Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Modified cars are all starting to look the same to me...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
Who cares? Do what you like. Being cool is not caring what other people say about you or your stuff.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hobbaswaggle
Who cares? Do what you like. Being cool is not caring what other people say about you or your stuff.
Quoted For Truth. I picture every person with a modified car like my original post as just doing it for attention. But, how can I really make that judgement without knowing the person.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 05-18-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by baylorbro
I see the left over rice generation all the time. Just look at all the used, shitty eclipses driving around.
The more I think about it, this could be a regional thing. I'd bet money there is still plenty of rice lingering in parts of the country.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:48 PM
The funny thing to me is that "rice" is a universaly reviled style (if you can call it that) Its not like ricers get together on the Altezzatails4evar.com forums and gripe about all the haters in the world. Or maybe they do.....LOL And as for rice lingering, I think rice is like cougars; may seem great in the heat of the moment, but don't age well AT ALL.

Last edited by grtpumpkin; 05-18-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
. lol, but Vash had to come and be an exception to it.
ahhh that means so much to me.. heres the back of my car to prove that i had black taillights too haha i also had the spoiler taken off of my car.. i took pride into the all black/stealth look:

Name:  IMG_0911.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  185.1 KB

Old 05-19-2010, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
That is not your average looking Mustang......Very tastefully done.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:45 PM
You guys need to visit Detroit. Blacked out Mustang are a dime a dozen. They are hardly ever boosted though. Like Lyon said, cars are a regional thing. I bet the SoCal people see boso pipes way more than midwest people.

EDIT-Vash I wasn't ragging on your Mustang, just using it for my regional example.

Last edited by TurboManGT; 05-19-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
In my opinion the purest form of original rebellion is born quietly from the soul.

When originality manifests in the obvious, it so quickly isn't originality.

Don't chase an image. You won't want it long even if you obtain it.

(End of Obscure Philosophical Post)

Old 05-19-2010, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
IMO, the rice was never cool to begin with. I think the 'blacked out stealth look' was pretty cool for a while, say maybe a couple of years ago, but then all of a sudden everyone was doing it.
My definition is pretty broad, and I never liked altezzas or combat spoilers. Had a few stickers (when I was 16), but even as many as I see on cars these days. I felt ricey even doing that, so it's all relative, just like taste in general. The stealth look was never cool to me. Basically, non functional extreme mods like that. A little flair here and there is fine and enhances what came from the factory. I appreciate the aesthetics as much as any other part of a car, I just like a more subtle or refined look. I've been into euro cars for too long. Less = more.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
You would have hated my 72 Cadillac Hearse with genuine Moon Racing aluminum wheel disc with skateboard, BMX, freestyle stickers on the back window, red pinstripes, dual exhaust and signs in the side windows that said "Dead Baby on Board".... I owned a couple of Bike shops at the time.... I forgot to mention the 5 bike Graber roof rack

Old 05-19-2010, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
I think that falls into the eccentric category Tex. If it were today, there would be a rebellious hipster driving it. :D

Old 05-19-2010, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
You guys need to visit Detroit. Blacked out Mustang are a dime a dozen. They are hardly ever boosted though. Like Lyon said, cars are a regional thing. I bet the SoCal people see boso pipes way more than midwest people.

EDIT-Vash I wasn't ragging on your Mustang, just using it for my regional example.
yeah its cool. thats why i got rid of it. because i see so many cars like mine, but only mine was boosted.. i came close to just leaving the front bumper off so the whole world would know without a doubt that my car was different from those other 20 thousand blacked out stangs.

