Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

what to do fit vs. GTI

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 03:29 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
haha i know mods are expensive all i would do is throw on a bov/spacer for fun and drop it with some wheels and i would be v happy with that mostly asthetic mods 200 hp is fine for me. i do think that turboing your fit engine up to 200 whp will destory the engine and honestly if you spend 3500 on the fit your almost up to the price of the gti anyways. and plz take into consideration there are many engine upgrades that should be performed when adding so much extra hp. that ppl overlook. honestly tho i love both cars. and i know that the gtis of the past ten years were trash thats why i wasnt interested then. but i honestly think they finally realized that the gti was supposed to sporty and fun and the made it as such. ust like i think that honda hit the nail on the head with the fit its a hard desicion for me... lol thanks so much for everyones experiance and input. i know that there is someone on these forums that has a fit and a 2007 gti ive seen an add or post or something trying to get rid of some parts plus he wanted someone to take over payments on the gti... id really like to talk to that dude but i cant find any info on him.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:13 PM
Mkv Gti

I know a friend selling one? Interested? Holla Back.

GD3blaze07'

Old 10-31-2007, 05:17 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tonyd3773
I know a friend selling one? Interested? Holla Back.

GD3blaze07'
why is he selling it if i may ask.. also i want a white one not budging so no i dont want the grey one and i wouldnt buy a used car if i was gunna spend that much on one lol :) but for my info why is he selling it whats the issue?

Old 10-31-2007, 05:19 PM
Mkv Gti

It's the GTI in my picture...to the right of my blazeOmetallic FIT. Say's UBER BOOST on the front plate.

GD3blaze07':)

Old 10-31-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by s0x
why is he selling it if i may ask.. also i want a white one not budging so no i dont want the grey one and i wouldnt buy a used car if i was gunna spend that much on one lol :) but for my info why is he selling it whats the issue?
Note that this is coming from a die hard VW fan:

He probably got sick of the check engine lights

Sorry man, new VWs have serious quality issues, that, and the fact that they are heavy pigs now, is why this VW nut is in a Honda Fit.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:44 PM
Kool

Actually just to reply to the above statement. The car is in great order with all schedualed documents..oil changes etc. This MKV GTI has been tuned for motorsport activity and main reason is because he is having a baby in nine months and wants a four door. Honestly being boosted higher and running a boost actuated methanol injection w/ a 100 octane program eats to much gas for someone to be a DAD.
To many other mods to list....doc @ 13.9 1/4 mile. And yes I do agree VW are way to electrical but the MKV that I have seen have been 10 times better.:)

GD3blaze07'

Old 11-01-2007, 08:17 PM
I previously owned a 2006 Audi A3, which is essentially same car as the 2007 GTI. I've also owned a 2004 GTI (Mk IV) and a VW Passat, so I've got some reasonable experience with VW's.

The A3 was a great car on paper. It was in the shop all the *&^#ing time though. I got sick of it. DSG was brilliant, but wore thin. Aside from the fact that I got bored with DSG, I had to have the transmission ECU replaced at 15K miles. The interior felt great. Until the pleather started cracking at 13K miles. The plastic started rattling at 6K miles. I could go on and on, but you get the idea. In the end, I got rid of the Audi with only 20K miles on the odometer.

I know I'm only one data point, but having experienced a multitude of VW / Audis, I can definitely say I'm done with them. I'm looking forward to getting 100K of trouble free miles out of my Fit. The handling is spot on. The build quality seems great. The gas mileage is way above average. And with the extra money I saved from not buying another German product, I bought an insanely fast motorcycle for the weekends.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Well Put

Great story, couldn't agree more!

GD3blaze07':)

Old 11-01-2007, 09:58 PM
I recently sold a Honda to a guy that's been a tech/supervisor at a VW dealership for 10+ years, and he said he's never owned a VW because of the kind of crap he sees with them every day. I was a VW fan actually, but that's pretty strong.

So strictly speaking about quality.. the choice route would be with the Fit.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:53 PM
NMG
I think it's quite simple:

Will the feeling you get when you slam the throttle in the GTI (it sure is sweet eh?), outweigh any potential problems with the GTI, that may not be encountered with the Fit?

I actually considered a GTI fairly seriously before I bought my Fit (the fact that we've had no issues with our MKV Jetta played a role), however, the bottom-line was that it was at least 75% more dough than the Fit. In those regards, it really wasn't a fair comparison. I wasn't prepared to spend GTI money at the time, so I went with the Fit.

I don't regret my decision at all, however, I have to be completely honest and say that if the cars were within a few grand of each other, there would be another VW in the driveway. I'd be willing to accept the risk of a few more issues for the benefits that car provides. I guess you just have to be comfortable with the potential tradeoffs.

