Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

TPMS Light + NYS Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 07:55 AM
tin
5 Year Member
TPMS Light + NYS Inspection

I have an '08 Fit and an extra set of '08 Fit wheels, since the original tires are worn I'm planning on swapping it out with the other set. The problem is the TPMS, I checked a few tire places and they all tell me I have to go to the dealer, and the dealer says it cost $100 to reprogram.

My question is, if the TPMS light is on, will it pass NYS inspection? Inspection is coming up in Dec and I want to avoid paying an extra $100 if possible. None of my previous cars had TPMS and I survived, I don't think I'll need it now.

The NYS DMV site doesn't say anything about checking TPMS, I'm just not sure if this is something the mechanic can just decide to use to fail me with.

Any advice? Thanks

Old 11-11-2011, 08:07 AM
If the light is on it will fail. Eliminate the light. Click the link in my signature for directions.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:11 AM
tin
5 Year Member
LOL, I found your post right before I posted. It's way too complicated for me. Not a DIY guy at all, changing wheels is the most I can do.

Originally Posted by Bthasht
If the light is on it will fail. Eliminate the light. Click the link in my signature for directions.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:17 PM
tin
5 Year Member
Just called the Honda dealer, they said it'll fail if the light is on. That's like asking a tow truck to watch my car.

The DMV (NYS DMV - (Brochure) New York State Vehicle Safety/Emissions Inspection Program for Cars and Light Trucks) doesn't say anything about TPMS for the NYS inspection. And I found a post on another forum from someone who is licensed for NYS inspection say TPMS is not part of the inspection. When I have time I'm going to ask a non-dealer shop.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
how about you just take it in and see what happens? does it cost money to do this inspection?

in my state as long as there is no ses light related to emissions, no issue. it is a stupid thing they are doing. they should allow dealers to do this instead of waste our time to take it into a dedicated facility across town. also, the last time the f-king loser scratched my G's sidesill for sure im going to painter's tape the sill this time as mine is coming up next spring.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:20 PM
tin
5 Year Member
Yea, it cost money, don't recall how much, but it's under $40. I might just end up paying $100 for them to reprogram the TPMS anyway, that light is pretty annoying. LOL

I sure hope the wheels I got has the TPMS sensors in them.

Originally Posted by kenchan
how about you just take it in and see what happens? does it cost money to do this inspection?

in my state as long as there is no ses light related to emissions, no issue. it is a stupid thing they are doing. they should allow dealers to do this instead of waste our time to take it into a dedicated facility across town. also, the last time the f-king loser scratched my G's sidesill for sure im going to painter's tape the sill this time as mine is coming up next spring.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tin
would it be cheaper, and are you willing, to move the tires to your oe wheels? or better yet, put some cheap tires on the OE wheels and just use that for the inspection (but you have to drive at least 20 miles for the TPMS to clear itself). Then, after the inspection, switch back.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tin
Yea, it cost money, don't recall how much, but it's under $40. I might just end up paying $100 for them to reprogram the TPMS anyway, that light is pretty annoying. LOL

oh wow... that sucks. yah, i'd just do the TPMS delete but you mentioned you didnt want to deal with opening up the cluster, etc.

it's not really hard to do.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:14 AM
tin
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
would it be cheaper, and are you willing, to move the tires to your oe wheels? or better yet, put some cheap tires on the OE wheels and just use that for the inspection (but you have to drive at least 20 miles for the TPMS to clear itself). Then, after the inspection, switch back.
I thought about this, and a tire place quoted me $40, but I don't think they understood what I was asking them to do. This is still an option, but I worry those tire guys are going to be sloppy.

Originally Posted by kenchan
oh wow... that sucks. yah, i'd just do the TPMS delete but you mentioned you didnt want to deal with opening up the cluster, etc.

it's not really hard to do.
I'll look into it again, but the photos made it look like it's a lot of work.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:40 AM
I would call an inspection shop and ask them the question first.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator
^^ wow that is way from left field, also holy crap do you guys really need such a huge sig pic? Its crap like this though that makes me happy I live in MN :P

Old 11-20-2011, 06:01 PM
^
Thats how I roll. Its actually sized down. I could give it full size if you would like. ;)

Old 11-20-2011, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
I know its a losing battle, I have tried in the past but there really needs to be rules about sig sizes. Maybe some day I will just post my full mod list in my sig.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:24 PM
^
Thats how I roll. Its actually sized down. I could give it full size if you would like. ;)

Old 11-20-2011, 06:28 PM
You really should post your list. I love your fit, and reading the lust after every post would make me drool every time.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
thank you, I like what you have done with your car. Your sig pic is just to damn big, lol, If I posted my full list it would take half the page haha

Old 11-20-2011, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
How about put your original wheels/tires that have TPMS inside the car and have another set as your normal set. So TPMS does not turn on in the dash and you also save $100 to reprogram the TPMS.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:32 AM
tin
5 Year Member
I thought about that for the inspection, but I shouldn't have to because TPMS isn't on the inspection list of items.

Originally Posted by FITMugen
How about put your original wheels/tires that have TPMS inside the car and have another set as your normal set. So TPMS does not turn on in the dash and you also save $100 to reprogram the TPMS.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:42 AM
tin
5 Year Member
Just did the inspection yesterday at a small shop that I went to once a long time ago. Passed with no problems, he said the TPMS light is OK, and the OBD II part of the inspection passed with no issues. Guess the TPMS light isn't logged as a trouble code.

This isn't one of those "wink wink, here's an extra $10 so ignore this light" inspections. It looked like he checked everything that the DMV site listed that should be checked. Since the dealer told me the TPMS light would fail the inspection, I suspect they would be using their own parameters for pass/fail based on the most money they can make, not by what is legally required.