Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Putting it to the jury - Fit or Mazda3

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Putting it to the jury - Fit or Mazda3

Well, guys, I am going crazy comparing apples to oranges and am forced to make a decision soon.

I am down to 2 choices:

Do I pay MSRP for a Fit Sport as it first appears on the market or do I pay approx $4,000 more to buy a fully loaded (with leather and that moonroof I have lusted after for ages) 2006 Mazda3 Sport which is now significantly reduced because the new models will be shortly appearing.

I love the gas mileage and the cargo capacity of the Fit. Is the zoom zoom with moonroof and leather worth $4,000???? Yes, money is an object, but I expect to live with my choice for many years.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
The Mazda3 Sport is very popular with the people I work with. If only the reliability was a bit better, but they likely corrected the initial problems by now.

I'll start by seeing if I can coax Honda Canada into offering a sunroof and heated mirrors before I make my final decision. I'll wait a few months for delivery if need be.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Dan
Originally Posted by burm
Well, guys, I am going crazy comparing apples to oranges and am forced to make a decision soon.

I am down to 2 choices:

Do I pay MSRP for a Fit Sport as it first appears on the market or do I pay approx $4,000 more to buy a fully loaded (with leather and that moonroof I have lusted after for ages) 2006 Mazda3 Sport which is now significantly reduced because the new models will be shortly appearing.

I love the gas mileage and the cargo capacity of the Fit. Is the zoom zoom with moonroof and leather worth $4,000???? Yes, money is an object, but I expect to live with my choice for many years.
I personally don't like the 3's. The 6 is real nice even in stripper form IMO. A friend on mine has the SP3, and it just feels like its missing something, I don't know what though.

I'm considering the Fit because of its Cargo capacity, fuel economy, and Honda reliability.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:26 AM
There has been so much whining about no moonroof or heated mirrors that I would be willing to bet that Honda will add those next year - too late for me.

I am really concerned about Mazda reliability though. People in the Mazda forums seem to really love their cars but there are a few consistent complaints. We have owned 4 Hondas and have never had any complaints - only the usual deterioration due to age.

Old 03-10-2006, 04:18 PM
First of all your impatience is going to cost you..Every Fit coming to the states is going to be spoken for, given the limited qty's available at launch..Reminds me of the XBOX 360 right when it came out, can you believe they were idiots spending $1k on friggin xbox:eek: Whatever methodd of transport you are relying on now, stick to it until November or December and then buy, your wallet will thank you! Mazda 3...seriously man:confused:

Old 03-10-2006, 04:43 PM
I would consider them two different class segment of cars though. The M3 being a slightly more refined, polished, classier ride that has some pretty neat engineering features. Very good price for what initial quality you get: Helluva a peppy engine and handling capabilities too.

Honda has the name, durability, reliability and prestige. Too bad civic didn't have a hatch for N.A. to compare it too.

Old 03-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of time. It is either buy a car soon or take the bus (shudder).

Although different, Fit and Mazda3 were my two final choices and I just have to figure out if the more luxurious Mazda3 is worth the additional cost. There are lots of places to put that $4,000 spread. Also, the Fit would save me a lot on gas over the years.

CarDemon: I loved what you said about the 3 until you got to "initial quality"
That is the part that worries me about buying Mazda over Honda. I am leaning strongly towards the Fit because Honda has never let us down.

I once had a Honda Civic for 11 years. When I sold it for $50 it was still going strong. That car was a gift from the Honda gods. It cost almost nothing in repairs over the years.

Old 03-10-2006, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
why not use that extra 4k on a new civic? :confused:

Old 03-10-2006, 09:42 PM
I need a hatchback.

Old 03-11-2006, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by burm
CarDemon: I loved what you said about the 3 until you got to "initial quality"
That is the part that worries me about buying Mazda over Honda. I am leaning strongly towards the Fit because Honda has never let us down. I once had a Honda Civic for 11 years. When I sold it for $50 it was still going strong. That car was a gift from the Honda gods.
I'm currently getting rid of my 02' Protege 5. I loved it to death, but my heart has always been with Honda.

Mazda to me, is that runner up choice who will battle for the consumer Bronze medal alternative to Toyota & Honda the perennial Heavyweight favorites; And yes, I didn't disrespect Nissan. Beware of Honda Dlrship cockiness. They know they have the durable prod. that shows through them not really begging you for a sale because the next bastard right behind you is ready dish out what the market demand dictates.

I too, am converting back to the Temple of VTEC religion of which I will bow down to. Good Luck!

Old 03-11-2006, 07:27 AM
Oh yeah if you are thinking Mazda, becareful of which dlrship you go to. If you are in the GTA Toronto ONT area. Check Copping Mazda Orangeville, DaveWood Mazda NewMarket/Aurora, Avante Mazda Richmond Hill.