if you guys check out the back of that last pic i have it has the same liscense plate as my current car haha.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
You would have hated my 72 Cadillac Hearse with genuine Moon Racing aluminum wheel disc with skateboard, BMX, freestyle stickers on the back window, red pinstripes, dual exhaust and signs in the side windows that said "Dead Baby on Board".... I owned a couple of Bike shops at the time.... I forgot to mention the 5 bike Graber roof rack
After I came back to Austin from the Marines, I bought my $600 '71 AMC Ambadassador Sedan in rusty puke green. I worked at a music store (right as CDs were coming out!) and I ended up turning the back third of it into a skateshop. I covered my car in dealer-sized G&S, Tracker, Indy, & OJ stickers. We used to skate on the roof, hood and trunk lid - even did axle grinds on the edges of the bodywork. Damn, that car was a beast. When I bought it it had snow tires and a block heater plug hanging out the grill - Montana car. Wore them to cords pretty quick & got used tires from my girlfriends mothers car that were really too skinny for the car. It slewed around every corner I took - screeching the whole time. I beat that noise by driving it for a week with one of the exhaust manifolds separating from the block...gack! Finally got rid of it when the flywheel wouldn't release from the starter and I had to drive to work with it engaged (you know, that sound you get when you turn the ignition to start on an old V8 while it's ALREADY running). Got $150 from a towtruck driver who sold it south of the border. Probably still running, and a lot better than when I had it.

Most people will recognize that model car as the most-destroyed cop car in the original Dukes of Hazard TV series. Mine rocked black Steelies, no hubcaps, and 2 huge striped terry-cloth beach towels as the bench seat covers.
Most of the time it had a quarter pipe sticking out of the trunk...

Last edited by !bungle; 05-19-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
Being released from the Crotch makes people crazy.... I stuffed a 327 CI small block Chevy into an Austin Healey when I got out.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
"Modified cars are all starting to look the same to me..."

- This is the main reason why I've stopped going to aftermarket car shows.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
"Modified cars are all starting to look the same to me..."

- This is the main reason why I've stopped going to aftermarket car shows.
It's the reason I focus more in performance improvements, cosmetic styles are always out dated. In a matter of months you are being laughed at and then wondering what the hell was I thinking to get involved in falling for clever marketing of a fad.... It will one day come all be looked on as nostalgic and be popular again for a short time....Remember the Hula Hoop???

Old 05-20-2010, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
It's the reason I focus more in performance improvements, cosmetic styles are always out dated. In a matter of months you are being laughed at and then wondering what the hell was I thinking to get involved in falling for clever marketing of a fad.... It will one day come all be looked on as nostalgic and be popular again for a short time....Remember the Hula Hoop???
I guess car show participants have money to burn keeping up with the Joneses on each fad. Looked at a certain way, one could argue that those who get new parts just for show are suckers easily tricked into losing their money...

How many of these guys know how their cars handle in extremis? From my experience most don't have a clue.

Some people famous for car control, such as Benson Hsu of SileightyMania, drive cars that will not be welcome at a car show because they got battle scars from drifting, driving or road racing. They're not pretty rides. Those kinds of guys deserve more respect no?

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Type 100; 05-20-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
I think the guys that are doing big shows and winning are either in the business and can right it off as advertising, have sponsors in the business that give them a super deal, are for the most part very wealthy or live at home with their parents and have a money making degree and great paying job..... I raced motorcycles long enough to ruin a rotator cuff and stayed injured for the duration of the time I did it.... Those guys that race are crazy and unless it is drag racing, racing machines look all kinds of messed up.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:43 AM
5 Year Member
In a bit late, but anyway I also agree that modded vehicles are all beginning to look the same. Around here people do one of three things and go overboard with it; black out everything, raise/lower the vehicle to a point were it looses driving practicality, or put stick on chrome B pillar trim, oversized rims, and tires with puny sidewalls.

Almost every trip I made to school I see half at least half a dozen vehicles modded in such a way. Usually consisting of numerous cars with sprayed/tinted lights (so dark that you can't see the light at night), cars/SUVs lowered so much that they can barely get over a speed bump, blacked out lifted trucks, and midsized sedans with 22's or bigger with the fender vents and knock offs that stick out 8-9 inches from the damn rim.

Heck, in the nearest town there is a BOM GD that is just covered with stick on chrome bits and has trailer side turn signals drilled into the side skirts.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
There are abominations like that around here too Hootie.

Quick Reply: Modified cars are all starting to look the same to me...