Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Hello, I just bought a Mazdaspeed3.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Retired Moderator
Does the MS3 come standard with leather?

Old 12-13-2007, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Young Roids
The speed6s are a cool car and you can get a good deal on them and pay about what you would for the speed3, but I like that the speed3 is lighter weight and I kinda dig the hatchback bodystyle.
true i didnt look at it that way... then again turbo MS3 does sound pleasing but watch out for their turbo because my friends Speed6 turbo is starting popping smock already after 5 000 miles

Old 12-13-2007, 11:35 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TOOL
Does the MS3 come standard with leather?
i think the cooler leather/cloth combo seats were an option... i could be
wrong. like i said, im not really into maz's but i do read edmunds reviews.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:37 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by kenchan
i think the cooler leather/cloth combo seats were an option... i could be
wrong. like i said, im not really into maz's but i do read edmunds reviews.
Yeah my bud has a mazda 3 and says they all have leather, i dont belive that.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:45 PM
The GT modet has partial leather seats and the sport model has basic cloth seats.

I have heard about the turbo seals, it seems to be an issue with some of the cars.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:04 AM
Retired Moderator
Ok, thanks for clearing that up man!

Old 12-14-2007, 03:06 AM
As much as I love Mazda. They would have to bring out a new RX-7 similar to their first generation. I enjoyed the test drives I took in a couple RX-8s. I would have liked to buy a Miata but it just wasn't practical for me. The Mazdaspeed 3 seems like a really good car for the money. Reminds me of the 323/Familia.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:24 AM
So I was thinking about getting a fit or a Mazdaspeed3 and I chose the speed3. Was I wrong with my choice?
Yo man, My Fit would beat you anyday. I got a racing header, skunk catback exhaust, special rims and tires, carbon fiber hood. Yo.:eek: :D

Old 12-14-2007, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
yeah like the Civic SI is any faster...

Old 12-14-2007, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
A friend had a Mazda(nonspeed)3 and had terrible problems with it, including two transmissions, it ate tires, and never got anywhere close to the estimated fuel economy. He did not drive the car hard (grown adult, used the car for commuting and interstate trips), Mazda repaired all the problems excluding tires, but enough was enough for him.

Early on, some of the Mazdaspeed3s were experiencing broken transmission cases and motor mounts. Not sure if this was abuse or a design flaw, or what the outcome was?

I should don my asbestos suit for the flames that are about to come, but I have always thought both the sedan and hatch versions of the Mazda3 were not bad looking cars.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
speed3 and the fit? apples and oranges man....

if you like speed and don't care much about handling, then ya, speed3 is the way to go, but if you actually love driving, fit is the way to go.

260hp on a FWD platform? what were they smoking? oh well.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by diedwater

if you like speed and don't care much about handling, then ya, speed3 is the way to go, but if you actually love driving, fit is the way to go.

yeah man i didnt understand that concept at all...

Old 12-15-2007, 12:53 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Hmm... I always thought that engines were just filled with standard non synthetic oil. I used non synth when I changed it. Like what about guys that build engines they have always told me to use standard nonsynth for break in. Well at any rate the car had like 240miles on it I think it was their test drive mule I think that's why I got such a great deal on it,
It is non synthetic oil, just has lots of cleaners and detergents to help condition the engine. You are correct, if you are building an engine that is a totally different story because you get a real break in period. But to be honest you should have left the original oil in your car. Too late now, don't worry about it :)

Test mule mazdaspeed, sounds scary :eek: I am only speaking for myself, but I take it pretty hard on test drive cars if I get the chance.

Overall I would say your choice is based on what suits your lifestyle. Most people that buy the Fit (again, JDMChris being the exception, lol :D) are looking for a car that is good on gas, has versitle function and the direct feel of the car is a nice side effect that is winning hearts across the world.

The Mazdaspeed 3 on the other hand is going to appeal to those looking for raw performance and speed. It is versitle because of the hatch, but lets be honest here. You bought it for speed :D Gas consuption & cost, versitility and even drivability to some extent comes second for you. Nothing wrong with that, you are just in a different place in your life than your average Fit owner.

Me personally, I am buying two new cars in addition to my Fit either next year or the year after (I would now, but garage space is at a premium for me). I intend to pick up a new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2dr and a BMW 1 Series, my Fit is going to play a major role as my grocery getter and daily commuter car... probably still as my Autocross car occasionally as well.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Spule 4
A friend had a Mazda(nonspeed)3 and had terrible problems with it, including two transmissions, it ate tires, and never got anywhere close to the estimated fuel economy. He did not drive the car hard (grown adult, used the car for commuting and interstate trips), Mazda repaired all the problems excluding tires, but enough was enough for him.

Early on, some of the Mazdaspeed3s were experiencing broken transmission cases and motor mounts. Not sure if this was abuse or a design flaw, or what the outcome was?

I should don my asbestos suit for the flames that are about to come, but I have always thought both the sedan and hatch versions of the Mazda3 were not bad looking cars.
The motor mounts were a big issue but Mazda did a recall on them and I think it is all taken care of now. My car was built after the mount recall so I should have no problems with that. I have not heard about the tranny cases breaking though.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by diedwater

I While i know they are two different beasts they do share some things in common. Both are small cars. Both are five doors hatchbacks. I think that the speed handles good it pulls .91 Gs on the skidpad and did the slalom in 69.6mph. So it topped all the other cars in both handling departments in Road & Tracks test of all the pocket rockets(this included the civic si).

Old 12-15-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
It is non synthetic oil, just has lots of cleaners and detergents to help condition the engine. You are correct, if you are building an engine that is a totally different story because you get a real break in period. But to be honest you should have left the original oil in your car. Too late now, don't worry about it :)

Test mule mazdaspeed, sounds scary :eek: I am only speaking for myself, but I take it pretty hard on test drive cars if I get the chance.
I am not worrying about it. It's fine because if I did get a car with like <10 miles on it I was gonna do the hard breakin routine to seat the rings so I just look at it like they seated my rings for me. I doubt that people were doing dragstyle launches in it so it's all good.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
i heard speed3s were that reliable but they're still pretty quick. How's the torque steer?

Old 12-16-2007, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
speaking of motor mounts for the MS3, my friend MS6 had the same problem with the motor mounts he got an after market mounts oh man he felt the difference... are you thinking of changing the motor mounts ?

Old 12-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by Fitftw
i heard speed3s were that reliable but they're still pretty quick. How's the torque steer?
I can't comment on torque steer yet because the car is sitting in my garage till I get snow tires so i haven't gotten out and really drove it hard yet.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Zangoose GD3 Blue
speaking of motor mounts for the MS3, my friend MS6 had the same problem with the motor mounts he got an after market mounts oh man he felt the difference... are you thinking of changing the motor mounts ?
I might change the rear mount that they make aftermarket mounts for eventually. I am concerned with voiding the warranty though so I am still up in the air.

Quick Reply: Hello, I just bought a Mazdaspeed3.