Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Putting it to the jury - Fit or Mazda3

Old 03-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Why the need to get one right this minute?

Go pick up an EG6 hatch for $3k or something and then drive that until December, when Fit prices have come down. It won't depreciate a dime, and if you get a decent one, you won't have to put anything into it but gas.

I'm selling my '98 S14 now because I need to, but I'm going to be driving my 93 S13 until Nov. or Dec. when I pick up the Fit (maybe a touch sooner).

Old 03-13-2006, 11:29 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by timj
and 2 robots had a fight when out of synch with each other
I'd love to see that, as long as I was a safe distance away.

Old 03-15-2006, 08:15 AM
Funny, I was seriously considering the Mazda 3 a while back ago. I think the 3 offers a lot of car for the money. I also think Mazda quality & reliability is pretty good these days. What I didn't like about the 3 is that the base starts around $15k...but once you "jazz" it up a bit and throw tax on that as well, you can be over $20k. That's too much to pay in my opinion.

What I find really funny is at the time I was considering the Mazda3, I didn't like the sport / hatch version. Now, after looking at the Honda Fit (online only) I have a HUGE appreciation for the hatch style.
What disappoints me about the Mazda 3 hatch, is that it does not offer much cargo room.

I do believe that the Mazda 3 is a little more "refined" than the Fit will be, but for the money, I would hold out for the Fit.

Fit has better fuel economy, cargo room, and better starting price.

That's my $.02 worth of advice / opinion.

Old 03-15-2006, 09:29 AM
It really is amazing how much more fits into a small hatchback than into a full-sized sedan.

My husband always drives a sedan but frequently has to borrow my hatchback to haul stuff that won't fit into his larger vehicle.

Old 05-28-2006, 11:02 PM
I'm torn too

I just looked at 2 2005 Mazda3s, each with 15k miles.
Both had abs, side curtain airbags, one had the 6 cd changer, the other had leather. Inside, the rest of the interior is dabomb. Both were about 16.5 k.

I am really tempted to cancel my fit order because it's not supposed to get here till OCTOBER, for @$#@#$ sakes. The only things I don't like about the Mazda is the comparatively crappy gas mileage, I thought the clutch pedal required too much effort, and was a pretty long throw to boot. Also no MP3 cd ability or aux audio input. If the mazda had the mp3 stuff, I'd almost certainly get it for the 1k price difference.
However at this point I'm just torn.......

Old 05-28-2006, 11:02 PM
I'm torn too

I just looked at 2 2005 Mazda3s, each with 15k miles.
Both had abs, side curtain airbags, one had the 6 cd changer, the other had leather. Inside, the rest of the interior is dabomb. Both were about 16.5 k.

I am really tempted to cancel my fit order because it's not supposed to get here till OCTOBER, for @$#@#$ sakes. The only things I don't like about the Mazda is the comparatively crappy gas mileage, I thought the clutch pedal required too much effort, and was a pretty long throw to boot. Also no MP3 cd ability or aux audio input. If the mazda had the mp3 stuff, I'd almost certainly get it for the 1k price difference.
However at this point I'm just torn.......

Old 05-29-2006, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
The 3 is a nice car. If you have been lusting for one, get it. I don't think you would regret it.

Old 05-29-2006, 09:19 AM
[QUOTE=burm]Well, guys, I am going crazy comparing apples to oranges and am forced to make a decision soon.
My 2 cents, the mazda 3 is gorgeous, like a compact bimmer and very sporty. The fit is more practical, and though has sporty handling it won't win many acceleration contests. Which one suits your needs better???
I too would compare the mazda 3 to the civic. In such a case I would pick the civic.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:29 AM
If you've really been wanting the Mazda 3, then get it. It may not be as practical as a Fit, but it is still practical and you apparently can get a much better deal right now on the Mazda 3 as opposed to the Honda Fit.

