Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Sport Compact Comparo!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 02:05 PM
Sport Compact Comparo!!

:wavey: Hey Everyone-
This video looked pretty interesting.....comparo between the:
*Volkswagen MKV GTI (Turbo)
*Chevy Cobalt SS (Supercharged)
*Scion TC (Supercharged)
*Honda Civic SI (NA)
What does Sport Compact performance really mean. All four of these little speedsters were put to the test....enjoy.

YouTube - Sport Compact Comparison

tonyd:)

Old 04-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Wish they would have thrown a SRT-4 in there :D

Old 04-25-2008, 02:30 PM
RDS
The results don't surprise me but I'd still take the Si over the GTI. After having driven them both, the GTI's interior is nicer but I prefer the feel of the Si. Plus I found the GTI had a bit too much roll and the spring settings too soft. The Si's the better performer on the track because it was designed that way. But the GTI's the better all-around car for daily driving because it was designed that way. Either way, you can't go wrong with those two cars.

Also, I think I saw this in the magazine a few years ago. That guy on youtube is late to the party posting the video up. lol

Old 04-25-2008, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RDS
The results don't surprise me but I'd still take the Si over the GTI. After having driven them both, the GTI's interior is nicer but I prefer the feel of the Si. Plus I found the GTI had a bit too much roll and the spring settings too soft. The Si's the better performer on the track because it was designed that way. But the GTI's the better all-around car for daily driving because it was designed that way. Either way, you can't go wrong with those two cars.

Also, I think I saw this in the magazine a few years ago. That guy on youtube is late to the party posting the video up. lol

could not have said it better myself.

but i would take the gti for two reasons:

si's are everywhere,

and you can really increase the performance of a gti with a simple chip. (and i mean REALLY increase it.)

some people prefer the roll; i don't but i would love a gutsy daily driver. the platfrom is great, the factory settings less so. but all this can be remedied. the only thing you really can't 'fix' on the gti is its lack of a true mechanical limited slip, again you have to look at the aftermarket.

the si is the track whore, the gti is the 100mph+ autobahn cruiser. both excellent machines in their own right.:cool:

Old 04-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Retired Moderator
Good comparison!
I think Si's is my fav, second for me is the GTi.

Tyler

Old 04-25-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm very happy with my car's spot in the sport compact dog-pile right now, but it is still fun to watch these video comparisons. I think i am looking for something a bit bigger and less fuel efficient next time though. -I am a true ignorant american- I like the smaller zippy cars, but i am getting sick of them more and more. I need the rumble of a v8 again. maybe a Challenger or S/C mustang, but that's a few years down the road.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
I want those Si seats! will their work in our Fit?