Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

The engine...fit vs jazz

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 10:20 PM
The engine...fit vs jazz

What are the pros and cons of the US fit engine? Is it any different than the jazz?

Old 04-18-2006, 01:11 PM
It's not just the motor - but also the tranny ratios...
i.e. NA configuration goes faster to 60 out of the box
- out state versions get better mpg? (I'm guessing) :rolleyes:

Old 04-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by claymore
Same engine different TB with drive by wire.
The engines for the North American Fit are different from those used in most of the rest of the world for the Jazz/Fit range.

You have a 1.5 (VTEC I think but not sure) engine whereas we have a 1.2 or 1.4 i-DSi. These smaller engines were especially developed by Honda for additional economy and have 2 spark plugs per cylinder firing at slightly different times. The 1.4 is now included in the new Civic we have just got over here - not sure if that is in the USA yet.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:42 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by peterc10
The engines for the North American Fit are different from those used in most of the rest of the world for the Jazz/Fit range.

You have a 1.5 (VTEC I think but not sure) engine whereas we have a 1.2 or 1.4 i-DSi. These smaller engines were especially developed by Honda for additional economy and have 2 spark plugs per cylinder firing at slightly different times. The 1.4 is now included in the new Civic we have just got over here - not sure if that is in the USA yet.
so you get two sparkplugs per cylinder? thats cool how would us, US people do something like that?!

Old 04-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
so you get two sparkplugs per cylinder? thats cool how would us, US people do something like that?!
Dunno. You will have to ask the Japanese - they are the clever ones. :)
There again how would you do the VTEC engine either?:) :)

Old 04-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Also now known - Our intake manifold, exhaust system, and other items (possibly VTEC timing profile etc...) are different as well for performance reasons :D

Old 04-30-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Jonniedee
Also now known - Our intake manifold, exhaust system, and other items (possibly VTEC timing profile etc...) are different as well for performance reasons :D
Nothing directly to do with performance reasons - the fact is that they are entirely different engines hence different exhausts, manifolds etc etc.

The VTEC has been about for many years and is in many Hondas throughout the world (most of their other European models use it). The i-DSi is a new engine, as I understand it, which was brought out specifically for the Fit when it made its Japanese debut. It was then put in the Fit/Jazz when it was introduced in most other countries.

It does not use VTEC technology. Instead it is supposed to use an "intelligent Dual and Sequential Ignition" system. Which is supposed to "burn petrol more efficiently, producing more power and torque while keeping a lid on fuel consumption and CO2 emissions". Both are direct quotes from the Honda brochure so make sure you have your b******t meter on full alert when reading them.

Another poster in this thread has called the 1.4L engine "gutless". Having driven it I would not call it that at all, and it is not a criticism I have seen in the many (mostly positive) UK reviews, from both motoring journalists and users, which I read before we bought one.

Europe (especially the UK) and large parts of the far east are more densely populated areas and we do not have so many wide open roads as the US and Australia for example. The Fit was originally designed mainly for use in urban areas rather than as a motorway (freeway) mile eater, and for that the 1.4 engine is well suited, especially when it is attached to the CVT gearbox most of the rest of the world uses in this car. As it happens it aint too bad on the open road either, easily keeping up with traffic and being able to cruise at 70/80mph relatively easily.

Last edited by peterc10; 04-30-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:55 AM
No I don't think you get it UK - we've BOTH got the 1.5 VTEC (not talking idsi in this case) in Australia and NA - it was originally thought they'd be the same but now more and more differences have arisen...

Old 05-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Jonniedee
No I don't think you get it UK - we've BOTH got the 1.5 VTEC (not talking idsi in this case) in Australia and NA - it was originally thought they'd be the same but now more and more differences have arisen...
Sorry - didn't realise you were comparing Australian and NA. Interestingly Australia has both the 1.4 i-DSi (marketed there more acurately as a 1.3L) and the 1.5L VTEC engines.

Old 05-01-2006, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
So wouldn't mind the vtec though, us UKers stuck with iDSi :(. Not saying it's a bad thing.

Old 05-01-2006, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
You're either going to need to swap heads and modify the new one, or have heavy amounts of custom work done to the existing head. Also, at minumum you will need an ECU that understands the sequential firing, and quite possibly a custom one that will better deal with the lengthened stroke.

I really doubt the modification would be worth it in any way.