Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

what to do fit vs. GTI

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:34 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
what to do fit vs. GTI

okay so ive been in the market for a fit for some time now.. i wanted to get an 07 because the white color but at the time i wasnt financially ready for this... closer to 08 i decided i could swing it but all of the white ones that i could find were autos and if it wasnt white and manual i wasnt buying it.... SOOOOOOO i looked around and found pics of the 09 wich i thaught was a very attractive little car and seemed to be worth the wait and so i started waiting... and waiting... and im okay with that ;) except........ today i was driving up the street and i was bored off my ass... so i went to a vw dealership to look at cars... and there it was in front of me... the gti....so of course naturally i drove it :) ... the interior was amazing the car was quick as all hell and the transmition was amazing.. the ride was smooth and solid and it was beautiful :).. i got out at the end and poped the hatch. the seats DONT fold down flat like the fits but they do drop... and according to vw.even tho it doesnt look like it it has 41.8 cubic feet of cargo space wich is only an inch less than the fit.... so heres the dilema...the gti is faster has nicer interior holds the same amount of stuff. is more comfortable. has a 6th gear and has a far superior warenty.... the bad stuff is the gas milage while not horible is no were near the fit... and thats about it.. the cost difference between the two will be about 80 bux a month but the insurance on the gti is a good bit more...

so what to do
small cute little fit with the big tummy thats kinda slow.
or
angry fast gti that hauls ass and has a big tummy too but costs more

Old 10-31-2007, 02:40 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
hmm

upon further review the insurance is the same

Old 10-31-2007, 02:47 AM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
fitfreak community > vwvortex!!!

Ha ha I'm kidding but seriously the fit is a better city car. With better mileage and so many after market and JDM goodies. Also the fit has 4 doors which is beneficial, I was hauling around me and 5 friends IN COSTUMES last weekend lol!

Like you said the GTI is a faster car... so if you really want that speed you have already answered the question.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:50 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
hmmm

i live in huntington beach ca and drive to ontario ca for work 5 days a week. that puts me at 4 miles city and 40 fwy miles everytime i go to work so im 90 percent freeway miles... also the gti comes in 4 door and the one i drove today was a 4 door i was concerned about this too but that eased my concerns

Old 10-31-2007, 03:05 AM
sox,

You may want to look at the total cost of ownership when comparing costs between the two. In total cost of ownership the Fit blows the GTi out of the water. I know many people will come to the aid of VW's reliability...but in no way, shape, or form can it compare to Honda or the Fit. It just doesnt.

A good friend of mine is a VW and Porsche maniac. His DD had been an 07' GTi. After a half dozen visits to the local dealership for repairs (warranty repairs) he decided to sell the car even though all costs had been covered thus far. To be fair he is a hard driver and put the car through its paces with very regular autox and dd duties, but teaches professionally so does not abuse his cars.

GTi:
DSG is awsome. Interior great! Comfortable with a good layout. More of a status car than a Fit. Decent freeway mpg and OK city especially for the oopmh the turbo provides. Sort of a pig in terms of weight.

Fit:
Economical! Great mpg on the highway and good mpg in the city (get the MT). Wonderful MT shifter and clutch! Practical (it puts the GTi hatch to shame. Reliable N/A Honda engines are dead reliable. Quick in the twisties (I autox against the GTi and post similar times and have posted faster over all times on a handful of occasions where there arent too many straight-aways). Spartan (this can be a positive or a negative...for me it means less to go wrong). Great interior layout! OK I could go on...

Both are great cars but with slightly different aspirations.

Best of luck!

Old 10-31-2007, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
When you say $80 more a month for the payment how long is this time frame over, 48 months, 60 months. The more that you are financing the greater amount of interest you are looking at. I was actually looking at the GTI for my girlfriend and it seemed a nice enough car, but after taking into account the additional monthly payment + gas + insurance (I'm pretty sure that the GTI costs more, More Horsepower + Less Doors) + maintenance (additional over the cost of maintaining the Fit), the proposed $80 a month probably becomes more like $120. Honestly it all depends on what you are looking for. For sheer practicality the fit rules, if you want some sport and power the GTI is probably a much better way to go. You just need to think about what you really want.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:14 AM
5 Year Member
double post

Last edited by Arisenfury; 10-31-2007 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by s0x
i live in huntington beach ca and drive to ontario ca for work 5 days a week. that puts me at 4 miles city and 40 fwy miles everytime i go to work so im 90 percent freeway miles... also the gti comes in 4 door and the one i drove today was a 4 door i was concerned about this too but that eased my concerns
GTi does not come in a 4-door, what you drove was the Rabbit. The GTi goes for around 23-4k OTD with basic options and has twice the horsepower, so insurance would probably be no where near the same nor would monthly payments be only $80 more. The Rabbit starts at about 15.5k and goes up from there with options, HP is up from 2007's 150 to 170hp in the 2008s.

For more information regarding these two cars there's an entire thread about Fit vs Rabbit you can check out.

