Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Putting it to the jury - Fit or Mazda3

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Someone that Posts too much
Originally Posted by burm
I went for a drive in my brand new Mazda3 last week and, wouldn't you know it, a freak storm dumped golf ball sized hail on my beautiful new baby. Not a mark!!!! I am so impressed.

Also, I love the way my M3 handles and am very pleased that I decided not to take the Fit. It cost me only $2500 more for a lot more luxury (2006's now clearing out and priced according compared to Fit at MSRP) - leather, butt warmer auto windshield wipers and sunroof.

I may get a few less miles to the gallon, but when we calcuted how little more it would cost over a year it was worth it. I feel like a million dollars in my 3, but soon the Fit will be driven by pizza guys all over North American. A great practical little car but not the best value when you have to pay full price just now.
Come on, Pizza guys? Hope your Mazda 3 is still running when that happens. You got what you really like (or did you?), so do you have to make that kind of comment?

Not bashing you, i actually was in favor of you getting the Mazda3 cause of the great deals they're having. It has an initially better value than the Fit but give it a year and they'll be almost the same, another year and the Fit will probably be worth more. ;)

Old 06-12-2006, 11:40 PM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
well i like both..., but the Fit is what i can afford now...

Old 06-13-2006, 08:49 PM
This is exactly what I am wondering about, as I have posted in another thread...
"Though the Fit and Mazda 3 are in different classes, they are quite similiarly priced and both are hatchbacks.

You can get a Fit Sport with HFP 16" wheels for $19480 CAD (MSRP), but you can also get a Mazda 3 Sport GS with a/c and rear spoiler $21897 CAD (MSRP).

The difference b/w these two cars is $2000 CAD. So is this $2000 CAD worth the extra 51 hp, slightly larger interior, and slightly more equipped in the interior department?

This comparison seems to make the Fit look very expensive for its class, but maybe that's my own interpretation."

It seems like the Mazda 3 is much more worth for it's value and the Honda Fit look so expensive.

Any thoughts on this?

Old 06-13-2006, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by misfiringsystem
This is exactly what I am wondering about, as I have posted in another thread...
"Though the Fit and Mazda 3 are in different classes, they are quite similiarly priced and both are hatchbacks.

You can get a Fit Sport with HFP 16" wheels for $19480 CAD (MSRP), but you can also get a Mazda 3 Sport GS with a/c and rear spoiler $21897 CAD (MSRP).

The difference b/w these two cars is $2000 CAD. So is this $2000 CAD worth the extra 51 hp, slightly larger interior, and slightly more equipped in the interior department?

This comparison seems to make the Fit look very expensive for its class, but maybe that's my own interpretation."

It seems like the Mazda 3 is much more worth for it's value and the Honda Fit look so expensive.

Any thoughts on this?
Mazda3 is not a Honda and vice versa. At the end it's what you want/like or needs that's probably the most important factor in deciding, price a close second. I like the Mazda3 but never considered it. There isn't much that the Mazda3 have over the Fit other than the HP advantage. Compare the specs/standard features and you'll know what i'm talking about.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member
I lloked at an M3. Gas milage was a big factor for me, the M3 as rated 31 MPG on the highway vs. 37 for a Fit sport automatic. Also the "magic seat" adds alot of "functional" storage not available in an M3 (or any other hatchback for that matter).

Old 06-14-2006, 05:25 PM
Don't believe the EPA ratings for the Mazda 3. I owned a 2000 Mazda Protege ES. 122 hp. I got 22 mpg, and that was almost all highway! I traded it in for a 2003 Altima SE and got better mileage (23-26). Mazda's are notorious for bad mileage. Read about the RX-8, little dinky wankel, gets Ford Excursion gas mileage.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:46 PM
I had a Protege 5 and was getting just over 25 mpg 60/40 city/hwy.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:57 PM
I test drove a 3 the other day. so let's get down to the gritty details...

the Fit I drove was a silver sport, m/t, and I drove a red mazda 3 s, fully loaded. Both were 5 speeds.

transmission: the Fit shifted very smoothly, nice short clutch engagement, the pedal pressure was just enough to get a comfortable amount of resistance, and the shift throws were short and crisp. Meanwhile, the 3 felt more like a truck than a small car, the shift throws felt long and clunky, and the clutch pedal travel was uncomfortably long, making rapid accelleration rather ardous. the winner: Fit

engine:the fit gets better gas mileage, and sounds much nicer than the mazda engine. but power wise, the 3 just blows the Fit out of the water when it comes to straight line accelleration. It has plenty of power to put you back into your seat, even with the A/C at full blast, while the Fit feels rather lazy, even at full throttle. the winner: 3

utility: the fit has very useable interior space, thanks to it's Magic Seats, which the 3 lacks. the back seats on the 3 dont fold all the way flat, and there's less cargo room than the Fit. winner: Fit

luxery: the fit has very little in the way of luxery items, while the 3 has a tilt/telescoping steering wheel, 6 way adjustable seats, leather interior, climate control, HID low beam headlights, and a few other goodies that the salesman mentioned that I forgot about. winner: 3

looks: this is subjective, but the exterior of the 3 looks very cheap and plastic, especially the headlights and taillights. The taillights on the USDM Fit look pretty lame too, but the JDM tails look wicked. winner: Fit

handling/safety: the Fit is a ligher car, with a better suspension. Driving it I felt like I was driving a sports car, not some econo-box. while the Fit lacks rear disc brakes, it stops pretty durn quick. the Fit also has more airbags standard than the 3, and better crash zones and what have you. winner: Fit

I think I've covered pretty much about everything important. oh, and if you guys where wonderin, I've allready got a Fit on order, driving the 3 didnt change my mind or anything. If anything, it made me more certain that I'm getting the Fit

Old 06-15-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by triggerzer0
I test drove a 3 the other day. so let's get down to the gritty details...
I drove them both too.
Have to agree with most of these comments- the clutch travel comment especially. I thought the 3 had an excessively long and heavy clutch that made shifting a lot less fun than it should have been - the gearbox itself felt great, and the ratios were nice

The M3's got a nice trunk area where the bottom can be reconfigured a couple ways, but I agree that with the seats down, the fit wins, hands down. :rolleyes:

Loved the interior of the M3 though, except that they didn't have an MP3 accessory jack on the one that I drove (a spotless loaded '05 with 15 k miles - don't know if the new ones have that....)

Between the clutch and lack of MP3 on the M3 along with the M3's lackluster gas mileage, I decided to go for the fit.