Unless you can't afford the extra $4000, get the car you want.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:35 AM
Master FitFreaker
of course the fit man bang for the bucks to me

Old 05-30-2006, 09:28 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Mazda his a reputation for bad trannys.. My mom has a 626 right now and right a 56k miles (55 was the warranty) the tranny went out along with radiator hoses (twice) so we had to spend almost 2k to get the tranny rebuilt and everything back to working order. Iam never gettin a mazda.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
the thing that killed the mazda 3 for me was some issues they were having but mainly the poor gas mileage.

their gas mileage is also worse than they are rated at. i will be driving 20k + miles per yr gasmieage is a big deal.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:50 PM
Someone that Posts too much
Me and my bro-in-law each bought an 03 P5 back in 02, although mine has been gone a long time, he still has his. He never had any problem with his even though he's careless (just a car attitude) with his cars. Since the Mazda 3 is on it's 4th year, it's likely that any bugs from earlier years has been eliminated. If you can get a fully loaded Sport model for under $18,000 USD (doable IMO), go for it. If not, you may have to reconsider and suffer thru more headaches. :D

Old 06-08-2006, 01:39 AM
I did a bit of research on the Mazda3 and here's what the owners are complaining about:

Poor fuel mileage
Paint chips easily (well, this is like all Mazdas anyway)
Some say the A/C is weak (a debate in the forums)

Otherwise it's a great car. But the main thing that turns me off is the history of Mazda automatic transmission reliability. In the past it's not that great. I'm not sure if anything changed with the 3 and the 6. But the cars a generation before has issues (but haven't heard much about the Protege's tranny issue either). If I ever get a 3, it's going to have a manual gearbox.

With the current pricing of the Fit, it does get into Mazda3 i (2.0L engine) territory. The S can quickly get up $20k with options though... the "I" I think is a valid debate.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:11 AM
Another thing to consider between the 3 and the Fit is backseat space. I definitely had the 3 at the top of my list until I went for a test drive. The back seat in that car is smaller than my Jetta. If you ever plan to drive anyone over the age of 10 in the back of your car, you'll be happier with the Fit. Granted, it's not as luxurious, but there's room and good gas mileage.

Old 06-08-2006, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
After recieving my Fit here's my opinion: Haven driven both. I can say I definately choose the Fit over the Mazda 3 for these 5 reasons:
*Fit has a nicer interior feel. Acura like gauges! 3 has groos Red/orange guages
*Fit get's MUCH better fuel economy
*Fit Handles better
* More interior space! Where does it all come from? (3 does have a littel more trunk area...but not by much)

% however the 3 did feel maybe a tiny bit perkier! maybe a little more power but the 3 was an Auto and my fit is a MT.

I'm Very happy with my decesion.
also, just filled up today. Only cost $26 (hell of a lot better than my tundra was $74!!) got about 28mpg...haha. and wasn't even trying. I'm sure if I keep the revs under 2.5K milage will improve a lot.
I was doing mostly city also BTW.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:14 AM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Buy the Fit then spend the other $4000 on adding aftermarket features!!!!

Old 06-09-2006, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
Man, most of this discussion took place 3 months ago...

But as it stands right now, you can get a Mazda 3 probably within a week, but a Fit will take around eternity, give or take an eon or so

Old 06-12-2006, 02:32 PM
You seem to have a leather fetish.

Buy a Fit.

Use the $4000+ you saved for mods.

No need for Orange, choose any color you want. ;)

Old 06-12-2006, 03:00 PM
I went for a drive in my brand new Mazda3 last week and, wouldn't you know it, a freak storm dumped golf ball sized hail on my beautiful new baby. Not a mark!!!! I am so impressed.

Also, I love the way my M3 handles and am very pleased that I decided not to take the Fit. It cost me only $2500 more for a lot more luxury (2006's now clearing out and priced according compared to Fit at MSRP) - leather, butt warmer auto windshield wipers and sunroof.

I may get a few less miles to the gallon, but when we calcuted how little more it would cost over a year it was worth it. I feel like a million dollars in my 3, but soon the Fit will be driven by pizza guys all over North American. A great practical little car but not the best value when you have to pay full price just now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Putting it to the jury - Fit or Mazda3