Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

The NSX rumors are back.....

Old 11-22-2010, 04:42 PM
The NSX rumors are back.....

The NSX lives, at least in a different form. According to one source, Honda never gave up its plans for an NSX successor. Even though the V-10-powered post-NSX concept came along at the wrong time -- during the economic meltdown -- and had to be cancelled, Honda engineers didn't completely shelve the project.
They simply applied a more market-friendly (and eco-friendly) sports-car approach to the company's flagship two-door, giving it the latest hybrid gizmology. Completely different than Toyota's THS-II hybrid system, the technology slated to power Honda's new sports coupe "can be driven with either a clutch and an engine only, the engine and motor only, or the motor only," says our source. It will also offer a manual transmission option.

It apparently will employ a modified Accord platform, and power will come from either a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder or a 3.5-liter V-6, with the latter considered the sure favorite. Why do we think so? Once again our spies in Japan have uncovered a patent application that specifies a "V6 powertrain developing upwards of 400 horsepower." That makes sense, especially when you consider what one company staffer told us about Honda's desire to return to making sports cars. "Honda does not see the CR-Z as a sports car. It's a sporty coupe and a great first try in the hybrid-sports direction. To be called a sports car, a car needs to have the potential of an NSX or an S2000. That's what we need to aim for."
And as expected, the coupe will employ a version of the automaker's proven SH-AWD system, but Honda will apply NSX concept technology by fitting the rear-drive-based SH-AWD setup that enabled the test mule to lap the Nürburgring in 7 minutes, 37 seconds two years ago.

Using the front-wheel-drive Accord platform as a base for this car will cut R&D costs dramatically. Engineers will swap the front and rear around to create a rear midship AWD package. If the coupe gets the green light for production, expect to see it in showrooms as early as 2014. Still unclear is if the car will continue to be badged as an Acura here in the U.S.

Read more: Honda NSX Gets New Lease on Life - Motor Trend

Old 11-22-2010, 05:02 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
that's great news.

if it's SH-AWD, 6MT, over 350hp, 2 door, under $60K i will seriously consider it as my next hobby car when im done with my 370Z. :)

Old 11-22-2010, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
Being part of the NSX community for over 10 years. I would have to say I'll believe it when I see it. Plus isn't the world supposed to end in 2012 anyway? lol

All that aside, at least it looks decent this time. I wonder if they finally took their Acura designers in Irvine out back and put them out of their misery for the last few years of crappy design. (Search ASCC)

Old 11-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, the new acura's are kinda ugly. the RL and TSX is okay i suppose.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:45 PM
I already have one...

...a crosstour hahaha

Originally Posted by FITrunner
Being part of the NSX community for over 10 years. I would have to say I'll believe it when I see it. Plus isn't the world supposed to end in 2012 anyway? lol
LMAO... true :D

Old 11-23-2010, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
That image looks a bit like a k1 attack which is also based on a honda accord chassis....
Hmm...

k1 attack - Google Search

Old 11-23-2010, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ReeSpeed
That image looks a bit like a k1 attack which is also based on a honda accord chassis....
Hmm...

k1 attack - Google Search
^^this is true

quoted from the attackforums.com:
What is the donor vehicle for the Attack?
The official donor vehicle is a 90-93 Honda Accord. A 94-96 may also be possible but it has not been confirmed yet. If you do not have an Accord or you don't want to buy one, a donor parts kit is available from Euro-Works. Contact Euro-Works at info@euroworksltd.com for details.
although i highly doubt Honda would reengineer an accord chassis from the early/mid 90's.

MR, sh-awd, 400+ hp v6 with the aid of four electric motors pushing an additional 50hp each (electric motors not real spec, just what i'd hope honda brings to the table lol), relatively light weight, and within a competitive price? sounds too good to be true. honda don't fail us, please make an NSX not an NS-Z

Last edited by GD3_Wagoon; 11-23-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Temple of VTEC Rumors and News - Holiday Auto claims "scoop" on the return of the NSX, as a Hybrid MR

"Many of you have probably already seen these renderings, as Motor Trend floated them out last week along with some info. According to the Motor Trend report (which simply cites "one source"), the NSX project was never completely cancelled. The V10 plans were shelved, and have been replaced by a new hybrid design, possibly using a 2.4L 4-cyl or 3.5L V6 as the prime motivator. Motor Trend says that their "spies" have uncovered a Japanese Honda patent that details a hybrid V6 powertrain good for more than 400hp. To save costs, this vehicle is said to be based upon a modified Accord architecture - modified in the sense that it has been reconfigured into an MR setup. Motor Trend also claims that the setup will feature SH-AWD: "Honda will apply NSX concept technology by fitting the rear-drive-based SH-AWD setup that enabled the test mule to lap the Nürburgring in 7 minutes, 37 seconds two years ago." Motor Trend suggests that this neo-NSX could see the streets here badged as an Acura "as early as 2014".
While these renderings are interesting to look at and these ideas provide something for enthusiasts to ponder, this is the first that we have heard of any sort of resurrection of the NSX. Furthermore, since taking office at the helm of Honda Motor Corporation, Takanobu Ito has frequently shot down any notion that a Honda 'supercar' would even be considered for the foreseeable future. 'danielgr' (who graciously supplied the scans seen here) currently lives in Japan and is of the opinion that there is essentially nothing at all to these NSX rumors.
Before we go, one other interesting thing we noticed on the scan of the magazine cover is a small Acura-badged coupe. Daniel says that it appears that Holiday Auto simply repurposed some of Brenda Priddy's spyshots of the 2012 Civic Si, saying Honda could be bringing back the Integra. Daniel feels that again there is absolutely nothing of substance to be taken from these assertions, however"

Old 12-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by FITrunner
. I would have to say I'll believe it when I see it. Plus isn't the world supposed to end in 2012 anyway? lol

^ agreed