Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Small Compact Battle!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Small Compact Battle!

Wow, it's amazing how many of these small cars will be coming to the U.S. The competition will be great. I however think the Fit will come out on top because of all the aftermarket support it already has. I wish Mazda would bring the Verisa to make it more interesting, here is the competition:

Mazda Verisa

Toyota Yaris

Nissan Versa

Scion XA

Honda Fit

All at around 12K, this is going to be good :D.

Old 11-29-2005, 02:10 PM
You conveniently forgot the king of cheap subcompacts: The Koreans.

New Accent

New Rio

Old Aveo

EWWWWWW!!!!!

This sector has exploded in the last few years and It will continue to do so. Lets hope the competition will speed up development of new models and technology.

Last edited by tjts1; 11-29-2005 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tjts1
You conveniently forgot the kink of cheap subcompacts: The Koreans.

New Accent

New Rio

Old Aveo

EWWWWWW!!!!!

This sector has exploded in the last few years and It will continue to do so. Lets hope the competition will speed up development of new models and technology.
I just got lazy looking for more pictures :D, but yes these are also in this section, also the new Suzuki Swift, which will probably make it to the states

Old 11-29-2005, 03:33 PM
Wow I really like that Swift. I hope they bring it. It seems like all their current models in the US are rebadged Daewoos.

Old 11-29-2005, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
The reason why the Mazda Verisa won't make it to the States is that Ford and Mazda are collaborating on a next-generation B-segment car that will truly be sold worldwide. It's supposed to be unveiled at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit in January 2007 and will include the Ford version (Fiesta) and the Mazda version (Mazda2). My guess is that Ford might "pinch" some of the features for the Fit for the new Fiesta, namely moving the fuel tank under the front seats so they put in a true flat-folding seat to create a massive cargo area. (Don't think Ford can't be competitive in this category--the current Fiesta is actually a pretty nice B-segment car and has been a very popular seller for Ford of Europe.)

Old 11-29-2005, 04:07 PM
And lets not forget about VW with its new Polo and 1.4L twin charger engine that is supposed to get 50mpg on the highway but still make 170hp!

A 4dr Polo would also be very competative in this range if VW can lower its costs.

Old 11-29-2005, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MtViewGuy188
The reason why the Mazda Verisa won't make it to the States is that Ford and Mazda are collaborating on a next-generation B-segment car that will truly be sold worldwide. It's supposed to be unveiled at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit in January 2007 and will include the Ford version (Fiesta) and the Mazda version (Mazda2). My guess is that Ford might "pinch" some of the features for the Fit for the new Fiesta, namely moving the fuel tank under the front seats so they put in a true flat-folding seat to create a massive cargo area. (Don't think Ford can't be competitive in this category--the current Fiesta is actually a pretty nice B-segment car and has been a very popular seller for Ford of Europe.)
I agree with that, the question is how many of these cars will actually make it to the States. If gas prices stay the same or fall of I doubt we will see anything other than what we have now and what is expected next year. I think some of these will be a here a year to late. Anyways, here are some pics of the Ford Fiesta

Old 11-29-2005, 04:41 PM
Ford Fiesta and Polo are already produced and sold in mexico. It wouldn't take that much efford to bring these cars to the US. But Ford and VW are short hand for "too little too late" so I doubt they'll read the writing on the wall in time. VW is just now realizing that the Phaeton was a huge mistake. Ford has other problems worry about instead of selling cars people want.

http://www.vw.com.mx/CWE/estudio/EST...253D71,00.html

http://www.ford.com.mx/vehicles/vehi...sp?idModel=FIE

Old 11-29-2005, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
I think the Ford KA would have also sold well. I guess the demand is not out there according to their research.

Old 11-29-2005, 06:27 PM
Wow I really like that Swift. I hope they bring it. It seems like all their current models in the US are rebadged Daewoos.
The new Suzuki Swift is built in Hungary! Suddenly Korean Daewoos don't sound so bad...

