Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Fit or Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 08:19 PM
Fit or Civic?

I'm still thinking to get either a fit or a civic coupe. My go is with the fit right now but price wize it's not that much off to get a civic with the same options. I've test drived both of the cars and the fit has more "go-kart" feel to it, as where the civic sits more like a sports car. I could always spend more and get the si version of the civic, but i don't see the point to get a fast car in the civic when i have a S2k for track and autoX. I don't need 4 doors as well. What are your thoughts? What convinces you all to get a fit instead of a civic?

Old 07-30-2006, 08:24 PM
Master FitFreaker
I say FIT cuz its made in japan 100%.....

Old 07-30-2006, 08:37 PM
I have an S2K as well ('02), and my wife has an '03 Accord. My '93 Civic is need of replacement, so I looked at the Fit mostly because of the extra flexibility in cargo carrying. I figured I could save a little money too, because I would not be satisfied with the Civic until I spent a couple thousand above the Fit's out-the door price.

Basically, the choice was between a base Civic (boring) or a loaded Fit (very cool and useful).

(Having driven my sister-in-law's Jazz several times when visiting her in Australia over the past 3 years helped, too. Nice car. )

JonasM

Old 07-30-2006, 08:52 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
I also have a S2000 and with the fit, it reminded me of my old Hatchback. I needed something better on gas and i just lkove the look of the fit. I drive civics and fits all day and I personally like the Fit better, but the civic is a great car for the money as well. Great gas mileage, good power, and EASIER to get than the fit. Basically it all comes down to preference. My mom was going to get a red spoirt AT but she chose to go with the red civic coupe instead.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
the FIT is go..

Old 07-31-2006, 12:35 AM
Having drove my Silver Storm AT Sport Fit for almost 2 months, I think I would now go with the Civic. Aside from the disappointing mileage (living in CA with the ethanol mix in the gas and the strict pollution controls on all vehicles) I've gotten, I found that the Fit struggles when climbing steep inclines and the ride is a bit choppy and not as smooth as I would like it to be. You can feel every bump on the road. For a little more money, you can get a more powerful Civic with better gas mileage and a longer track record of reliability. If you need the space for stuff, the fit would be a good way to go.

Old 07-31-2006, 01:46 AM
I'd go with the Fit for the cargo hauling capability - heck, if you really try I'd bet you could put the S2K inside the Fit :D If you don't need four doors, please give'em to me, I could use some spares... but please make sure they are white doors :p I love how stiff the chassi of the Fit is! I like the fact I can feel the imperfections of the road, more so now that I got 205/45-16's, but that just makes me feel more connected to the road. Sure it's underpowered, but I bought the Fit fully knowing I would do some modifications to squeeze more power out of the motor. Not only that, I'm waiting on some chassi reinforcement parts for my Fit, should make things even more interesting ;)

Old 07-31-2006, 02:39 AM
its the cargo space for me too. i am not worried about power at all, when i was researching, i was looking for the best econo box i could get and the fit was it, imho.

Old 07-31-2006, 02:53 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
100% made on Japanese soil...i like how we are unique for that

Old 07-31-2006, 04:49 AM
5 Year Member
Only these japanese needs to learn how to properly paint our cars!

Last edited by fm2n; 08-12-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:13 AM
Japanese, not "Japs".

Old 07-31-2006, 02:07 PM
06 Civic Vs 07 Fit

I, too, object to using the term "Japs". In our community, it is considered a racial slur.

My wife has a 2006 Civic EX 4dr auto purchased last December and I have had a Fit Sport auto for a month now. I purchased the Fit because I liked the cargo and handling capability. I had a 2001 Acura CLS which I sold when I got the Fit.

I like the ride of the Civic a little better. I feels more solid and isolates the bumps and road noise a little better. :rolleyes:

Performancewise, the Civic also has the edge although I think the Fit is more than adequate. The paddle shifters on the Fit enhance the driving enjoyment. The Fit handles better but the Civic is also fun to drive and is no slouch in that department.

Gas mileage wise, the Civic is getting about 10% better mileage. I am averaging 31 on the Fit and the Civic is around 34 mpg. This could be because my Fit is not fully "broken in" and lately, the mileage has been steadily increasing. I have about 1800 miles on it. This is doing about 60 frwy / 40 city type driving with the air on about 80% of the time. My tires are inflated to about 35 pounds on both cars.

Interiorwise, the Civic design is new so it is definitely nicer in my opinion. I particularly like the instrument cluster setup, sunroof, radio controls on the steering wheel, and outside temperature indicator. On the Fit, I miss the radio controls on the steering wheel and the sunroof that are available on the Civic. Both cars have quality interiors and are rattle free. The magic seats in the Fit are awesome and I use that feature a lot.

Sound system, I would consider a push. I think the Civic speakers sound a little better (richer) but the Fit Sport has a built-in equalizer that works nicely.

Overall, both are very nice and enjoyable cars and you can't go wrong with either. And if you should change your mind or taste down the road, both should be easy to sell and will retain their value far better than most cars. I have no regrets with either purchase.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by fm2n
Only these japs needs to learn how to properly paint our cars!
I keep hearing about "paint on Hondas". What's up with that? Peel? Fade? Chip? Is there a good wax to use? I've ordered a red one to come in October. Will I regret that?

Old 08-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Fit is hawt imo.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
I like the civic si, but if you don't need the speed (have already an s2000) then the fit will be more practical in the long run

Old 08-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Fit all the way

Old 08-02-2006, 01:16 PM
civic definitely.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
I think it's interesting that the Civic seems to get the same or better mileage than the Fit. The whole idea of the Fit was to have an entry level car with great mileage. I think Honda kinda blew it. I'd spend the $$ for a Civic and have a bigger, better riding car that gets the same gas mileage as the Fit. I do have to say that the Civic dash sucks big time. WHY did Honda screw up that dash???

Old 08-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by siguy
I think it's interesting that the Civic seems to get the same or better mileage than the Fit. The whole idea of the Fit was to have an entry level car with great mileage. I think Honda kinda blew it. I'd spend the $$ for a Civic and have a bigger, better riding car that gets the same gas mileage as the Fit. I do have to say that the Civic dash sucks big time. WHY did Honda screw up that dash???
the economy is probably related to power/weight. the fit is 22.3lb/hp where the civic is 19.1lb/hp. the civic's engine can move its weight around much easier than the fit.

you get used to the civic split dash. i really like the colored gauges, honda at least spent some effort where most manufacturers gauges are boring as sin.

the new honda speedometer would have been better as an ****ogue needle instead of digital though.

but if the new split dash annoys you too much, you can always buy a 2005 model. :rolleyes:

Old 08-02-2006, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit doesnt have better mileage than the Civic for two reasons:

1) Engine architecture. The L15 engine is older and inherently less fuel efficient than the new R18 engine from the Civic. The Fit will eventually get a newer, more fuel efficient engine, but that obviously wasnt going to happen in time for the 07 Fit.

2) Gearing. With such a small engine, the car must be geared to allow for better acceleration with less fuel efficiency as a tradeoff.

Regardless, the Fit mileage is still pretty damn good in my opinion. Much better than most cars on the road.

And Honda didnt blow anything. Fit and Civic sales are stellar.

By the way, I think the Civic dash is hot. Very futuristic, like a space pod or something.

Quick Reply: Fit or Civic?