Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Consumer Reports Say Redesgined Honda Civic Scores Too Low

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
Consumer Reports Say Redesgined Honda Civic Scores Too Low

Consumer Reports says redesigned Honda Civic scores too low to be recommended - Yahoo! Autos

Last edited by sooznd; 08-02-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
Yup, that caught my eye yesterday also...

Old 08-02-2011, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subie
Yup, that caught my eye yesterday also...
Same here.

But you know what though? I don't take much stock in reviews about "feel." I'll use reviews for reliability and quality control issues... but when it comes to say, handling and "hard plastics," I'll see for myself.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
Sure- let me preface everything by saying I haven't ridden in a new Civic.

But whether you agree with the review or not? It's still devastating publicity for Honda. Civic has almost automatically been a class leader. It's been a brand leader for Honda. For the redesign to get a high profile review as negative as this? Is a chink in the once unscathable armor of Honda.

Sure, you should always check things out for yourself. But for many? With the competition that already exists in the classification? A review like that could kill a lot business for Honda.

There was a time, when it came to compacts and sub-compacts, that a choice outside of Honda or Toyota was clearly a compromise. But I think that period of automatic superiority over.

If there is any truth to the consumer reports review? Then Honda better take it seriously.

The competition has reached equality and/or surpassed Honda. These are tight times- a stumble like this with what was a major cornerstone, almost Iconic Honda product like the Civic? Could hurt a lot.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
I generally take CR Reviews on most items with a grain of salt. However when they start talking reliability or safety, I take notice.
Their subjective opinions on food items, etc are ludicrous. Many people consider CR the Bible on auto reviews- so this could really hurt Honda.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
this is what happens when the bean-counters call the shots and not the engineers/designers... but this is a good thing for Honda, in recent years they've been too conservative with their product development and marketing. maybe someone at the top of the chain will wake up and start building hondas again instead of appliances.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:27 AM
My wife and I drove the last generation Civic and it was a pig. After about a mile of driving it, my wife turned to me and said "What's wrong with this car?" The Fit was much better, so we bought one.

It looks like Honda has continued further down the path of mediocrity with the new Civic. As is often said, "They don't get it. They just don't get it". Bigger, fatter, crappier doesn't make it.

John

Old 08-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Seems to be an evolution...

-Accord now the size of a full size American vehicle
-Civic now the size of the old Accords
-Fit now taking up the slot left empty by the former Civic

It is sad to read that report about how the Civic seems to
have been downgraded... with the exception of stability
control now being standard across the line.

Causes me to wonder what the 2012 CR-V will be like.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
CR is best for reviewing appliances. dont listen to everything they say, it's super subjective to the writer. if you want to really check out the car, get a test drive.. review it for yourself and your lifestyle.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
I seen that too, They are lightening up the cars to get better mpg. The new Civic gets even better mpg than mine. Next might be the Accord but I suspect this wont happen, it all depends on the response. The Civics are getting almost as good mpg as the hybrids and has good power, it depends on what you want.