Good luck!

Old 11-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Sean Hubbard
I recently sold a Honda to a guy that's been a tech/supervisor at a VW dealership for 10+ years, and he said he's never owned a VW because of the kind of crap he sees with them every day. I was a VW fan actually, but that's pretty strong.

So strictly speaking about quality.. the choice route would be with the Fit.
Im really shocked that new VW's still arent reliable, you would hope to belive if you buy a 07,08 model car, that it would be problem free knowing how far the industry has come..I gues not every company can be as good as Honda!

Old 11-01-2007, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TOOL
Im really shocked that new VW's still arent reliable, you would hope to belive if you buy a 07,08 model car, that it would be problem free knowing how far the industry has come..I gues not every company can be as good as Honda!
I believe the issue came when VW outsourced their construction from Germany to Mexico.

MEXICO: Construction plans for proposed $1,000,000,000

Just do a google on vw and mexico and you'll find it.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:53 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Antpwny
I believe the issue came when VW outsourced their construction from Germany to Mexico.

That explains it, thanks for that!

Old 11-02-2007, 01:01 AM

They only build a few low end models there. For a few years, the MKIV GTI was built in Brazil. Other than that, the current GTI (and all prior GTIs) are of German origin. So that doesn't really account for the quality control.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bradster
They only build a few low end models there. For a few years, the MKIV GTI was built in Brazil. Other than that, the current GTI (and all prior GTIs) are of German origin. So that doesn't really account for the quality control.
Well if the Mexican's aren't to blame then I guess it's the German's who are to blame for their quality control and the quality of their vehicles. Isn't that a bit worse? :confused:

Looking at the assembly locations based on wiki it seems that some are still made in South America.

Volkswagen Golf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-02-2007, 03:11 AM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Did you buy your fit yet? lol

Old 11-02-2007, 03:43 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
haha so far everyone has complained about gtis and jettas built before 07 except for the a3 dude but the ppl who say the have mkv jettas or new gtis havnt had problems so is it posible that they have resolved thie issues? maybe? im kind of in love with the gti but time will tell i need some cooling off time so i dont make an irrational decision im a very patient person so time will tell and even if i do get one im still a fitfreaker for life you guys are awsome.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
Well if the Mexican's aren't to blame then I guess it's the German's who are to blame for their quality control and the quality of their vehicles. Isn't that a bit worse? :confused:

Looking at the assembly locations based on wiki it seems that some are still made in South America.

Volkswagen Golf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

true, but none of the ones that reach us shores are mexican built. (i'm talking about golfs and gti's.)

besides, most (not all) problems with vw's seem to stem from NON-wolfsburgian models.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by s0x
haha so far everyone has complained about gtis and jettas built before 07 except for the a3 dude but the ppl who say the have mkv jettas or new gtis havnt had problems so is it posible that they have resolved thie issues? maybe? im kind of in love with the gti but time will tell i need some cooling off time so i dont make an irrational decision im a very patient person so time will tell and even if i do get one im still a fitfreaker for life you guys are awsome.

I just had to chime in.

I know what you mean! you ask a question about a car, a particular generation no doubt, and you get ten thousand responses about the same model from 4 years ago.

Lame.

Sox, when my wife and i got married, we combined our driving prowress and decided to get one car. We wanted a fit, but back in october of 06, you had to be on a wating list and put a down payment on one without even knowing what color it was. We decided then, maybe we could afford a higher car payment, and decided to go check out VW.

we wanted a gti, but alas, they didn't have our color (it looks sooooo good in white! im right there with ya!:) ), and they didn't have a regular model with just the dsg as an option. they were all decked to the gills with every option imaginable and nearing 27k.

We ended up with a 2 door rabbit.

We had that car for 27thousand trouble free miles. The biggest 'issue' was with the alignment of the windshield wipers. fixed under warranty and that was it. ( i had more problems with my 06 ex civic sedan, go figure!:eek: )

The gti is an amazing car. its not as expensive as some would have you think, (look at volvo's c30 if you want to be put into perspective!:( ), especially for what you get.

Like everyone else has said, its a direct competitor with the si, but even in 4 door sedan guise, the si doesn't have the same cargo capacity as the gti or fit.

the only way the fit is more versatile is in the sense of how the seats fold. the gti's fold flat enough, and (i'm a musician too, a drummer so i know how important this is) any equipment you put in the back, the floor will be flat enough for it. The gas mileage is a bit worse, and it needs premium, but its not horrible either, about the same as a midsize like an accord.

just in case you are wondering, the reason we got rid of the rabbit was because it was expensive to service. we are trying to simplify our lives for the time being, and a fit 'fit' (pun totally intended;) ) that bill better...for right now. I mention this ,because if you do decide to go gti, service costs are a factor, and i like honda's low maintanence.

