Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Red emblems and Honda hypocrisy

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 11:11 PM
RDS
Red emblems and Honda hypocrisy

This was brought up in another thread, but I wanted to give it its own. How do you feel about red "H" emblems? There is a large community of Civic owners who put them on their cars, swearing up and down it's a "style thing", but then scream "RICE!!!!!" at anyone with so much as a neon strobe in his or her cupholder. wtf?

I find it hypocritical. Then again, that specific community is full of hypocritical morons anyway. As someone who's owned a Type-R, I personally hate seeing these emblems on anything other than a Type-R, but I understand there used to be yellow, blue and I believe grey "H" emblems (or is it gray?) and I can see how it's a "style thing". Still, I feel what the emblem represents is being watered down severly. The first Type-R was the NSX and it was the first car to get the red emblem. The NSX-R represented the pinnacle of Honda engineering at the time, taken a step further. We all know the color red is usually found on sports cars and engine start buttons. It represents a passion for racing somewhere in the automotive manufacturers bloodlines, past or present. Maybe I'm too old school to think that shouldn't be tampered with.

This is not a knock against anyone here. I've seen a few people with them on their Fits. I just don't think people should put them on at all, and then turn around and call someone else's car "rice" because of what they decided to do to it. To each his or her own, but don't make fun of people for it. Unless they do something absolutely stupid, like cardboard spoilers and Pep Boys aluminum park bench wings. But there's a market for that stuff too, I guess. What say ya'll?

Old 04-04-2008, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
I'm gonna put some Si badges on my Fit, I put some aftermarket performance things on it so it's justifiable.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:22 PM
RDS
lol, you are awesome.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
LOL i hope you don't put si badges on your fit.

i think the red badges should be kept for type r honda cars.

how do you feel about "integra type r" stickers and badges on a regular LS or GS-R integra? that's rice too

Old 04-04-2008, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
That one could be iffy... if it was just a straight LS or something and they put them on, then yeah it would be kinda stupid. If they spent the time and money to swap in the engine from the DC2-R and other parts of it then maybe, but even then it's kinda... eh.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Arisenfury
That one could be iffy... if it was just a straight LS or something and they put them on, then yeah it would be kinda stupid. If they spent the time and money to swap in the engine from the DC2-R and other parts of it then maybe, but even then it's kinda... eh.
the ITR is NOT the same as the typical integra. it has bracing and such in key places. an LS integra with an ITR motorswap and 5lug suspension is not, and will NEVER be an ITR. that's just faking the funk and ***.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:52 PM
IMO a badge should NEVER be added to a car no matter whats done to it. Changing the colors of the emblems... it doesn't fit as good, it doesn't look as good, 9 times out of 10 its sticks out like soar thumb and not in a good way. I think the entire trend is stupid and tacky.

But then again I'm a fan of removing everythign that isn't built in... if badges are taped on they come off, badges, emblems, door moldings, dealer stickers, etc. etc. the cleaner the better. Hell on my other car I turned down a sponsership because I wont run emblems/stickers for anything on my cars. I don't even like puting magnets on doors for Auto Cross.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
the ITR is NOT the same as the typical integra. it has bracing and such in key places. an LS integra with an ITR motorswap and 5lug suspension is not, and will NEVER be an ITR. that's just faking the funk and ***.
Well that's what I mean... if they take the time to put everything from the ITR on the LS so that it was essentially an ITR then maybe, but even then I'd agree that if it wasn't originally an ITR, even if it was identical to one after all the work put in, then I'd still probably say "No." for ITR badges.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:12 AM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
WHO CARES WHATS RICE AND NOT! do what you like. There are clean cars, and there are ugly cars. Everyone will have their own opinion on what is nice and what is ugly. Fix your car up the way you like it. I hate the rice vs jdm vs clean vs etc threads... gets us nowhere.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
Well said Chirs..Honestly most of these "JDM" people were the same people who not long ago had what is called the rice look now. I hate seeing all these people who feel so JDM with their fake unpaited lips and fake wheels. Honestly who cares what you do to your car. You cant please everyone.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:28 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
WHO CARES WHATS RICE AND NOT! do what you like. There are clean cars, and there are ugly cars. Everyone will have their own opinion on what is nice and what is ugly. Fix your car up the way you like it. I hate the rice vs jdm vs clean vs etc threads... gets us nowhere.
Werd, I'm with JDMChris on this one. Don't worry about what others think, do what you want to do!