Old 03-11-2006, 08:32 AM
One thing you should always bear in mind is the maintenance aspect of a car. Also the less additonal features in a car the less things that can go wrong. Is there anything in the car that is unique to just the car you want? If so then be prepared for pricey maintenance cost during the life of the car.
I too fell in love with the Mazda3 but at that time i just did not want to let go of my old car until I know it was down to its last "breath".
I still don't know what made me decide to go for Jazz with Vtec engine and not the Jazz DSI version. :confused: In the end, after many months of worrying whether I'll get the best car for my money, I employed the age old technique of flipping the coin. I guess the fuel economy, with fuel price making the headlines everyday, was a very important factor but somehow the coin tells me to go for a bit more power. No decision is ever perfect! Just have to live with it and get on with life. :rolleyes: Whilst i do yearn for something with the frugal fuel economy that the DSI engine gives I do appreciate the extra power that the VTEC engine brings.

Old 03-11-2006, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by CarDemon
Oh yeah if you are thinking Mazda, becareful of which dlrship you go to. If you are in the GTA Toronto ONT area. Check Copping Mazda Orangeville, DaveWood Mazda NewMarket/Aurora, Avante Mazda Richmond Hill.

Thanks for the tip.

Old 03-11-2006, 09:01 AM
We won't get a choice of engine here for the Fit - 1.5 VTech.

I have just put a refundable deposit (yup, it is in writing) on a Fit Sport. I can still go with the Mazda3 if the Fit doesn't feel right when it finally arrives.

I just now picked up a 3 brochure and drooled over the cushy leather interior.
Ohhhhhhhh, I can picture myself zoom-zooming in that car. Still, I TRUST Honda. And I want 50 mpg.

Old 03-11-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm a parting member of the http://www.toprotege.com (TorontoProtegeClub) and also http://www.torontomazda3club.com (Toronto Mazda 3 Club), that's why I directed you to our Premier Dlrship affiliates who excelled in customer service. I highly recommend that you surf the specific boards to what they say.

Mazda 3's are alot of car for the money and that has been their selling point here in canada. It has been out a few years now and some glitches have been worked out. My dad has the 3 sedan and loves it. I test drove the sport with leather and I was blown away with the refinement. What an awesome transition from my Protege 5? You may have to flip a coin although the Mazda 3's are a compact car and this Fit may be considered sub compact.

I finally agreed 100% with the automotive writers when they said it feels and reacts like a car $5000.00 more and above it's class. Roomy as hell, turns on rails, nice clutch engagement and can go like a bat out of hell. I detest FORD but with engineering from Volvo, Mazda's ingenuity of small engine design recently and Ford's monetary backing and their best in technology is implemented. Oh yeah! My 130hp Protege compared to the new 148 and 160hp 3's engines gets worse fuel economy. Can you imagine a car gettting 30 more H.P. and still get better fuel economy than it's previous generation?

All in all for whatever car or dlrship you go to. Make sure your treated like gold and develop a good relationship with the service department. My Mazda of Brampton turned me off in a couple of way before I bought my car back in 02 and I'm hurting still. I fear for the Honda Cockiness which is prevalent and I hope to go by word of mouth to which Honda Dlrship to go to.

Last edited by CarDemon; 03-11-2006 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:39 PM
First off, the Fit and the Mazda three are not even in the same class. They do not compete with each other. If you have been "lusting" after a Mazda 3, then I don't thin you will be happy with a Fit. On the other hand, if your making a payment, then $4000 extra severly impacts your payment.

Nissan GOD

Old 03-11-2006, 03:27 PM
The things we lust after aren't always the wisest choices ;)

Old 03-13-2006, 04:24 AM
Ironically I ordered a Jazz with the sun(moon)roof option and rejected the car due to the roof being dented
The Honda bodyshop guy said it isn't that uncommon but mine was worse than others he'd seen. He said it happens in the factory when they fit the roof strengtheners round the opening, but I'd would have thought that QC would pick it up in the press/weld shop, paint shop or final inspection
Having looked round afterwards I have seen one more like
For the week I had the car though, it was nice to have the sunroof to increase airflow through the car, even in winter
Now Jazzless at the mo.:(

Old 03-13-2006, 08:29 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
As if. Why would they have dents in the roof after the installation of a sunroof? They didn't have this issue in the Hondas/Acuras I've seen in the past.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:20 AM
It occurs when the strenghteners are spot welded in
If its done by robot it is easily caused if the settings aren't right
When I worked at Toyota there were 2 occasions "when robots go bad"
one punched a hole right through the roof of a Carina
and 2 robots had a fight when out of synch with each other

Quick Reply: Putting it to the jury - Fit or Mazda3