But, like a few others have mentioned, sometimes a cars attritbutes can outweigh its downsides. How many of us fit owners justify our not so fast cars with how good the handling is?:rolleyes: Floor it in the gti and suddenly 70 dollar oil changes are no sweat. Our rabbit probably would have had an issue here or there EVENTUALLY, so no its not going to be bulletproof like the fit, but it should do fine, as (contrary to popular belief) mkV's do much better reliability wise.

when the time comes to get a bigger, nicer car, the gti is still a strong contender for me.

And ONE LAST THING i promise, before this post ends.

all this jdm 'soup-up-ability for cheap' buisness is crap. 500 bucks gets your gti tuned to over 250 hp and close to 260 lbs of torque. to get the same numbers out of an si, you need to spend more money. Sure, the gti has extra weight to deal with, but, again, contrary to what hondaphiles will tell you, the turbo on the gti is castrated at the factory..this same engine with a different ecu makes over 250 hp stock in some euro versions of the mkV. Trust me, the tunability is there.;)

Old 11-02-2007, 08:57 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eldaino
I just had to chime in.

I know what you mean! you ask a question about a car, a particular generation no doubt, and you get ten thousand responses about the same model from 4 years ago.

Lame.

Sox, when my wife and i got married, we combined our driving prowress and decided to get one car. We wanted a fit, but back in october of 06, you had to be on a wating list and put a down payment on one without even knowing what color it was. We decided then, maybe we could afford a higher car payment, and decided to go check out VW.

we wanted a gti, but alas, they didn't have our color (it looks sooooo good in white! im right there with ya!:) ), and they didn't have a regular model with just the dsg as an option. they were all decked to the gills with every option imaginable and nearing 27k.

We ended up with a 2 door rabbit.

We had that car for 27thousand trouble free miles. The biggest 'issue' was with the alignment of the windshield wipers. fixed under warranty and that was it. ( i had more problems with my 06 ex civic sedan, go figure!:eek: )

The gti is an amazing car. its not as expensive as some would have you think, (look at volvo's c30 if you want to be put into perspective!:( ), especially for what you get.

Like everyone else has said, its a direct competitor with the si, but even in 4 door sedan guise, the si doesn't have the same cargo capacity as the gti or fit.

the only way the fit is more versatile is in the sense of how the seats fold. the gti's fold flat enough, and (i'm a musician too, a drummer so i know how important this is) any equipment you put in the back, the floor will be flat enough for it. The gas mileage is a bit worse, and it needs premium, but its not horrible either, about the same as a midsize like an accord.

just in case you are wondering, the reason we got rid of the rabbit was because it was expensive to service. we are trying to simplify our lives for the time being, and a fit 'fit' (pun totally intended;) ) that bill better...for right now. I mention this ,because if you do decide to go gti, service costs are a factor, and i like honda's low maintanence.

But, like a few others have mentioned, sometimes a cars attritbutes can outweigh its downsides. How many of us fit owners justify our not so fast cars with how good the handling is?:rolleyes: Floor it in the gti and suddenly 70 dollar oil changes are no sweat. Our rabbit probably would have had an issue here or there EVENTUALLY, so no its not going to be bulletproof like the fit, but it should do fine, as (contrary to popular belief) mkV's do much better reliability wise.

when the time comes to get a bigger, nicer car, the gti is still a strong contender for me.

And ONE LAST THING i promise, before this post ends.

all this jdm 'soup-up-ability for cheap' buisness is crap. 500 bucks gets your gti tuned to over 250 hp and close to 260 lbs of torque. to get the same numbers out of an si, you need to spend more money. Sure, the gti has extra weight to deal with, but, again, contrary to what hondaphiles will tell you, the turbo on the gti is castrated at the factory..this same engine with a different ecu makes over 250 hp stock in some euro versions of the mkV. Trust me, the tunability is there.;)
THAT MY FRIEND WAS BEAUTIFUL! thank you for the very informitive responce it was very helpfull :) also if i may ask what 500 dollars would get to put you over 250 hp and also are these 70 dollar oil changes manditory or is this only if you go to the dealer is this something i could do or even my mechanic for cheaper? or is there special protocall that calls for the dealer to doin the changes... thanks again a billion for the to the point and informitive answer on this one :)... and ive seen about 20 videos of a stock si vs a stock gti and your right even tho the si is lighter it looses 90 percent of the time head to head plus you got yer drums in the back ;) lol

Quick Reply: what to do fit vs. GTI