Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Scion xD: "The Fit is No"

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 04:00 AM
5 Year Member
trust me when i say that the hurt from toyota is felt far and wide. I'm a proud standing member of the PSTOC, Puget Sound Toyota Owner's Club. I have an 83 Supra that I love to death and a 85 Supra that I get to tinker with and drive.

The crap that toyota is spewing right now makes me ashamed of mentioning their name. I've disliked scions since day 1. the scion toyota celica. Drop the damn scion name and call it what it is.

I fell in love with my 07 gd3 when I first saw it and that love blossomed on the test drive. I looked at several yarii (yes, officially multiple yarii's are, yarii. Same with lexi and prii's) and couldn't come to grips with thinking about owning one. Especially since we don't get the 5 door model in the states.

When I first saw the xd I thought, "Cool, a car from toyota that can compete with the fit." Boy was I wrong.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:07 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxgotfit?xx
Man do I miss the celica, i've always wanted one but im too broke. And to me every freakin' toyota looks like a camry! take a look at the corolla, matrix, and the new Murano wannabe (forgot the name), their front ends look identical imo.
Now if you want something that looks like a Celica, you have to buy a Mercedes:
Mercedes-Benz, Home of Mercedes-Benz Luxury Automobiles

I'm not sure if that's the same model I have seen around, but there was one that I was SURE was a new model Celica, only to be surprised it was a Mercedes.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by scorpmatt
trust me when i say that the hurt from toyota is felt far and wide. I'm a proud standing member of the PSTOC, Puget Sound Toyota Owner's Club. I have an 83 Supra that I love to death and a 85 Supra that I get to tinker with and drive.

The crap that toyota is spewing right now makes me ashamed of mentioning their name. I've disliked scions since day 1. the scion toyota celica. Drop the damn scion name and call it what it is.

I fell in love with my 07 gd3 when I first saw it and that love blossomed on the test drive. I looked at several yarii (yes, officially multiple yarii's are, yarii. Same with lexi and prii's) and couldn't come to grips with thinking about owning one. Especially since we don't get the 5 door model in the states.

When I first saw the xd I thought, "Cool, a car from toyota that can compete with the fit." Boy was I wrong.
My mom had the second generation Celica (hatch, round head lamps) and my dad the third generation (hatch, exactly the gold over brown shown), like here:
Toyota Celica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Those were great cars. Neither car died, both were sold. Dad died before his car died. Mum went to the Honda CRX-si (at my insistance, LOL). She died before her car died, but she did put in one of those 20,000 mile used Honda engines.

I didn't want the Yaris for a couple reasons. My brother has one, and I sat in it, and it WOULD have been easier on my back. But the seat material not only grabbed every single cat hair off my shirt, but held a grip on those hairs too. The FIT is a bit better as far as being able to brush off cat hair.

At the time I was looking, the Yaris only had the two-door hatch or the sedan with four doors. I wanted a five-door (four doors and a hatch), and that wasn't available when I was looking with more seriousness last year. But NOW it's available.
2009 Toyota Yaris

It's a four-speed automatic. They are close to the same as far as mileage (the Yaris gets one more mpg city, by EPA estimates), and pollution is the same (for California cars).

Edge goes to the FIT for horsepower and cargo space.

The cat hair thing, though, that was annoying. And there was no way I would consider getting something without rear doors. It's far too difficult to twist and turn to access the back seat area with my own back pain. It makes the back seats completely unusable. Being able to fold down the rear seat is good, but I still can't access that area without climbing in the hatch (oh joy) or more twisting and turning.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:02 PM
Man I hate that ad also but I used to own a scion tc 5speed and I did a ton of mods on that car and it was awesome. But sadly an a**hole with a Chevy Equinox was coming out of an alleyway without even looking and hit the front of my car... I lost all my mods my rims and everything and insurance don't cover the mods... Sigh but yea the ad is just hateful.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
blah, toyota keeps killing all their interesting models. now they have nothing interesting or sporty.

sure, i own a yaris. but is there anything terribly interesting about a stock yaris? hell no.

now everything toyota makes is a camry derivative w/ that damn 2.4L....tc = camry coupe, xb2 = camry wagon, matrix xr and xrs = camry wagon

slander by toyota on honda though. not cool.

id have traded my 04 matrix xrs for a fit in a heartbeat, but my wife didnt like the seat/pedal/wheel position...

i drove a new vibe w/ the 2zrfe and a 5 speed....felt pretty good, i liked it even in a car thats 200lb heavier

but maybe thats the misnomer on the entire thing.....xD should really be competing w/ the fit and vice versa.

its got 0.3L more displacement, 15-ish more HP, and subsequently worse MPG

as far as i knew the yaris and fit were still head-to-head...

id have no problem buying an 09 fit or an xD (er, if it were available in canada)

but toyota struck a low blow with "the fit is NO" campaign. dirty pool.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
I agree wise man supra and the MR2 bring them back and in a price range we can afford. Man one day i will be able to afford a good DD like my fit and a sick Weekend car for moding fun

Originally Posted by trancedsailor
I was going to buy an xD before the Fit. Then I realized my blood is Honda red.

