for user adjustability because I'm never going to track it. Maybe some spirited runs here and there, I'm a really cautious driver with age it comes naturally "most of the time it does" even in my car as I'm passing another driver I'm looking at their vehicle and the body posture and head movements the driver is doing.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:17 AM
<3 my f4i, I've already owned two and it's a shame Honda no longer makes anything like it..

..getting harder to find parts though

Old 08-11-2011, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
funny that both your top 2 bikes are my least favorite 600cc. im a huge gsxr hater, and ive rode plenty of different years. non to which has had me smile a bit while riding. 600rr is just a tad bit skinny for me, and i think that is a main reason why i do not like the gsxr asbwell.

the triumph is a great bike, i loved it daily driving and i loved it in the canyons. but it will tear your back up long distance riding. and you cant beat the sound of a triumph, the distinctive wine that the 3 cylinder is awesome.

for the 600 class i rode a 08 r6 which that is one of my favorite 600 from 06+. im not biased i just really like the cornering and the power it had. daily driving wise sucked because of the riding posistioning. but last year i put 21k so i ride alot.

i recently just purchased the new cb1000r. and now i wont think about going back toa super sport bike. Streetfighters are way more comfy, and to me i think they just want to lean more. i rode my friends duc 1100s and thats what got me into streetfighters. kinda gives me that cruiser feel on the straight aways and the sport bike feel in the corners. if i can give you any advise, it would be a street fighter. i rode my buddies f4i the other day and it felt like a low rider bicycle. my back started to hurt a bit, i questioned myself how i lasted 21k on the r6. will never go back to a super sport bike again.