Old 04-05-2008, 02:10 AM
RDS
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
In regards to your "[this discussion] gets us nowhere" comment, spare me the morality speech. The thread is open for discussion, the same way the entire idea of vehicle tuning is open for discussion and interpretation. If people only thought the way you do, there'd be people doing modifications for the sake of doing them, not because they're safe, not because they're powerful, not because they make the car better (or worse) and not because they even like them. I've seen people on this forum and many, many, many other forums doing modifications because they think that's what they're SUPPOSED to do to fit in. Which is the point of the entire discussion. I know some of these people who've put red emblems on their vehicles that have done it because they did something else and somebody--with a red emblem, no less--tells them what they've done is wrong. But who are these people to judge what's right and what's wrong?

That said, if you don't like it, don't read the thread. It's quite obvious you either didn't read it in the first place, or you skimmed through it and assumed you knew what the point of it was. You failed to see you and I share views on the same side. But if you have nothing useful to contribute, please find another thread that better suits what you want to talk about.

Last edited by RDS; 04-05-2008 at 02:18 AM.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:20 AM
RDS
Nevermind. Someone please close this thread. I can apparently have this discussion with others elsewhere, but not here.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:46 AM
u dont have to be the one to make this thread get out of hand. this thread is obviously open for disussion so discuss. if ur too anal of a person to try to understand someones point of view on the subject then THEN dont read.
back to subject

i completely understand what u mean about non type r cars with type r badges. it kinda take away the meaning of the badge and what it symbolizes. BUT the ppl with ACTUAL type r cars can be the better men/women and know deep in their hearts that they own an ACTUAL type r.

my opinion swings both ways. (hehe) everyone is open to do whatever they want to their cars, thats what defines us tuners (if u accept that term), we change our cars in every way shape or form we can to be unique. but u have to understand most ppl cant afford or find a type r anything, its so rare that to even have a peice of a type r car makes it unique. then again there are so many red badged cars that it kinda watered down the meaning and rarity of the type r. this debate can go in circles all night long lol but im too tired to type more as u can tell by my shitty gramar.

sry for the long post :)

Old 04-05-2008, 03:17 AM
As long as you can stand by your car, do whatever you want. It is human nature to hate. I got a lot of hate in my heart.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:27 AM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
I only have the rear red emblem on my car right now. I was actually thinking about taking it off last week, and going back to stock chrome. But after looking at the stock ones on other fits the chrome is just too plain. I'm keeping the red one on for now.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:31 AM
To each his own - I say........ I got the Red H emblems on my car and it goes very well with the storm silver paint. It makes that statement "this ain't you're mom or dad's car" (you know how many old-folks I see driving Fits?? I mean 65yrsold+!)

Everyone has their own opinions - it's not cool to HATE it, but it's always ok to have a different opinion about it...

But then again - when you're sleeping at nite and hear a loud coffee-can exhaust going up the street - my feelings come CLOSE to hate.. hahahaha.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
How did this turn into a "OMG RICE!!!" thread? That's not the point of this thread at all. The point was to see how people fealt about other people "mis-badging" their non Type-R cars. The only time "rice" ever came up is when we commented on how people who do put Type-R badges on their car, then turn around and yell "Rice!" to other people themselves, when by their same logic, they would be doing it themselves; hence the "hypocrisy."

Do what ever you want to your car, just realize you're putting Type-R badges on your car not "JDM" badges. It would be the same putting a GT-R badge on a Versa.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:19 AM
5 Year Member
Satire is one of my favorite types of comedy. I like things that make fun of other things. My other car (Nissan Xterra) has an "X-Rated" badge (a spoof of Jeep's "Trail Rated" badge). I also have a red badge on my stock (I have no intention of modding) Fit. Since it is made of reflective material, it serves as a reflector also. Personally I don't see the advantage of buying a Fit and modding it to increase it's performance, when there are cars (hatchbacks too), which are more suited for performance. That's just me though, do what you want to your cars!

Last edited by spreadhead; 04-05-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
The fit is an excellent car for modding especially autocross! I like the stock badges best. The only ones I like changed are TL's to the inspire badge and TSX to the Accord Euro-R! There is a Honda van in my neighbor hood with a GT-R badge from autozone hahaha not even a Nissan?

Quick Reply: Red emblems and Honda hypocrisy