I'm sorry Toyota but you suck. Bring back the Supra and the MR2 and then we'll talk.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thebarber
blah, toyota keeps killing all their interesting models. now they have nothing interesting or sporty.

sure, i own a yaris. but is there anything terribly interesting about a stock yaris? hell no.

now everything toyota makes is a camry derivative w/ that damn 2.4L....tc = camry coupe, xb2 = camry wagon, matrix xr and xrs = camry wagon

slander by toyota on honda though. not cool.

id have traded my 04 matrix xrs for a fit in a heartbeat, but my wife didnt like the seat/pedal/wheel position...

i drove a new vibe w/ the 2zrfe and a 5 speed....felt pretty good, i liked it even in a car thats 200lb heavier

but maybe thats the misnomer on the entire thing.....xD should really be competing w/ the fit and vice versa.

its got 0.3L more displacement, 15-ish more HP, and subsequently worse MPG

as far as i knew the yaris and fit were still head-to-head...

id have no problem buying an 09 fit or an xD (er, if it were available in canada)

but toyota struck a low blow with "the fit is NO" campaign. dirty pool.
The Yaris DOES have something going for it that the Fit doesn't. You can get the car almost option free. Which reduces the cost by thousands. Of course, some would say that is a problem too. That the Fit has an advantage, because it comes with all the goodies, the power windows and locks, etc.

That allows more people to get into the car, because it IS less costly. And I could have gotten along just fine with the base Yaris 5-door where I am. I don't often listen to the radio, near the coast there isn't snow and I probably won't need the rear wiper too often. I didn't have one before, so I could get by without one now.

It did seem like the xA and the Fit were competitors. But switching the body style so much in the xD after discontinuing the xA, they lost a lot of potential customers. I do not see the xD appealing to retirees. Or commuters. Or families. The Fit DOES appeal to all those people, as well as young people and modifiers, etc.

The Yaris doesn't have the same aura that the Fit does. It's a good car. No doubt. Maybe it's just the versatility that is catchy with the Fit. Those Magic Seats!!!

Mine are flipped up right now. I have some recycling to go in. It's perfect for the bags full of cans and plastic bottles. And I still have the back hatch area for my groceries. Plenty of room in there for groceries.

I got the automatic Fit base, and it has a 5-speed automatic. Yaris has 4-speed.

Luggage volume on the Yaris 5-door with 60/40 fold down seats (an OPTION):
25.7 cu. ft. with available 60/40 split fold-down rear seat.
Otherwise the luggage volume is 9.32
Passenger volume: 84.6
Source:
Toyota Yaris - 2009 Performance & Specifications

xD:
Passenger Volume (cu.ft.) 84.5
Cargo Volume (cu.ft.) 10.5
about TWO INCHES LESS HEADROOM! (than the fit)
Source:
Scion

Meanwhile, over at Fit HQ:
Cargo Volume (cu ft, seat up/down) 20.6 / 57.3
Passenger Volume (cu ft) 90.8
Source:
2009 Honda Fit - Specifications - Official Honda Web site

The costs for comparibly equipped cars is about the same. And the price is also about the same as a Smart car. It kind of makes the Smart car look stupid. Ha! Smart is smart only as a city car, for parking ease. I considered it too. But it's just not as reliable as a Honda or Toyota.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
ya, id love the have the seats from a fit....soooo much better than a base yaris.....

mine arent split fold in the back nor do they go flat....but from 06-08 in canada the non-RS models didnt have the option of split fold....which, imo, was retarded. all 04/05 echo hatchbacks got split fold rears...even the base models w/o power steering!

theyve sorta fixed that now....as the base 3dr in canada w/ the convience package get 60/40 rears and heated mirrors. but, in typical toyota fashion, in the 5dr you have to buy a TON of other stuff w/ a big package to get split fold rear seats.

agreed though that its nice that the yaris can come pretty stripped down (mine does have a/c either, lol)

but, from another point of view its nice that both the xD and fit come nicely equipped...saves somone like me a lot of hassle fretting about which packages to buy or not buy....base model already has all the items i'd want

still, toyota struck low w/ their ad campaign there.....id rock either car hardstyle

Old 02-02-2009, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by concorde
I also liked the xA back in the day, but was still over-priced in my opinion. So I bought the '08 GD instead.

Isn't the xA slightly smaller than the GD? Never seen them side-by-side.
to add to what taffetawhite said, while they look close in size, they couldn't be more different on the inside.

the xa has an absolutley tiny backseat, and the hatch is non existant. very poor use of interior space.

stock handling is worse too.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
dont forget the fit is 4x100...rims a-plenty!

then again, 5x100 is the new 4x100, lol

Old 02-02-2009, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thebarber
dont forget the fit is 4x100...rims a-plenty!

then again, 5x100 is the new 4x100, lol

very true. i will say that toyota has always had the benefit of offering wheel offsets that are compatible with pretty much every BBS wheel known to man. (including your yaris!)

Old 02-06-2009, 05:57 AM
I was wanting an xb before the fit, thankfully I waited & got the fit