Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Big and little...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
Big and little...

Just got the older sibling to my Fit. It's a 2013 Honda Odyssey with only 34k. Dealer got it in as a trade from an older couple who downsized into a Buick. New brake pads in front, resurfaced front rotors and new pads in back. Four brand new tires all around and a new alignment. Appears to be in great shape. It doesn't even have the indentations from having car seats! That's going to change real quick haha.

Talked it down to $18500 + tax/title/tag/fees etc @ 3.24%

Old 03-30-2019, 12:19 PM
That, my friend, is a good score!

Old 03-30-2019, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
Nice find! It’s hard to beat a minivan for what you get!

Old 03-30-2019, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks! My wife is super stoked to finally have a minivan. I have to say it is much easier to get the kids in their car seats versus the 4runner. Payments won't be too bad either. I recently got an unexpected raise that would go towards the payments. That's the only reason that accelerated looking for the Odyssey. I'm glad I looked as I probably would have missed out on this deal.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
My wife is super stoked to finally have a minivan. I have to say it is much easier to get the kids in their car seats versus the 4runner.
My wife was so against a minivan lol. We ended up with the Pilot but minivans are such a better use of space. I had one growing up and it was great. We test drove an Odyssey and she didn’t like that you couldn’t see the hood while driving (I don’t understand).

Old 03-31-2019, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GolNat
My wife was so against a minivan lol. We ended up with the Pilot but minivans are such a better use of space. I had one growing up and it was great. We test drove an Odyssey and she didn’t like that you couldn’t see the hood while driving (I don’t understand).
My wife is short so she finds it easier getting the car seat into a minivan over the higher 4runner. She also likes being able to be in the Odyssey while strapping in the kids versus stepping on the running boards of the 4runner.

She mentioned the hood too, but that'll be something she just gets used to. She used to drive a mustang before I gave her the 4runner and that was a change for her as well. I stood at the bumper of the Odyssey to give her an idea of where it ends. Her first real drive she was driving it real defensively. On the way home, she took the twisty roads at 55 in a 45 zone lol. I was following her in my car and noticed she would do some late trail braking. I mentioned it to her and said that she was probably carrying too much speed in the turn, then having to correct. It would be better to be slow in, fast out and take a later apex. Sent her some articles to show her what I meant.

I forgot to mention that the new van had no recalls open. The couple must have taken care of it all. I had checked it because of the takata air bags recalls but was pleasantly surprised to find nothing.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:51 PM
Congratulations on the new addition! 34k miles is practically brand new. I suppose I may see you over on the Odyssey forums? :)

Old 03-31-2019, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by marmaladedad
Congratulations on the new addition! 34k miles is practically brand new. I suppose I may see you over on the Odyssey forums? :)
More than likely. Which ones are you on?

Old 04-01-2019, 12:29 AM
More than likely. Which ones are you on?
I only visit one - OdyClub.com. A lot of knowledgeable, enthusiastic minivan-enthusiasts reside there. Probably the most popular threads involve disabling the VCM, followed shortly by using wheels from Camaros, MDXs, or Pilots.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member
I only visit one - OdyClub.com. A lot of knowledgeable, enthusiastic minivan-enthusiasts reside there. Probably the most popular threads involve disabling the VCM, followed shortly by using wheels from Camaros, MDXs, or Pilots.
Thanks I'll check them out.

I had done some preliminary research and saw some threads about disabling VCM to reduce oil consumption. Is that what you're referring to? Do you think it's worthwhile? I had checked out the fluids and everything looks topped up, but I'll keep an eye on it. Also looked at transmission dipstick and it's still reddish, but I may look at getting it done sooner rather than later as I know transmissions can be an issue on Odysseys.

Here is the sale listing in case if anyone is curious: 2013 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Also what's people's opinions on 3rd party auto warranties? I don't typically buy them, but curious what others do? They were trying to sell me on a TWG warranty for $1700 that's 5yrs/60k. I told them I'd think about it. Doing some Google searches after the fact, there are lots of complaints about them not fully covering repairs, denying repairs and being slow in general. Sister in law works for a different dealership and she says they use Zurich. Searches show similar complaints. I mainly self insure by putting away a little bit every month for car repairs. I know something is going to break so that car fund as I call it gets tapped and I don't worry. I've got several thousand in it now, and I used it partially for a down payment. My thought was $1700 goes a long way on car repairs...

Speaking of down payment, they let me put several thousand on a credit card. So I put it on my rewards card and will be getting enough for a free night's hotel stay. I pay off my credit card at the end of the month so no worries there.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member
When ever they ask about extended warranties I tell them it’s a Honda :). I’m buying it because it’s reliable and I have a car repair fund with a few thousand dollars for unplanned repairs. $1700 is not a bad price though but they seem to rarely cover the stuff that you would need to fix.

It’s got the J35 in it?

Old 04-01-2019, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GolNat
When ever they ask about extended warranties I tell them it’s a Honda :). I’m buying it because it’s reliable and I have a car repair fund with a few thousand dollars for unplanned repairs. $1700 is not a bad price though but they seem to rarely cover the stuff that you would need to fix.

It’s got the J35 in it?
That's pretty much how I think. If it was a Hondacare warranty that was more comprehensive, I'd really consider it, but doubt they'd offer that on a used vehicle.