Old 11-29-2005, 06:56 PM
hope that all the stiff competition eventually translates to savings for consumers

Old 11-29-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Jonniedee
The new Suzuki Swift is built in Hungary! Suddenly Korean Daewoos don't sound so bad...
Audi TT is also made in Hungary. Nobody seems to be complaining.

I like it!

I think its the fact that they didn't go for the tall roof concept like everybody seems to be doing these days. Cars should be low and sleek.

Last edited by tjts1; 11-29-2005 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:23 PM
this is going to be an interesting shoot out for real... lot's of competition out there... i see the fit, scion & yaris making the top3.

Old 11-29-2005, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Ford Fiesta and Polo are already produced and sold in mexico.
While the Fiesta and Polo are sold in Mexico, I don't think they are actually assembling these models there. I believe VW Mexico primarily produces the Golf/Jetta/New Beetle models at their Mexican plants.

Old 11-30-2005, 10:46 AM
I like that mazda a lot! too bad it'll never come here, I'd also pay a higher price to get a VW polo TDi.

While poking around looking at some of those cars, I found the Kia Reo5 pictured *starts* at $14K!? for a KIA??? what are those koreans smoking any how? It's not even that well equipt... yeesh, for that money I'd much rather buy a Civic DX

Old 12-01-2005, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
I went to the Mexican web sites for VW and Ford. Their prices were in Pesos, like $105,000 = $18,000 US? Or something like that. The Fiesta looks like a junior Focus, from the photos I saw. I see Mexican cars here in Phoenix every once in awhile; more in Tucson and Nogales. Saw a Chevy that was the same size as a Malibu, but had a different name and looked a lot different, and it had Mexican plates on it. Some of the cars they build there would do well here, if they'd import them. I don't know about the Ford Ka. I think it's too tiny. You could put it in the bed of a big pickup. :D

Old 12-08-2005, 05:42 PM
Mazda=Ford=NO THANKS
I can't imagine a crappier car company than Ford

Old 12-08-2005, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Halo
Mazda=Ford=NO THANKS
I can't imagine a crappier car company than Ford
Mazda does not = Ford. The only models that uses a Ford engine or major components are the Tribute, Mazda6 V6, and B- series truck. All other
Mazdas are built in Japan and use Japanese parts.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:22 AM
I love the Volkswagens' distinct, very European styling. But here in the USA, Volkswagens are thought by many to be very expensive for what you're getting compared to other brands of cars in their class, and not very reliable mechanically. The Beetle, especially when it first came out, was very popular with younger people and indeed, it was a real looker. But it is a VERY small car for $18,000+ U.S., and even though it's been out for years now, is plagued by continued reliability problems. For several years in a row, the New Beetle had terrible, hard-to-find and hard-to-fix electrical problems and problems with the power equipment.

Consumer Reports owner ratings by car owners themselves confirms this.
I don't know if they've fixed those things yet but I'm not willing to spend half a year's salary on that small of a car with such huge, ongoing reliability issues.

I'm gonna stay a Honda girl! Have a 1999 Civic EX with 176,000 miles on it that runs as nice as the day I bought it brand new. I'd have to be nuts to change to another brand of car! Nothing lasts longer than Hondas, that's my opionion after having 4 Hondas or Acuras, all of them having exceeded 175,000 miles with very little maintenance required.

Old 01-05-2006, 08:02 AM
5 Year Member
Hiya Crazed,

I agree with you 1 million percent! :-) My old 1986 Civic Si had 193,000 miles on it when I sold it. I think Honda and Toyota are the most relieable cars in the world. Right now, we have a 3 year old Camry that runs like a dream, and I drive a 10 year old Toyota Tacoma truck that I like to call the Weak Dawg, cuz it has a 4 cyl and auto trans. But, it's a faithful little truck (aside from having to put 2 starters in it) and it runs well and gets me to work every day. Can't ask more than that.

Quick Reply: Small Compact Battle!