Last edited by Arisenfury; 10-31-2007 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:44 AM
I really like the GTI too and VWs in general....but the main reason for me choosing a Honda over a VW was the reliability issue. I have known many people who bought a new VW during the last 10 years (up to last year) and most have had problems that were eventually resolved. (Electrical problems were the most common issue.) In 2002, I was wanting a TDI Golf but ended up getting a 2002 civic. I have a 99 civic and a 97 prelude (traded my 02 civic for the lude) and both have been trouble free.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
Its more like the Fit v Rabbit. I too like the Rabbit, for its looks,power(170hp) ride and price. I guess You can get a 4dr rabbit....add some nice wheels for just a little more then a Fit sport auto. The GLI is just to much Money.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:01 AM
5 Year Member
the other day i went to my dealer to change the Fit's oil&filter, and sames as you i went bored to the VW dealer. To make things shorter, i decided to trade or change the Fit soon. Im in love with the GTI...but yeah, it will be more expensive no matter what way were putting it...even mods for it would be a bitch..no jdm for this one, euro shit are pocket-sucking

Old 10-31-2007, 01:22 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Arisenfury
GTi does not come in a 4-door, what you drove was the Rabbit. The GTi goes for around 23-4k OTD with basic options and has twice the horsepower, so insurance would probably be no where near the same nor would monthly payments be only $80 more. The Rabbit starts at about 15.5k and goes up from there with options, HP is up from 2007's 150 to 170hp in the 2008s.

For more information regarding these two cars there's an entire thread about Fit vs Rabbit you can check out.
plz refer to vw.com gti does come in a 4 door go to the gti secion and build one im a car guy and i would know if i was driving a rabbit lol i promise :p

Old 10-31-2007, 01:26 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DynamicFit
When you say $80 more a month for the payment how long is this time frame over, 48 months, 60 months. The more that you are financing the greater amount of interest you are looking at. I was actually looking at the GTI for my girlfriend and it seemed a nice enough car, but after taking into account the additional monthly payment + gas + insurance (I'm pretty sure that the GTI costs more, More Horsepower + Less Doors) + maintenance (additional over the cost of maintaining the Fit), the proposed $80 a month probably becomes more like $120. Honestly it all depends on what you are looking for. For sheer practicality the fit rules, if you want some sport and power the GTI is probably a much better way to go. You just need to think about what you really want.
i totally agree with you from a practicality point of view the fit is MUCH more practice . insurance i checked is the same for me so thats not an issue but yes gas and also the payment is more.... i guess its the american in me wanting "more power" lol (barks like the tool man)

Old 10-31-2007, 01:54 PM
Retired Moderator
To be honest its no comparison, if i could swing a GTI financially i would be all over that car! Its a awesome little car, and truely its more compared to Civic Si not the Fit so go check a Si and see what you think with that car..The interior on the GTI is sick! The sterring wheel is awsome, the seats hug you nicely, and every feels pretty upscale! I love my Fit, but the GTI is one badass car!

Old 10-31-2007, 01:58 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TOOL
To be honest its no comparison, if i could swing a GTI financially i would be all over that car! Its a awesome little car, and truely its more compared to Civic Si not the Fit so go check a Si and see what you think with that car..The interior on the GTI is sick! The sterring wheel is awsome, the seats hug you nicely, and every feels pretty upscale! I love my Fit, but the GTI is one badass car!
the huge appeal for the fit originally was the cargo room.. im in a band and am a musician and when gigging i had 2 guitars a pa system and amp plus gear so the space is what i liked. the si is fast but thats all it is. it doesnt have enough room for all my crap but the gti and the fit do. the companys both say they have the same amount of cargo room but honestly it looks like the fit has easier accessable space but id have to go measure them out maybe its just the layout but either way the si wont cut it.. the si barely fits a guitar and a head with maybe a duffle bag in the trunk.. my guitar player has one and its just not gunna be big enough we always take his moms morano.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:05 PM
Retired Moderator
Yeah true that, im a drummer in a band and the Fit definetly comes in handy when going to shows and stuff! Id be all ovver a GTI if i could! So you want the 5 door or 3 door?

Old 10-31-2007, 02:13 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
probably the 5 door one. i really love the fit i wish i could have both haha iono still a decision to be made who knows maybe ill end up with an 09 fit :) lol we will see. but if i got one id prob grab the 5 door. its just more easily accessable and if im getting a car for utility as well as performance i may as well go all out. and make it as easily accessable as i can. whats the name of your band??

Old 10-31-2007, 02:17 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
VW=electrical problems. They suck balls. We have never sold a jetta or golf that hasnt been back for reapairs! STAY AWAY!

Old 10-31-2007, 02:29 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
VW=electrical problems. They suck balls. We have never sold a jetta or golf that hasnt been back for reapairs! STAY AWAY!
haha chris always loves to rain on my parade but i know he knows his shit so its validated lol :p hes a dream crusher :D <3

Old 10-31-2007, 02:40 PM
Vw

Hey man, just an FYI...I had a 2004 VW GTI 1.8T and from my experience being in sales and driving everyday...sometimes longer distances...IT SUCKED! As JDMCHRIS stated above they are an electrical nightmare...I had more issues then you can count on one hand in a year n ten months (till I traded it in for the FIT).
If you plan on modding your GTI....plan on BIG BUCKS (parts really expensive) as well as your MPG drop big time. Check this out...the GTI is already turbo but if you want to upgrade to a APR Stg. 3...try 5-6 grand w/o ecu programming. Don't know bout you but I would rather throw a turbo kit on the FIT for 3,500 bucks...200whp. Just my thoughts.

GD3blaze07':)

Quick Reply: what to do fit vs. GTI