Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Slime tire sealant in garden tractor???

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Slime tire sealant in garden tractor???

Any thoughts/experience on using Slime tire sealant in older garden tractor tires? I've got a tire that is slowly leaking around a seam.
Anyone use the Slime to extend the life of older, non-road use tires?

Old 08-05-2018, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by max503
Any thoughts/experience on using Slime tire sealant in older garden tractor tires? I've got a tire that is slowly leaking around a seam.
Anyone use the Slime to extend the life of older, non-road use tires?
Have you made sure this is not a two piece rim with a seal between? I have seen people chase leaks because of this. I think my old Yard-Man was this way...

I have used slime in ATV's, kids bicycles, and tractors. It is mind boggling how well it can stop leaks, but bead sealing is always debatable. Slime is going to sit in the lowest places, which is not where your bead is located. You may have really good luck at first if you are using it while the wheel is off and you can rotate it around by hand, but once it is mounted, it is hard to expose the bead to new Slime. Also if you have constant exposure to refilling with air because you cannot find the leak, you will eventually dry out your slime. The stuff that keeps it a luquid will evaporate if you recycle the air inside the tire enough times.

I make my own for my bicycles and saves tons of money.... People running tubeless tires on bicycles tend to dry out every 3-6 months depending on where you live and how you store your bikes. I have found that making my own is more rewarding. You can google the topic, it's kind of fun to make in half gallon batches.

Always tell your tire shop if you have installed slime or any other sealer. The stuff I make has ammonia and glycol anti-freeze, silicone, and a couple other things... You do not want to blast a tire guy with that stuff.

Last edited by CyclingFit; 08-06-2018 at 08:15 AM. Reason: typos