I had to Google it, but according to Wiki, it has the J35Z8: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_J_engine#J35

Old 04-01-2019, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
Nice!! The J is a solid engine. Our Pilot has one and it has been great 143k at the moment. Not the most fuel efficient and ours has a timing belt but a well designed engine IMO. Also had a J in an Acura TL and it was great also.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:24 AM
Thanks I'll check them out.

I had done some preliminary research and saw some threads about disabling VCM to reduce oil consumption. Is that what you're referring to? Do you think it's worthwhile? I had checked out the fluids and everything looks topped up, but I'll keep an eye on it. Also looked at transmission dipstick and it's still reddish, but I may look at getting it done sooner rather than later as I know transmissions can be an issue on Odysseys.
I believe VCM disabling is to help prevent premature wear on the engine mounts. However, I am sure there are many Odyssey owners out there without VCM-muzzlers that are driving problem-free. The only people who ever come on to boards/forums have issues with their cars, right? The claim is that it tricks the car-computer into thinking the engine temperature is too low to allow cylinders to deactivate, therefore all cylinders stay running.

I installed one on my Odyssey and my wife's MDX. The cars suffered about a 1 mpg drop compared to before the muzzler was installed, which is acceptable. Perhaps in the long run it is akin to a $9.99-intake-vortex-generator (+50hp!!).

Old 04-02-2019, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
I believe VCM disabling is to help prevent premature wear on the engine mounts. However, I am sure there are many Odyssey owners out there without VCM-muzzlers that are driving problem-free. The only people who ever come on to boards/forums have issues with their cars, right? The claim is that it tricks the car-computer into thinking the engine temperature is too low to allow cylinders to deactivate, therefore all cylinders stay running.

I installed one on my Odyssey and my wife's MDX. The cars suffered about a 1 mpg drop compared to before the muzzler was installed, which is acceptable. Perhaps in the long run it is akin to a $9.99-intake-vortex-generator (+50hp!!).

I did notice the ECO light going on/off during the test drive and assumed it was VCM. To be honest, it's pretty seamless and I couldn't tell unless I was looking for the switch over. I expect my wife has no idea as she's not a car person.

OK yeah I saw threads mentioning wear on engine mounts too. Which muzzler did you install? What's your take on it? Worth it or a solution in search of a problem? Thank you for all the insight you given, it's really helpful.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:52 PM
I did notice the ECO light going on/off during the test drive and assumed it was VCM. To be honest, it's pretty seamless and I couldn't tell unless I was looking for the switch over. I expect my wife has no idea as she's not a car person.

OK yeah I saw threads mentioning wear on engine mounts too. Which muzzler did you install? What's your take on it? Worth it or a solution in search of a problem? Thank you for all the insight you given, it's really helpful.
From OdyClub's more astute members, the ECO light is not necessarily indicative of the VCM being active. I do not remember my forum-research on the topic anymore, but IIRC it requires a time-delay (along with nominal engine temperature) before the VCM system kicks in to deactive cylinders.

I ended up choosing verbatim's VCMuzzler. There are a few other options now, even one or two that are adjustable for resistance. This could be beneficial for you if you live in an area (or travel to) with big temperature swings. Or perhaps you simply to adjust and readjust. Verbatim's came with two separate resistors, and you choose the one that is more suitable to your climate. I believe he can provide you with a more specific resistance if you need. TBH, it is something quite simple to set up, but his product was well-designed and already completed/tested. I had an issue with one of the resistors and he replaced it. When that connection breaks, you will find the engine temperature indication shoots way up and the car runs terrible. It will also throw an engine code if it happens, so you would want a code reader handy. The unit on my wife's MDX has been problem-free since the initial installation (about 20 months now).

To use your words, it could be a solution in search of a problem. But, the active engine mount failures do happen with the Odyssey. If this is an ounce of prevention, then I do not mind.

Old 02-28-2020, 08:11 AM
I found myself reading through the ram air thread and then rismo's build thread for more info around the longevity of the ram air intake (which looks to have done well aside from the snow incident). Either way, stumbled on the odyssey purchase- excellent choice. Look what bisimoto did to his: spoiler alert it has 3 pedals.

Old 02-28-2020, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by knope
I found myself reading through the ram air thread and then rismo's build thread for more info around the longevity of the ram air intake (which looks to have done well aside from the snow incident). Either way, stumbled on the odyssey purchase- excellent choice. Look what bisimoto did to his: spoiler alert it has 3 pedals.
https://youtu.be/u0l6QMEiOdE
I remember seeing an episode of Top Gear (the US version) where they pitted the station wagons vs that Odyssey. I still have it saved.

Old 02-28-2020, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
GRATS! such low miles. IF, you decide on the warranty, I'd try to get that price 50% lower. Those things have insane mark up

IMO, hard pass. its a honda.

Old 02-28-2020, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by knope
https://youtu.be/u0l6QMEiOdE
wowzer! I've never seen that before. That's a crazy build.

I remember seeing an episode of Top Gear (the US version) where they pitted the station wagons vs that Odyssey. I still have it saved.
Then had to google for the Top Gear one and watch that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR2NZdOJI5s

Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
GRATS! such low miles. IF, you decide on the warranty, I'd try to get that price 50% lower. Those things have insane mark up

IMO, hard pass. its a honda.
Yeah I didn't get the warranty. I'm dealing with the white paint peeling off the liftgate that Honda is repainting under their warranty. I have a spot on my sliding door that is peeling too, that they are NOT covering under warranty. WTF Honda! They're offering me the privilege of paying them $550 to fix that. Screw that....